Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
I guess I don't understand. I thought that was for PROPERTY damage. How could you cause more than 1 million dollar damage with your car?

Or is this for physical injury?
Hit three cars and a big truck.

Hit a commercial building or, a gas station and have it burn.....

Hit my well rig.

It is for physical damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:19 PM

167 posts, read 431,411 times
Lindseyup67, If you want to be truely informed as to Michigans No-fault insurance laws, check out some of the links below (there are many more). It is true that PIP (Personal Injury Protection) has always been a part of our no-fault insurance law, but there are some legislative changes to this law that will have a direct affect on Michigan drivers. Namely, the cap that will be imposed on the coverage amounts that will be afforded to drivers.
These changes are what seem to be driving the critics of this bill. What's most important here are the amounts of coverage. Under the proposed changes (of which there a few), a minimum amount of $250,000 would be applied by the "insurer" if an "insured" does not elect to choose from the other coverages provided. Coverages in the amounts of; $500,000, $1,000,000, and $5,000,000 can be purchased (at an additional premium cost) from the "insurer". Though these coverage amounts seem to be fairly large, they may fall far short of the benefits that could be potentially paid out over the course of a victims lifetime for the injuries sustained.
As there are to many things to consider here, I believe that our legislators should take an indepth look into this issue and weigh all of the aspects concerning it before making any kind of decision on it.

Michigan Legislature - Virtual Document Contents

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...1-SIB-0649.pdf

PLPD Insurance Agency| Insurance Terms

Last edited by merit1sje; 10-20-2011 at 10:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:44 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needing more View Post
I have heard of this new MCCA fee. We have an antique car (jeep) thru Hagerty insurance and our first yr with them was only $99 then they started this new fee and now its $250/yr... Its all that new fee! Sux!!

I would check around with Unitrin again. I dont care what the other 99% said. They were great with us.. We had a total loss claim 3 yrs ago (check to us in less then 10 days) and a comp claim a yr before that and no problems whats so ever.. and noone can touch their prices!! Its because they cut out the middle man. They dont have hundreds of store fronts open all over the US. Just one office in Cali. They have the same coverage as most places and I have a low deductable too. I call every yr or two and the other places still cant come close to their prices. I know I wont change!!
how do you contact them? the website doesn't include Michigan?

nevermind! quoted me a ridiculous amount.....

Last edited by tjay; 10-21-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merit1sje View Post
Lindseyup67, If you want to be truely informed as to Michigans No-fault insurance laws, check out some of the links below (there are many more). It is true that PIP (Personal Injury Protection) has always been a part of our no-fault insurance law, but there are some legislative changes to this law that will have a direct affect on Michigan drivers. Namely, the cap that will be imposed on the coverage amounts that will be afforded to drivers.
These changes are what seem to be driving the critics of this bill. What's most important here are the amounts of coverage. Under the proposed changes (of which there a few), a minimum amount of $250,000 would be applied by the "insurer" if an "insured" does not elect to choose from the other coverages provided. Coverages in the amounts of; $500,000, $1,000,000, and $5,000,000 can be purchased (at an additional premium cost) from the "insurer". Though these coverage amounts seem to be fairly large, they may fall far short of the benefits that could be potentially paid out over the course of a victims lifetime for the injuries sustained.
As there are to many things to consider here, I believe that our legislators should take an indepth look into this issue and weigh all of the aspects concerning it before making any kind of decision on it.

Michigan Legislature - Virtual Document Contents

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...1-SIB-0649.pdf

PLPD Insurance Agency| Insurance Terms
I can tell you lifetime medical has been a Godsend for us.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:41 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,550,533 times
Quote:
I guess I don't understand. I thought that was for PROPERTY damage. How could you cause more than 1 million dollar damage with your car?

Or is this for physical injury?
My thoughts exactly

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 AM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Hit three cars and a big truck.

Hit a commercial building or, a gas station and have it burn.....

Hit my well rig.

It is for physical damage.
I'm sorry Driller but you are talking about VERY unlikely scenarios. I understand your thinking: Why risk it? However, there's an element of risk in everything, so you have to weigh the odds and when they are microscopic, you can spend less and be 99.99% at peace.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I'm sorry Driller but you are talking about VERY unlikely scenarios. I understand your thinking: Why risk it? However, there's an element of risk in everything, so you have to weigh the odds and when they are microscopic, you can spend less and be 99.99% at peace.
Maybe it just depends on how much you have to lose.

I have worked to hard for to long to chance it.

Also, I have been on the receiving end.

That makes it very real.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 PM

As I have noticed some poster's with questions concerning PIP for historic vehicles and autos in general, here is a link to the MCCA website that will help. As of July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012, all insurance companies will be assessed (by the MCCA) $145 per insured vehicle and $29 for historic vehicles (this portion of the no-fault law became effective in July of 2003). This should be of particular importance and interest to needing more because for one: It is not a "new fee" (as your insurance company indicated) two: they charged you over three and a half times what the "set" fee was the first year and three: they are now charging you eight and a half times over what the set fee is. Arm yourself with an understanding of this law and use that knowledge to confront your insurance company about what they are charging you for and why.
MCCA > Home

Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Default check links

Quote:
What a UNHAPPY coincidence!
My insurance policy was up for 6 month renewal yesterday.
I just looked over my documents.
I just fell on the floor DEAD!!!

I got assessed some new fee called an MCCA premium assessment to the tune of $350 something dollars on a 6 month premium.

I called and was told it is a new fee REQUIRED by the state of Michigan. It is shared by all insurance providers to contribute to a fund for catastrophic costs. We all get to pay to provide funds to be used by anyone. Even those who do not pay and cannot afford to pay. She said I can't opt out. The only thing I can do is move out of the state of Michigan.

This is a new fee. I guess that is what all those commercials are about. I thought people were upset about their EXISTING insurance fees but evidently this is something new.
Check the links that I provided in my post to Lindseyup67. They may help provide some answers about the MCCA. The fee that you refer to is caculated by the MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association; which has been in existance for almost 40 years) and assessed to every auto insurer in our state of which by the way; if they write auto policys, they are required by law to be a member of. They then (obviously) pass this cost onto the policy holder and add on other fee's that they deem appropriate (at least to them). Check it out.

Last edited by merit1sje; 10-21-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 10-24-2011, 05:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,421,908 times
Reading this topic, I am getting very nervous. I live in NC. But I am moving to Farmington Hills in the next 6 months. I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ with full coverage and a $500 deductible including underinsured. I pay $276 every 6 months. But it looks like my insurance will go up big time once I move to MI!!! Does anyone know about renter's insurance prices up there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan