U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
 
79 posts, read 352,875 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

I am a green-liberal as can be, but I think our current government here in MI needs some serious turnaround. I am not going to blame Granholm for much, because she is only one person, but she IS the governor after all and thus is responsible for the direction of the state.. We elected her and have every right as Michigan residents to demand fair and square that she make decisions that benefit everyone.

Who thinks that Michigan is ready for a conservative leader, perhaps lowering taxes, giving businesses better incentives to stimulate growth, cutting back on the welfare system (other than healthcare I mean), increasing revenues in smarter ways, etc?

Last, am I wrong about all this? Is she the best Governor that Michigan could ask for? I mean I'm all for women's rights, bashing dead beat dads until they don't even have money for food, etc.. but I can't honestly say that she's done much in the way of improving anything.. Is it time for a change? And other than DeVos, is there anyone else who is NOT a billionaire businessman (totally neutral) who will chage our state for the better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:58 PM
 
136 posts, read 459,545 times
Reputation: 50
I'll do it.

My plan:
1. Institute broad based tax fairness reforms. See below for examples.
2. Fix the damn roads - pledge ALL gasoline tax and vehicle fees to roads.
3. Eliminate state subsidized outsourcing. Adjust all state bids for the percentage of Michigan content. For example, 100% Michigan supplied goods and services receive a credit equal to the value of all the state taxes (and the federal taxes in the case of foreign sourced) paid in the production of that good or service. This would probably be on the order of 10 - 20%. Or in simpler terms, stop taking tax dollars from Michigan citizens and sending it to companies using foreign labor to "save" a few percent for the taxpayers.
4. Wean state employees off generous state benefits - let them take their chances with social security like the rest of us.
5. Encourage energy efficiency and clean practices. Do not increase property taxes for windmills, solar panels, geothermal heat pumps, etc. Do not charge personal property tax on fuel efficient vehicles. Offer sales tax credits up to $1000 on new vehciles for people who turn in gas guzzlers and old polluters for scrap. I'm sure there are hundreds of ways to reward those who spend their hard earned dollars to save energy and improve the environment without spending 1 cent of state money.

TAXES
Scrap the Proposition 2/ Headlee tax property tax nonsense but put some teeth back in the homestead property tax credit by removing the $1200 cap. No one should pay more that 3.5% of their income in property tax. Let renters base thier claim on the actual amount of their landlords property tax - not just 20% of rent.

Tax Pension and Social Security benefits but based on the federal income thresholds. There is no reason rich pensioners should get off tax free when people who have to save on thier own through IRAs and 401Ks pay.

Base Michigan income tax deductions on federal. This would bring in deductions for mortgage interest, taxes and medical expenses. As it stands now you can drain your IRA for major medical bills and good old MI will tax you on it. That's the thanks you get for being uninsured and paying your bill.

Increase sales tax 1% if necesary but STOP taxing rebates. I actually paid 8% on my last 2 cars thanks to that little loophole. And get rid of the real estate transfer tax. Aren't property taxes enough?

Incorporate realistic depreciation into vehicle ownership taxes. A 15 year old Cadillac should not cost more to plate than a new pickup (it does).

Reform the Michigan Catastrophic claims assessment on auto insurance. In no case should you be charged more premiums than there are drivers in the household. Or move it to a gas tax so those who drive the most pay the most. Or better yet eliminate it - 3 other states I've lived in didn't see the need to coddle insurance companies and trial lawyers.

Value existing Michigan businesses. Lobbying outside companies with tax incentives while you tighten the screws on existing companies is slap in the face. Instead institute tax policies that are favorable for everyone such as eliminating all non-real estate property taxes. Why should a business have to track and depreciate every office chair and desk. Why tax both the output of production and the means of production.

I could go on and on but I request campaign dollars to continue my message .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 AM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,513,127 times
Reputation: 8877
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgokid1 View Post
I am a green-liberal as can be, but I think our current government here in MI needs some serious turnaround. I am not going to blame Granholm for much, because she is only one person, but she IS the governor after all and thus is responsible for the direction of the state.. We elected her and have every right as Michigan residents to demand fair and square that she make decisions that benefit everyone.

Who thinks that Michigan is ready for a conservative leader, perhaps lowering taxes, giving businesses better incentives to stimulate growth, cutting back on the welfare system (other than healthcare I mean), increasing revenues in smarter ways, etc?

Last, am I wrong about all this? Is she the best Governor that Michigan could ask for? I mean I'm all for women's rights, bashing dead beat dads until they don't even have money for food, etc.. but I can't honestly say that she's done much in the way of improving anything.. Is it time for a change? And other than DeVos, is there anyone else who is NOT a billionaire businessman (totally neutral) who will chage our state for the better?
She's hardly the best governor Michigan could ask for, but it's not because she's too liberal, are you kidding? For one thing, she's going to go down in history as the Democratic governor most committed to Republican ideals in the nation's history. For another, it was a conservative government -- Engler's -- that got us into this pickle in the first place.

Well, not in the first place. Reagan, George the First and George the Second have been of no help to us at all. Engler nailed the lid down on Michigan's coffin, and Granholm is trying to get the lid off again using a nailfile instead of a crowbar. That's my take on it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
 
106 posts, read 396,823 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
She's hardly the best governor Michigan could ask for, but it's not because she's too liberal, are you kidding? For one thing, she's going to go down in history as the Democratic governor most committed to Republican ideals in the nation's history. For another, it was a conservative government -- Engler's -- that got us into this pickle in the first place.

Well, not in the first place. Reagan, George the First and George the Second have been of no help to us at all. Engler nailed the lid down on Michigan's coffin, and Granholm is trying to get the lid off again using a nailfile instead of a crowbar. That's my take on it.
Exactly, before Reagan and Bushes the country was doing awesome under Carter. Oh, wait....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 AM
 
7,359 posts, read 10,513,127 times
Reputation: 8877
No, not "awesome," but better than this! Don't forget the Clinton years, people. The country did better than it has in decades, Michiganders griped about Engler's disastrous money finagling but acted as if there were nothing they could do about it, and now we've twice voted in a governor who acts as if there were nothing SHE could do about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM
 
24,839 posts, read 34,950,344 times
Reputation: 11513
What ever happened to personal responsibly? Live within your means, in good times save. In hard times cut some more. Anyone on the INTERNET complaining does not have a problem. They have INTERNET and time to complain. Can't get a good job? Get two or three bad jobs, I did. I worked three jobs for a long time, then decided to start my own business. It is not for everyone but, if you look there is always an answer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula, Michigan
78 posts, read 340,034 times
Reputation: 59
Default Michigan needs RESPONSIBLE government

Since WWII, Michigan's economy has whipsawed from boom to bust with the rise and fall of the domestic auto industry. Historically, this economy has about 3-4 consecutive years of bust, cycles up to about 2 or 3 years of general okay-ness, followed by about 2-3 years of relative "good times".

During that 24-36 month period of gravy, Republicans respond by giving out tax breaks, while Democrats use these bumper crop times to bloat government. When we cycle back around (and down) we're inevitably left with too much government spending (thanks to the Democrats) and budget shortfalls (thanks to the Republicans).

Instead of giving out candies (tax breaks) and cookies (more government spending) to feed voters' sweettooths, our elected officials needs to demonstrate LONG-TERM fiscal responsiblity that recognizes the cyclical inevitability of our economy. Basically, we need to mandate set-asides that bank money during the sunny times for the always-looming rainy days.

Fiscal responsiblity is not a conservative or liberal, Democratic or Republican viture. It's just plain and prudent responsible stewardship.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM
 
121 posts, read 514,104 times
Reputation: 62
Another issue that is hurting Michigan is a general lack of innovation. Families who have worked in the auto industry for generations are too afraid to do anything else. Many feel their lives are over once they lost that good Union job.

One prime example of lack of innovation is the proposed rail line from Ann Arbor to Detroit. Whereas cities such as Houston, Minneapolis, Portland, and even metro Phoenix (arguably more car-dependent than Detroit) just rolled up their sleaves and got to work. They pitched for additional taxes in the form of a sales tax to pay for it and most people (in metro Phoenix especially) bought the pickle. Guess what? Their light rail line will open in December 2008 and Minneapolis and Portland and Houston's is up and running! Where is Michigan? The last I heard, they were proposing a $125 million dollar "study." MICHIGAN DOESN"T HAVE $125 MILLION TO WASTE!

Don't get me wrong, I don't think light rail is a quick fix. But it's innovative. It's new and trendy and most of all, it REALLY WORKS!

I don't buy the argument that Michigan is a "snowbelt" state therefore nobody wants to live there. Bogus. I think Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. Why is Minnesota running a surplus?? Hmmm...

We need to foster ideas and shrink the presence of the auto industry as quickly as possible. Just get it behind us. Michigan deserves better than a bunch of 30-something, whiny auto workers who are probably smarter than most people on this forum...if only they were willing to try soemthign different.

In the meantime, we should all continue to buy American when possible. The whole "car reliability" argument is over but of course, past experience and perception is everything. I've always said that Michigan's greatest asset is that her citizens have a very strong work ethic. Think I'm wrong? Come to Phoenix...home of the quick fix and zero-pride.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 09:36 AM
 
106 posts, read 396,823 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
No, not "awesome," but better than this! Don't forget the Clinton years, people. The country did better than it has in decades, Michiganders griped about Engler's disastrous money finagling but acted as if there were nothing they could do about it, and now we've twice voted in a governor who acts as if there were nothing SHE could do about it.
In what way were the Carter years better economically for the country than the Bush years? I'd love to see the numbers you're talking about. Ha!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 10:12 AM
 
121 posts, read 514,104 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
In what way were the Carter years better economically for the country than the Bush years? I'd love to see the numbers you're talking about. Ha!
I agree. I'm too young to remember, but weren't the Carter years as bad as this???
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top