U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2012, 10:07 PM

2,939 posts, read 2,937,045 times

Advertisements

This is the warmest march I can remember. No its not the first time its gotten to 70 for one or two days, but it is consistently warm. The forcast shows this to go on for a while. Now I turn on the news and see tornados have hit southeast Michigan. This is march isnt it??? We dont usually have tornados untill May. I also noticed the video from Monroe county showed trees that looked like they were turning green already. Was I seeing things or is that happening down there? I live more in the central part of the state and we dont have trees greening up yet, but who knows maybe that is only days away. Anyone further downstate have greenery on the trees yet?????
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 11:41 PM

583 posts, read 445,723 times
Heard on NPR that the bears are waking up out of hibernation already. Here's hoping for a long summer!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:43 AM

8,018 posts, read 8,236,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Heard on NPR that the bears are waking up out of hibernation already. Here's hoping for a long summer!
I have been wondering about that of late. When I lived in NC the bears never took a long nap,like up here in da UP.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:19 AM

12,140 posts, read 21,987,417 times
I have a few trees in this area (around Ludington) that the buds are starting to open up. If we get the 65-70 temps they are calling for it will be most of them by the middle of next week.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
WOW...we're planning a trip and may be moving to Michigan from Florida to get away from the HEAT! Dear Lord I hope it doesn't follow me
Well actually, many of us were called " half Backs" IE: Florida to NC mountains also East TN. I would have to say The High country in North Carolina has more harsh winters than Michigan. I lived 18 years at 4,000 feet, we had some hellish weather 3 foot snows over night, to temp. spikes 25-30 below !. My well pipes.froze many a winter.
Yes, many may not believe what I say, but all the way up here in the UP, its getting warmer every year, and colder plus more snow in Middle America. Even Chicago has been getting a lot more winter weather than we are up north. It " only" going to be 60 today here in Marquette, maybe that will melt all but the snow in the deep woods.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 AM

2,790 posts, read 4,043,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Saw on the news yesterday a story about the DNR and local LEO's from Bay County tranquilizing a bear that had been hibernating in a culvert that ran beneath I-75. The bear will be re-located to a safer environment for him and traffic.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 AM

14,452 posts, read 12,701,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Saw on the news yesterday a story about the DNR and local LEO's from Bay County tranquilizing a bear that had been hibernating in a culvert that ran beneath I-75. The bear will be re-located to a safer environment for him and traffic.
Talk about crashing and not knowing where the heck you are!

Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 AM

363 posts, read 514,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is the warmest march I can remember. No its not the first time its gotten to 70 for one or two days, but it is consistently warm. The forcast shows this to go on for a while. Now I turn on the news and see tornados have hit southeast Michigan. This is march isnt it??? We dont usually have tornados untill May. I also noticed the video from Monroe county showed trees that looked like they were turning green already. Was I seeing things or is that happening down there? I live more in the central part of the state and we dont have trees greening up yet, but who knows maybe that is only days away. Anyone further downstate have greenery on the trees yet?????
LOL those must have been conifers you saw in Monroe. The grass has instantly started to green the past few days, but there is certainly zero greening up of the trees. The maples however do have red buds. A general rule of thumb here in SE MI is that the trees usually go bare right around Halloween and leaf up between mid-April and early May. This has potential to be the earliest greenup since 1945 here, and that is NOT good, for we will certainly see freezes in April and we usually see a few frosts in May as well. We certainly were due for a mild winter, but early blooms are nothing but a nightmare in a place where frosts almost surely lie ahead.

Speaking of winter, even with this paltry winter that just past seeing only 26 inches of snow in Detroit, the running 5-year average is STILL 60", in other words a foot-and-a-half above normal for Detroit!!!

Heres a pic I took of the approaching storm

Last edited by michsnowlvr; 03-16-2012 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Our maples have buds here in Marquette. Snow, well yes an average winter, but mostly above temps. I think we are coming in at around 170 inches .( they count our spring snows, so it could not be over yet. sure has helped with Coast Guard funding this year, none of the harbors froze over enough to call up the ice breaker.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM

3,221 posts, read 2,721,452 times
This warm weather is really having a scary effect. I had actually got some penny sized hail over here in Eastpointe. Hope this won't become a common occurrence this spring.

Tornadoes Rip Through Michigan, Destroy or Damage Over 100 Homes - ABC News

Video report: Tornado rips through Dexter - YouTube

IMG_0107.MOV - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan