Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 16,430 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are from Chelsea, Michigan right outside of Ann Arbor. We have lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee the last three years. We are looking to make a move back to Michigan because we had our first child and want to live closer to family. I may have a chance to work in Flint. If this worked we would like to live between Flint and Ann Arbor. Are there any areas with great schools around flint? We love the small town feel of Chelsea. I don't want to drive more than 30 minutes from Flint.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM

33 posts, read 79,786 times
Ugh. FLINT!

Grand Blanc is nice. Davison is nice (though east of where you are looking).

Old 10-31-2011, 08:31 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,534,546 times
yes grand blanc is nice...the school are excellent as well

Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 AM

314 posts, read 436,696 times
My wife is from Grand Blanc and our son attended school there for a few years before we moved to Charleston, SC. The school system was really good.

For you, I think Fenton would be a better choice, really nice and about 20 minutes from Flint and it is between Ann Arbor and Flint.

I can not tell you what the housing is like since I haven't lived there in 7 years but I am sure others who do live in the area(s) can be of more help.

Good luck with your possible move~!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:06 PM

9,428 posts, read 10,700,516 times
Grand Blanc is a nice safe area, but I think Fenton and Linden are much nicer. Those areas have more of the small town feeling you are looking for, Grand Blanc is much more of a suburban atmosphere. Also Fenton offers much better US-23 access, so trips down to the Ann Arbor area are not that bad. Fenton has alot of restaurants and shopping, lots of things to do. Linden is more quiet, but only 10 minutes from Fentons amenities. I dont know much about the schools in that area, but I would assume they are pretty good considering the types of communities the those towns are. That data is easy to look up. (Meap scores, rankings etc.)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM

28 posts, read 63,658 times
Well I lived in the outskirts of Burton; which was nice.
Davison is nice with good schools.
Grand Blanc is nice but may be stuck up a bit as well as Fenton.

It really just depends on the exact location of the house. Go look at them and then look up the schools online. Take a visit to the school;thats most important.

I recently moved from Burton to Millville New Jersey and I did the same thing about where to live. People said Millville is no good and the schools are junk but I got here and the house is great! In a great quiet neighborhood with police as neighbors and the schools are wonderful! They are a thousand times better than the ones in Burton!

Old 11-09-2011, 11:59 AM

458 posts, read 1,265,995 times
Yay! Congratulations on moving back to MI from TN. We thank you greatly!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:49 PM

9,428 posts, read 10,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
Yay! Congratulations on moving back to MI from TN. We thank you greatly!

I take it you do not like Michigan people moving to Tennessee. I go to Tennessee alot and love the place, and almost all the people are very nice and welcoming. In fact at one time I considered moving there myself. However I do know there are some people like you who do not really want people from other states moving there. I guess that bothers me a bit and Ill tell you why. If you look at the history of our state you will see that much of our population has its roots in the south. Our auto industry is not in great shape today, but 80 years ago it offered the best jobs around. Hundreds of thousands of people moved up to Michigan to get those jobs. What states did most of them come from??? Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Those people were welcomed here and they changed our state. Our population more than doubled, our cities grew and we suffered all the growing pains that you have seen in Tennesse in recent years. At one time we were the boom state, the place to be. Things have changed and our state has begun to economically collapse. There are no jobs, our once growing cities are in steep decline. For that reason many people here are looking south and west for a new chance. They want the chance to start over just like those southern migrants wanted here in Michigan decades ago. When they get to thier new homes in the south unfortunately they will meet a few people who are not welcoming, those who say "yankee go home" or have license plates that say "happiness is a northbound yankee". To me that attitude is insulting since our state offered the sons of the south that second chance in the 1900s. Many of those southbound "yankees" that many native southerners rail against are literally the grandchildren of southern natives who moved north years ago. I guess it doesnt matter anyway, since those attitudes will not stop people from moving to your state, as long as the economy is good there and opportunity is there people will continue to move in. If you want people to stop moving there then wait for you economy to implode and you will get what you ask for. Untill that happens you will keep seeing midwestern license plates on the streets of you town. Consider yourself lucky, look at the Carolinas where the northerners moving there are from true yankee states like NJ, NY and Ma. At least in Tennesse your dealing with mostly midwestern transplants from In, Mi, Wi and Oh.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM

458 posts, read 1,265,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I take it you do not like Michigan people moving to Tennessee. I go to Tennessee alot and love the place, and almost all the people are very nice and welcoming. In fact at one time I considered moving there myself. However I do know there are some people like you who do not really want people from other states moving there. I guess that bothers me a bit and Ill tell you why. If you look at the history of our state you will see that much of our population has its roots in the south. Our auto industry is not in great shape today, but 80 years ago it offered the best jobs around. Hundreds of thousands of people moved up to Michigan to get those jobs. What states did most of them come from??? Kentucky, Arkansas, Tennessee and the Carolinas. Those people were welcomed here and they changed our state. Our population more than doubled, our cities grew and we suffered all the growing pains that you have seen in Tennesse in recent years. At one time we were the boom state, the place to be. Things have changed and our state has begun to economically collapse. There are no jobs, our once growing cities are in steep decline. For that reason many people here are looking south and west for a new chance. They want the chance to start over just like those southern migrants wanted here in Michigan decades ago. When they get to thier new homes in the south unfortunately they will meet a few people who are not welcoming, those who say "yankee go home" or have license plates that say "happiness is a northbound yankee". To me that attitude is insulting since our state offered the sons of the south that second chance in the 1900s. Many of those southbound "yankees" that many native southerners rail against are literally the grandchildren of southern natives who moved north years ago. I guess it doesnt matter anyway, since those attitudes will not stop people from moving to your state, as long as the economy is good there and opportunity is there people will continue to move in. If you want people to stop moving there then wait for you economy to implode and you will get what you ask for. Untill that happens you will keep seeing midwestern license plates on the streets of you town. Consider yourself lucky, look at the Carolinas where the northerners moving there are from true yankee states like NJ, NY and Ma. At least in Tennesse your dealing with mostly midwestern transplants from In, Mi, Wi and Oh.
Really, MI, WI, and OH are better than NY, NJ, and MA? Really? I bet they'd beg to differ.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:05 PM

3,392 posts, read 3,426,197 times
The fenton, lake fenton area, linden, and some areas of grand blanc plus holly are nice areas to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan