Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:50 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,442,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
Fun stuff if you are over 65.
Again, what does Michigan have to offer to attract and retain X and Y generations to stay here?
Oh, I see. There are plenty of Chuck E. Cheeses and carnivals that come into town. Now go out and play - if you're good, you can have ice cream and gumdrops when you get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 AM

314 posts, read 1,274,613 times
Quote:
Ok.
But what does Michigan have to offer to the X and Y generation?
actually a lot... many folks of this generation (current creative class) are starting to move to the downtown area due low cost of living and eclectic lifestyle avalable to them. Many people are finding that the cost of a shoe box in NY city will get them quite a loft in Detroit.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:29 PM

106 posts, read 572,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Oh, I see. There are plenty of Chuck E. Cheeses and carnivals that come into town. Now go out and play - if you're good, you can have ice cream and gumdrops when you get back.
You still have not answered the question.
So I will help you.
The younger generations (like me) are moving out after graduation because their is no reason to stay here.
No good jobs, no cool places to live, hang out etc.
(Detroit does not cut it, it is rated as one of Americas poorest cities)
No sense of future.
Just alot of tired looking old people sitting in a diner drinking coffee and chain smoking Marlboro's.

Michigan has nothing to offer, and when us GEN Xers bring up this subject as a reason for leaving we get answered with sarcasm.
Thank you for illustrating my point!

Did you see todays paper, how upset people were about the possibility of an amusement park being built in Grayling?
Was that you in that diner?

Last edited by mike jones; 09-02-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,485,933 times
Default Go Explore.

Quote:
You still have not answered the question.
So I will help you.
The younger generations (like me) are moving out after graduation because their is no reason to stay here.
No good jobs, no cool places to live, hang out etc.
(Detroit does not cut it, go visit downtown Chicago to compare)
No sense of future.
Just alot of tired looking old people sitting in a diner drinking coffee and chain smoking Marlboro's.

Michigan has nothing to offer, and when us GEN Xers bring up this subject as a reason for leaving we get answered with sarcasm.
Thank you for illustrating my point!

Did you see todays paper, how upset people were about the possibility of an amusement park being built in Grayling?
Was that you in that diner?

I Believe Cato is a Gen X'er despite the name he uses.
As for offering you Gen X and Gen Y anything. Well I see it like this. If your unhappy, I think you should go and explore the U.S. And see what other parts of the country can offer you. In my own case I move from my home state MA. to NJ. And to be honest I can wait to get back home. Now mind you the Boston area does not offer as much excitement and as much diversity in employment than Northern NJ. or NYC (20 mins away). But it just not home to me. The feel of the area is not what I'm comfortable with and want to get back to what I know. Grant on the other end of the spectrum one of my oldest and dearest friends moved to Tampa, Fl. and He loves it. been 8 years gone and is never coming back permanently to MA. So go explore and find what fit you and your wants and needs. Just know that what looks good when your visiting may not be so great when you have to live there.

also on last thing I kind of want you and as many people as you can bring you to leave the state. This is for my own selfish reasons. You see the more people that leave the state the cheaper the real estate will get. Then I can buy land dirt cheap and later say about 2015 - 2018 I can resell it for profit when Michigan makes it come back.

Buy low sell high

Good luck to you Mike.

P.S. I'm an X'er as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
Default You can find the good and bad in anything!

I Believe Cato is a Gen X'er despite the name he uses.
As for offering you Gen X and Gen Y anything. Well I see it like this. If your unhappy, I think you should go and explore the U.S. And see what other parts of the country can offer you. In my own case I move from my home state MA. to NJ. And to be honest I can wait to get back home. Now mind you the Boston area does not offer as much excitement and as much diversity in employment than Northern NJ. or NYC (20 mins away). But it just not home to me. The feel of the area is not what I'm comfortable with and want to get back to what I know. Grant on the other end of the spectrum one of my oldest and dearest friends moved to Tampa, Fl. and He loves it. been 8 years gone and is never coming back permanently to MA. So go explore and find what fit you and your wants and needs. Just know that what looks good when your visiting may not be so great when you have to live there.

also on last thing I kind of want you and as many people as you can bring you to leave the state. This is for my own selfish reasons. You see the more people that leave the state the cheaper the real estate will get. Then I can buy land dirt cheap and later say about 2015 - 2018 I can resell it for profit when Michigan makes it come back.

To Mike...
... I'm an Gen Xer as well. My thoughts are you can find the good and the bad about any place you choose to live. We lived in Seattle, WA and loved it but I also love it here in Michigan as well. We have over 11,000 lakes just in this state alone. Summer absolutely rocks here, you just have to choose to dive in and have a great time. Downtown Grand Rapids (where I'm from) is always hopping and is the big city feel but still small... anyone that is downtown loves downtown especially the GEN Y's and GEN Xer's (usually the ones without kids) because there is always something to do and some of the best places to eat and shop. Just my opinion... it's how you choose to look at things. If you move to Hawaii, there will be things there that you don't like as well.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:38 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,162,620 times
Not sure what the X and Y generation definition is to you? Mostly after high school age I worried about work, getting a leg up, putting myself through school, work. I'm not sure what anyplace else has to offer the X and Y generations to stay there? Really America has become pretty generic. Malls, shopping for entertainment, kids play soccer. Teens go hormonal and are impossible no matter where they are. Its all the same everywhere. So jobs in Michigan is problematic, for everyone of working age.
Otherwise, if you think Michigan doesn't have what some other place has go ahead and move. More room for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan