Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,959,106 times

Advertisements

Source: Godfather Politics*|*It's Not Personal, It's Politics

Michigan is my home state. It just surprised me that according to this map, Michigan just joined the ranks of more obese states more southward...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:34 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,162,896 times
Sad it is.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 PM

540 posts, read 888,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Michigan is my home state. It just surprised me that according to this map, Michigan just joined the ranks of more obese states more southward...
If you are from here, then you really shouldn't be surprised.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,262,970 times
The question is, then, why is that? What about Michigan makes it more like southern states than it's more immediate neighbors? Is it because of the interconnection of the southern migration Michigan experienced during the height of the auto industry?

Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,541,445 times
Going more state specific, Wayne County has the highest amount of adults with obesity. But it's only by 3%. The state average is right around 29% -31%.

Diabetes Data and Trends

I think it's pretty much societal. More cheap processed foods and more inactivity due to technology. Healthy food is more expensive and so it shouldn't be surprising that poorer folk are more obese.

Also, OP's map is somewhat misleading, the entire country as a whole has ever increasing obesity rates. I would guess the fluctuations has to do more with income levels than really with anything else. Poorer people are more likely to be less healthier.

Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Data and Statistics: U.S. Obesity Trends | DNPAO | CDC

Also, that means poorer people with have to depend on the government for their healthcare costs. Not hard to see how this can become a deadly spiral unless we start getting healthier foods into low income communities. And I mean nationally.

I mean, just thinking about Detroit, how often do you see people jogging around and on a bike? I can go in to Grosse Pointe and see countless joggers and bikers. Though, for Detroit, bike riding is getting somewhat more common, but the city is still drowning in cheap fast food restaurants on every corner. But then also, you have that urban farming thing that's supposedly gaining speed, so who knows if that's enough to slow down obesity by itself? I wouldn't be too optimistic about it though. There still needs to be a fundamental change in what people eat.

But overall, I very much believe it's societal / income related.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:56 PM

850 posts, read 1,888,488 times
I agree that's its a national problem. Most of what people buy in the grocery store isn't real food. And if people took the time to learn what's really in their "food" they would probably stop eating it. Its all one big science experiment that is tested on our guinea pig society to make some big corporations that are closely linked to our government very rich. People think that's extreme and that it can't be that bad, but it is. This isn't an exaggeration. Health care will always be expensive and there is NO SOLUTION when all we eat are science experiment food that has DNA from a different species crammed into it, topped with chemicals, pesticides, fillers, dyes, salt, sugar and fat. And this is pretty much all kids eat nowadays. HELLO.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 AM

790 posts, read 2,310,878 times
I notice that the Hot & Now thread is up to 6 pages and the Jet's Pizza thread is up to 5 . . .

Old 12-02-2011, 01:17 AM

16,401 posts, read 30,807,449 times
Lay off me im starving!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:34 AM

88 posts, read 138,202 times
People could also just put down the fork.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,972,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
The question is, then, why is that? What about Michigan makes it more like southern states than it's more immediate neighbors? Is it because of the interconnection of the southern migration Michigan experienced during the height of the auto industry?
It's economic. High unemployment/poverty = obesity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: