Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 06:53 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

I'm a born, bred Michigan now living in OH. I'm rather embarrased at how little I know my own state but I never had the money or time to really tool around it I guess.
Now a friend an I want to do a long weekend type vacation in the northernish part of the lower UP (not way up in the tip). Hang out, do some hiking, drink some wine, drive around, leaf peep. We were thinking a B&B somewhere as a home base. This would probably be in early October.
Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Scout around on the waestern coast. It's beautiful and there are zillions of places to stay. May I recommend Petoskey?

Old 08-31-2007, 11:10 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,702 times
I'm a west coast fanatic here are some recommendations in no particular order:

Watervale Inn which is north of Arcadia and south of Frankfort. Great home base for trips to Frankfort, Sleeping Bear, Traverse City. Very beautiful and QUIET place.

Bestie Bay Inn in Frankfort.

Arcadia, Elberta, Frankfort is my favorite area of the state because there is not traffic, incredible beaches, light house, hilly (for those fall leaves). Maybe 2 traffic lights total in all three towns.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Oh, this is going to hurt. You'll learn how much better Michigan is than Ohio, and you'll be strangling yourself trying to get rid of the nefarious Buckeye chain.

Ignorance is bliss when you're stuck in Ohio.

Old 08-31-2007, 06:20 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,179 times
The Traverse City Convention & Visitors bureau has a really good packaged starting 9-13 going through 11/23. There are no B & B options, but there might be something else that would appeal. Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau

Sadly, the enhanced winery tour won't be offered in Oct. because Chateau Chantal is going to be too busy with their harvest, but there are plenty of other wineries you can drive too, or you can even do a wine tour with a couple of companies that will pick you up at your hotel and drive you around. If you'd like the links, just let me know.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,644 times
Default not north but still good

Recently moved west form Allegan Michigan and we (my girlfriend and I) used to go to Saugatuck a lot for weekend trips. They have wine, art, great food (the mermaid), and okay spots for some drinking. A lot of homes are available for rent for weekends and the beaches are not to bad either (saugatuck dunes). Plus they are really pet freindly so if you have a dog, no worries.

If you are certain about north I would say Traverse City is the best. My aunt has a bar in town so most of my advice for there is a little blurry....

Dont know if it helps

Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Personally I like Glen Arbor. Not much in town itself, but it is located right between Glen Lake and Lake Michigan. Quiet, but a short drive to the winery's on the Leelanau Peninsula, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and just a nice get away. Plus there is the Leelanau Coffee Roasters there and they have a fantastic Manitou Blueberry coffee that is out of this world good.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,535,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Personally I like Glen Arbor. Not much in town itself, but it is located right between Glen Lake and Lake Michigan. Quiet, but a short drive to the winery's on the Leelanau Peninsula, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and just a nice get away. Plus there is the Leelanau Coffee Roasters there and they have a fantastic Manitou Blueberry coffee that is out of this world good.
Thanks for the coffee tip; I'm signing up for their "Mud of the Month Club." Nothing like getting great coffee from home. Now if I can get Cherry Republic (also in Glen Arbor) to ship their chicken salad...I'd be all set.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:56 AM

13 posts, read 49,362 times
Default I know of a great spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I'm a born, bred Michigan now living in OH. I'm rather embarrased at how little I know my own state but I never had the money or time to really tool around it I guess.
Now a friend an I want to do a long weekend type vacation in the northernish part of the lower UP (not way up in the tip). Hang out, do some hiking, drink some wine, drive around, leaf peep. We were thinking a B&B somewhere as a home base. This would probably be in early October.
Any ideas?

You did say the northernish part of the lower UP, so I am assuming you meant the Upper Peninsula. I know of one - it's called Blueberry Ridge Bed & Breakfast on Oakridge Drive in Marquette Michigan. http://www.upbnb.com/c3.html This one is private and quaint but close to civilization. You and your friend would find plenty to do in Marquette and surrounding areas.

There's another one in Big Bay (a little more out in the middle of nowhere) called the Big Bay Point Lighthouse Bed and Breakfast. I have my own photo of this one attached below. REALLY beautiful area! This one is out a ways from any large town. Their phone number is 906-345-9957

Hope this helps - have FUN exploring the U.P.! It's gorgeous up here in the fall. Let me know if you have any other questions - would be happy to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Rec's for short vacation-big-bay-residential-lots-sale.jpg   Rec's for short vacation-big-bay-arial-light-house.jpg  

Old 09-08-2007, 06:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichCaliWash View Post
Recently moved west form Allegan Michigan and we (my girlfriend and I) used to go to Saugatuck a lot for weekend trips. They have wine, art, great food (the mermaid), and okay spots for some drinking. A lot of homes are available for rent for weekends and the beaches are not to bad either (saugatuck dunes). Plus they are really pet freindly so if you have a dog, no worries.

If you are certain about north I would say Traverse City is the best. My aunt has a bar in town so most of my advice for there is a little blurry....

Dont know if it helps
I agree with you on Saugatuck, they have a nice winery Fenn Valley for tastings. And you are correct on the B&Bs many nice ones right along Lake Michigan. Oval Beach is rated in the top 10 I've heard and the only place in the world that has "singing sand" when you walk on the beach it squeaks under your feet. Mermaid and The Blue Moon Bar & Grille would be my choice for dining.

Plus I would agree with the Traverse City comment if I were going to make the extra drive north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan