U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 10:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,820,206 times

Advertisements

Why not? Take away a few troubled metros and most of the State is pure paradise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 11:42 AM

3,120 posts, read 5,823,730 times
Quote:
If people are as SMART as they claim to be then opposition to programs to help the poor is often a conscious or subconscious attempt to preserve one's own status in absolute and relative socioeconomic metrics.
Comments like these are frustrating to me. If I claim to be opposed to government "help", either my motives are bad... or I'm not even aware of my motives? Well... that kinda sucks. I guess I lose either way.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:15 AM

13,819 posts, read 8,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Comments like these are frustrating to me. If I claim to be opposed to government "help", either my motives are bad... or I'm not even aware of my motives? Well... that kinda sucks. I guess I lose either way.
I have to admit that the quoted statement came across sounding more absolute then I actually believe the situation to be. I don’t believe that everyone who is against government helping the poor are consciously or subconsciously trying to preserve their own status. Indeed, there are even poor people who are against government programs.

As the old saying goes, “If you give a person a fish they can eat for a day but if you teach a person to fish they can eat for a lifetime”. What this parable assumes is an infinite supply of fish. It ignores the economics of scarcity and the management and allocation of scarce resources. Think about it. If fish is the staple diet of a people, but only a few people know how to fish, they can catch enough fish for sustenance, sale or storage, thereby essentially becoming wealthy. Those who do not know how to fish are then dependent upon those who do know how to fish for their survival.

Now ask yourself what will happen if the masses of people all of a sudden learn to fish? Once everyone becomes accomplished fishermen or persons, the supply of fish will diminish greatly because they are being consumed faster than they reproduce and soon those that were once wealthy from catching fish when others could not are now struggling to catch enough fish for their own sustenance. They can no longer profit from selling fish because they can only catch enough to feed themselves and others who they once sold fish to are now catching their own. Thus, people who are skilled often consciously or subconsciously know that it’s better in the long run to give a person a fish than to teach people to fish because the competition they create can threaten their own ability to survive or maintain their standard of living.

Of course a modern economy is a lot more complex than a fishing village, with people engaging in specialization of all different types of trades and essentially bartering through currency. However, regardless of modernity, the same principle holds true in that those with skills and abilities benefit from not a lot of people having those skills and abilities. Once you have enough people skilled in the trades that can produce the goods people need, then what do you do with the excess people or labor? There is not an infinite demand for skilled trades or trades in general. Those with skilled trades benefit from the excess labor not learning their trades and flooding the market essentially driving down the earnings of those trades.

Opportunity is not infinite because it is based upon finite resources at any given point in time. Hence, things can and do become zero sum economics as others gains become linked to others losses. The fact that there is growth in the economy mask the reality that the distribution of the pie still becomes a zero sum economics to a large degree.

I am just saying.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-10-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-03-2016, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-Hemi View Post
Welcome home they still haven't fixed the railroad tracks in Cassopolis by (fruitloop) energy. But I hate to say it after 40 years watching this state go down I am on my way out I've had enough the pay is good but they take more than I make overall, and it just isnt worth it. It will always be home to me and I will come back someday I am sure.
Hi, ironically, I now call Cass home now, having moved here from Columbus, Oh. I moved here to deliver RVs,initially post Katrina, then brought family here to Elkhart 1st, then Cassopolis. Everywhere else is ghetto compared to here. I'm lucky to have bought a house after the Recession priced it down to $27k, for a 3bd1ba 1acre in town. And my4teen kids, @very 'risky' developmental stage of life, I'm glad to see them doing quite well.
And good news... the RR tracks just got fixed , rt60 is repaving, parks are getting improved, new & old businesses are hiring. It's a nice little bustling town to be proud of. It's because of this less costly standard of living, the help I received from the caring community, the Govt assistance that keeps me from absolutely struggling and my own drive that guides my success.
I'm very happy and grateful to be able to call here home since my wife's health prohibits her from working, so without assistance, I'd exist but it'd be exceedingly difficult to accel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan