Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:55 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
After all, one doesn't go into politics for the money--it's for the good of the communit--right?
Resisting the urge to say something cynical and sarcastic about this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:57 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Michigan registration fees are based on manufacturers suggested retail price, which I suppose is loosely based on weight (in most cases). They used to be based on weight prior to '84.

I'm not sure how the new fees will be determined.
why did they change it?

It seems to me that is the best/fairest way to levy the tax.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:55 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Quote:
Obviously NOT millionares looking to increase their potfolios. Isn't that using the same thought the politicians use to justify cutting teachers pay and other public employees? Who wants to be a police officer when the pay is continually cut?
But we don't have a problem finding quality people for these occupations.

Quote:
After all, one doesn't go into politics for the money--it's for the good of the community--right?
And I suppose you work hard for the good of your employer? I don't think that is how it works. (Maybe a little, but I'd bet the paycheck is more important.)

Quote:
I think earning $100K + salary and EXPENSE accounts paired with lifetime health insurance and 45% retirement after 1 term in office is VERY good compensation...
Even if they could make much more than that in a non-government job?

For comparison, the President of Singapore makes $4.2 million a year. (ref: Singapore President's annual salary tops S$4.2 million - Yahoo!) and it has one of the least corrupt governments in the world (ref: Transparency International - the global coalition against corruption). It only makes sense: why would you be eager to accept bribes if they are a pittance in comparison to your salary?

Consider that a typical corporate executive makes many multiples of what a state Governor or the President of the U.S. makes. Is it any wonder that we end up with the people we do: community organizer, baseball team owner, country bumpkin, actor, peanut farmer? I think the average executive of a multi-national company could do a better job of running the country.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
why did they change it?

It seems to me that is the best/fairest way to levy the tax.
I suspect it's because around that time, cars were becoming lighter. Compare cars from the 70s to the 80s. Automakers were trying to reduce the weight of the cars to reduce their expenses. While at the same time, the costs of cars (manufacturers suggested retail price) was increasing.

So: weight is decreasing, price is increasing. Which should we tax?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Consider that a typical corporate executive makes many multiples of what a state Governor or the President of the U.S. makes. Is it any wonder that we end up with the people we do: community organizer, baseball team owner, country bumpkin, actor, peanut farmer? I think the average executive of a multi-national company could do a better job of running the country.

Good point. Who were some of our best presidents? People who never even finished college let alone ran billion dollar corporations--most grew up FARMERS and POOR---

WASHINGTON, JEFFERSON, MADISON, LINCOLN

It doesn't take a billionaire to do politics. I guess we have all accepted the fact politicians are corrupt so we need to give the billionaires more? MOst politicians (US level) already have millions and the system is one of the worse in the world.
The problem is we allow these weasles to spend MILLIONS for a job that only pays a hundred thousand or so? That would be like me spending $100K on resumes and business cards to land a $35K position...

Finally, lets end employees stealing by paying them more. We could virtually end theft as we know it simply by giving retail employees higher wages.
How do we explain the millionaire/billionaire drug dealers? Since they have so much why do they continue? Michael Vick? He had millions and still engaged in penny-ante dog fighting?
May be it really isn't just the money?

Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Good point. Who were some of our best presidents? People who never even finished college let alone ran billion dollar corporations--most grew up FARMERS and POOR---

WASHINGTON, JEFFERSON, MADISON,...
These three were not farmers, but "planters". That was a big difference. All three were among the wealthiest and most educated men in the country.

Quote:
...LINCOLN
Would be unknown today if not for the Civil War. Any person who was president during that episode would be notorious. But it is true that he was poor, unbelievably so.

Quote:
It doesn't take a billionaire to do politics. I guess we have all accepted the fact politicians are corrupt so we need to give the billionaires more?
I wouldn't say this is a phenomenon exclusive to politicians. If you felt that you were not being adequately compensated by your employer, wouldn't you at least be tempted to supplement your income?

Quote:
MOst politicians (US level) already have millions
But did those millions come from being in office or did they have it before being elected? I.e. they are not getting rich from their government salaries.

Quote:
and the system is one of the worse in the world.
And why is that? Could it be the people we are attracting to government offices?

Quote:
The problem is we allow these weasles to spend MILLIONS for a job that only pays a hundred thousand or so? That would be like me spending $100K on resumes and business cards to land a $35K position...
Most of the money spent is from people/corporations/organizations that expect a "payback" somewhere down the road. And a lot of politicians know that they can supplement their income by catering to them.

Quote:
Finally, lets end employees stealing by paying them more. We could virtually end theft as we know it simply by giving retail employees higher wages.
That's probably true, but that is up to the employer to decide. With our government, we must decide.

Quote:
How do we explain the millionaire/billionaire drug dealers? Since they have so much why do they continue?
That's how they make their money.

Quote:
Michael Vick? He had millions and still engaged in penny-ante dog fighting?
May be it really isn't just the money?
But the dog fighting wasn't incidental with being a football player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan