Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2007, 09:58 AM

68 posts, read 250,684 times

Advertisements

Born and raised in Flint . Was a great city before the 60's . Moved then to the Clio area. Moved to Florida ,four years ago . Getting too much like the Flint area , and outrages taxes and insurance . Tennessee is going to be My new home .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,882,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michgoner View Post
Born and raised in Flint . Was a great city before the 60's . Moved then to the Clio area. Moved to Florida ,four years ago . Getting too much like the Flint area , and outrages taxes and insurance . Tennessee is going to be My new home .
You are like a lot of folks that move to Florida. They eventually go north again......part way. called " half backs ". I did that also , years ago , to NC.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Grosse Ile MI.

An unusual place. We are only 20 miles from Detroit and about 45 miles from Toledo, but we have virtually no crime to speak of except typical high school stupidity vandalism, stupid thefts (yard decorations, and occasional cell phone from a car, etc). Occasionally there are a few break ins, domestic violence incidents or drunken brawl type incidents. However real criminals are not going to bother with a place that you cannot escape from. Plus we have a really bored police force, many of whom want to be Rambo. A bad combination for bad guys.

The island is heavily wooded and covered with deer, rabbits, hawks, waterfowl, etc. Housing ranges from a 37,000 s.f. monster being built at a cost of tens of millions, to HUD homes with everything in between although it is generally upscale. Lots of really neat historic homes are available (we live in an 1836 home that was once used for trading with Indians).

People are generally friendly and very few are snobby. Schools are outstanding. Community involvement is pretty common and there are loads of neat and/or cute community events.

Potential downsides: The government is a bit over aggressive and confused about their role at times. A huge part of the population of the island disappears during the winter (Florida). The town itself is tiny. It is not a quaint old fashioned small town type place, but we do have an independent hardware store, bakery, grocery, a B & B and a dozen or so small shops and restaurants (plus the ubiquitous Kroger, Starbucks and Save On) If you are into fine dining, spending all day shopping, or urban living, this is not for you. There is no reason to visit here unless you are in a boat or an airplane, but it is a great place to live.

Overall this is an awesome place.

If you work in or near Detroit, and love water, this is about as good as it gets.

I really love the west side of Michigan though, especially the Northwest below the UP. (Along Lake Michigan). However My family is in Detroit area so I am here too.
The Island is interesting, however , I have friends that live there, they love it. But , seems to me , that its always a long drive to the north burbs, where all their friends live ! truly an osais on the south side......

Old 11-24-2007, 10:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,579 times
we live in capac, between flint and port huron. pretty bad here. lived here 35 yrs. and cant wait to move. i have never met so many self serving people in my life as i've watched our small town get taken over. my 2 kids cant even find work-thats pretty sad. ones in college and one is in 11th grade. we are looking to move to tennessee probably. dont forget to turn the lights out!

Old 11-24-2007, 03:30 PM

26,210 posts, read 14,824,312 times
Born in Kent County, raised in Ottawa County, went to college in Washtenaw County, worked for a time in Berrien County, and am now back in Ottawa County after getting laid off and finding a job in my home county...and my favorite county is Mason County!

I love Ferrysburg/Spring Lake and work in Holland.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,724,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
and my favorite county is Mason County!
Now here is a smart poster!

Born and raised in Mason County, and can think of no better place to raise kids and put down deeper roots. My family have had roots in Ludington/Scottville area for almost as long as there has been a Ludington and Scottville.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 3,047 times
Default someone PLEASE give me scoop on property taxes in holland

Can anyone tell me, once and for all....what would the property taxes be on a $400,000 home??

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgirl View Post
Can anyone tell me, once and for all....what would the property taxes be on a $400,000 home??
A lot depends on where you are. Water property has higher taxes, for example. You can figure 5,000 to 7,000 for an average , but , that will vary. The Realtor you are working with will have the tax numbers, and , the prospective increases,once ownership is transfered. If , not , ... find another Realtor.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,360,162 times
It also depends on the "zoning" "Code restrictions", Economic growth, and whether your in the City or county, and more.

Assessor | City of Holland, Michigan

Old 12-04-2007, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 8,011 times
B&R in Petown, Left because of the construction trades going bust.
I remember when this happend in the late 70s and it only turned around because of the auto industry making a come back, I dont see this happning again. Japan gave us a chance and we blew it on greed.
Detroit can not get it through their thick heads that big h2s and yukons are not going to sell.

Toyota and hybreads are where it is at. or alt. energy source cars.
I think between the greed of the auto industry and short sitedness and the greed of the unions they have worked togeather to kill the indsutry, while one was holding the spike the other was driving it in the coffin. And at the same time china and japan have ran past the us auto industry.
Coupled with a war gone bad, a dropping dollar,and a weak economy and getting worse it lookes bad for the whole country but michigan will lead the pack for the pain felt.
I know of some people who are hoping to buy a home cheap and have it turn around in the next year. I personaly do not think michigan can turn around in one year. I think it is going to be several years of hurt even if things were done now to start MI on the right path, it would take 3 to 4 years to turn it around, and this is if the whole economy does not flush.
Things are not looking good, and all the pundits that said things were not going to go into ressission are now saying not a bad ressission.
I dont see bottom yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan