Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,913,806 times

Advertisements

Yes, the trains will be loud and you will feel them. You will also find that if you are especially close, the pictures on your wall with move every time the train rumbles through. You can probably learn to live with it. That is a great location!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM

214 posts, read 671,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insearchmom View Post
Hi back!!! thanks for the reply!
Yes, that is the subdivision. My other concern is that the house is close to the railroad, and I am worried that it might be loud. I was told that the trains blow their horns when they approach Okemos Rd. and Hagadorn, not in Hullet. Could anyone confirm this?
And would it be any ground vibration??? I had the same feeling when we went there! is like a small suburb, just that group of houses... but very close to the schools -which is great for us- and not so far from MSU.
Another concern is the safety of the zone, but I guess might be ok since is close to the schools and is a close area? OMG! so many things and such a short time!!! I hope we dont make a mistake!!!
P.
I lived off of Hagadorn by the train tracks, and yes, the trains go through 4 or 5 times per day (not usually in the middle of the night though). I have no idea if they blow the whistle on Hullett, but it wouldn't surprise me, they blow on much smaller roads. Your tolerance will dictate here, but I can say that you do get used to it after a while, and it didn't bother me terribly, but YMMV.

As for safety, you are not going to have to worry ANYWHERE in Okemos. The worst type of crime is usually theft, which happens in any nice neighborhood. Meridian Township cops biggest issues are drunk drivers and loud parties, and that's most in East Lansing (the part that's served by Meridian Twp). Seriously, you will not have to worry about crime at all.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 62,091 times
Thanks for all the comments
I think we had decided for Everett Woods... cross your fingers that everything works out well for us!
The fact that the YMCA is really close is a great bonus... and no train ;b (we are fans of the Y)
Please, dont stop sending me comments, recomendations, and advice, this forum is great! and all of you have being a great help for us!
Another question... like we are foreigners... how is the community with international people... with kids at the schools?
I've read that there is a 80% of only "white" kids at schools. Have you heard about problems for international people?
Here in Syracuse is very open, there is people from all different places and that is great! But I dont know much about Lansing... just that there is less international people around.
This sounds lame but I'm concern about everything right now! I'm sure everything is going to be great but just asking in case someone has something to say about it.
Thanks, and read you later
P.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:07 PM

92,014 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
I think we had decided for Everett Woods... cross your fingers that everything works out well for us!
The fact that the YMCA is really close is a great bonus... and no train ;b (we are fans of the Y)
Please, dont stop sending me comments, recomendations, and advice, this forum is great! and all of you have being a great help for us!
Another question... like we are foreigners... how is the community with international people... with kids at the schools?
I've read that there is a 80% of only "white" kids at schools. Have you heard about problems for international people?
Here in Syracuse is very open, there is people from all different places and that is great! But I dont know much about Lansing... just that there is less international people around.
This sounds lame but I'm concern about everything right now! I'm sure everything is going to be great but just asking in case someone has something to say about it.
P.
You are moving from Syracuse? I'm familiar with the Lansing area from my time attending MSU in mid 90's. To give an idea, East Lansing is similar to say a mix of the Eia
ast Side of Syracuse and DeWitt in the Jamesville-DeWitt SD. Okemos is similar to the Fayetteville-Manlius area, but slightly more diverse. Basically, the East Side and Eastern suburbs of both areas are very similar in terms of a major university influence, diversity, being more upper middle class and having good schools in those suburbs. Both are areas of those metros with more of a liberal vibe too. To be honest, the only difference is that Syracuse is bigger, and has a more vibrant Downtown, but Lansing's suburbs seem to be
a little bit more diverse. For instance, we don't have a suburb as diverse as the Waverly
area in terms of volume, but it is probably in line with say the most diverse part of say
Clay. Give or take, you should be fine.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-14-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-14-2012, 11:09 PM

214 posts, read 671,051 times
Quote:
P.
If diversity is really a key, Okemos is probably not the right fit. Honestly, it's going to be white with a smattering of asians/indians (not native americans), and a handful of token african-americans.

The schools are better, the homes are nicer (debatable, because there are great neighborhoods in East Lansing -- don't hesitate to look at Whitehills (the original, not lakes or woods), or at the Glencairn neighborhood). Both of those areas have homes that are nicer than anything in Okemos, unless you consider McMansions desirable, and if that's the case, Okemos has that in spades.

East Lansing is MUCH more diverse, but not nearly as uniformly upper-middle-class. There is a lower-class area in EL, but it's not ghetto at all, just low(er) class than the majority of EL. Due to housing the 7th largest university in the US with over 47k students, you have a lot of international students, a lot of regional students, and there is a percentage (especially with young professors and grad students) that have families. Most choose to live in EL. They like the urban character of the downtown (well, all 6x2 blocks of it), and being close to the University. There are many ethnic enclaves. The suburbs (i.e. Okemos and Haslett) are a bit bland, but you are still very, very close, so you can enjoy downtown EL without ever having to live there.

I guess it just depends what you want. Lansing is not a super-large metro (coming in around 300k). It's not tiny, but it's nothing like metro Detroit or Grand Rapids, and I'm sure it's still less than half the size of Syracuse, although I could be wrong about that.

That being said, Upstate NY and Michigan are very similar in terms of vibe, people, pace of life, etc. People often forget that a lot of MI was settled by Upstate NYers back in the day, and with the minor issue of a bit of Canada in between, you can get from Lansing to Buffalo, NY in less than 5 hours (well, traffic permitting). You'll probably be very comfortable, and the last poster who knows both areas is probably spot-on with the comparisons.

Glad we could help, and I hope you enjoy your time in Mid-Michigan. I've been here for 16 years and I haven't left. Laid down roots, had a couple kids, got a real college degree, and love it. Close enough to the Metro-D and GR for convenience (but without the traffic), and within 3 hours of Chicagoland if the big-city is your thing. Also never more than 80 miles from a great lake (although the lansing area does lack recreational lakes, unfortunately). You can seriously have a great time here, and it's a great place to live. Not too big to get congested and have rush-hour, but busy enough that you see people on the streets enjoying themselves.

Last edited by caspper69; 06-14-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspper69 View Post
If diversity is really a key, Okemos is probably not the right fit. Honestly, it's going to be white with a smattering of asians/indians (not native americans), and a handful of token african-americans.

The schools are better, the homes are nicer (debatable, because there are great neighborhoods in East Lansing -- don't hesitate to look at Whitehills (the original, not lakes or woods), or at the Glencairn neighborhood). Both of those areas have homes that are nicer than anything in Okemos, unless you consider McMansions desirable, and if that's the case, Okemos has that in spades.

East Lansing is MUCH more diverse, but not nearly as uniformly upper-middle-class. There is a lower-class area in EL, but it's not ghetto at all, just low(er) class than the majority of EL. Due to housing the 7th largest university in the US with over 47k students, you have a lot of international students, a lot of regional students, and there is a percentage (especially with young professors and grad students) that have families. Most choose to live in EL. They like the urban character of the downtown (well, all 6x2 blocks of it), and being close to the University. There are many ethnic enclaves. The suburbs (i.e. Okemos and Haslett) are a bit bland, but you are still very, very close, so you can enjoy downtown EL without ever having to live there.

I guess it just depends what you want. Lansing is not a super-large metro (coming in around 300k). It's not tiny, but it's nothing like metro Detroit or Grand Rapids, and I'm sure it's still less than half the size of Syracuse, although I could be wrong about that.

That being said, Upstate NY and Michigan are very similar in terms of vibe, people, pace of life, etc. People often forget that a lot of MI was settled by Upstate NYers back in the day, and with the minor issue of a bit of Canada in between, you can get from Lansing to Buffalo, NY in less than 5 hours (well, traffic permitting). You'll probably be very comfortable, and the last poster who knows both areas is probably spot-on with the comparisons.

Glad we could help, and I hope you enjoy your time in Mid-Michigan. I've been here for 16 years and I haven't left. Laid down roots, had a couple kids, got a real college degree, and love it. Close enough to the Metro-D and GR for convenience (but without the traffic), and within 3 hours of Chicagoland if the big-city is your thing. Also never more than 80 miles from a great lake (although the lansing area does lack recreational lakes, unfortunately). You can seriously have a great time here, and it's a great place to live. Not too big to get congested and have rush-hour, but busy enough that you see people on the streets enjoying themselves.
I totally agree, as Michigan outside of Detroit and Upstate NY north of say the Hudson Valley are very similar. To add to the similarities, even some of the town/community names are the same. For instance, I grew up in the town of Onondaga just outside of syracuse. There is an Onondaga just outside of Lansing. There is a Lansing, which is a suburb of Ithaca, which there is also an Ithaca not too far from Lansing MI. Charlotte is a neighborhood(and former village) in Rochester NY and is pronounced the same way as Charlotte in Eaton County. I could go on and on, but you can find many of the same names for places in both states.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:07 PM

I'm so pleased about all the comments, and also that there is people like you, friendly and helpful
I'm sure we'll be fine and will make it home. We were really looking forward to find a place similar to Syracuse, and I thinks Lansing, Michigan is PERFECT, besides my brother lives in Toronto (really close from us now) and we will still be close to him! How awesome is that!??!?! All this change and my husband getting a job in Lansing it's being a bless!
Keep me posted with anything you want to share, I always apreciate the comments and get all happy when I see a post
Read you later!
P.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I'm so pleased about all the comments, and also that there is people like you, friendly and helpful
I'm sure we'll be fine and will make it home. We were really looking forward to find a place similar to Syracuse, and I thinks Lansing, Michigan is PERFECT, besides my brother lives in Toronto (really close from us now) and we will still be close to him! How awesome is that!??!?! All this change and my husband getting a job in Lansing it's being a bless!
Keep me posted with anything you want to share, I always apreciate the comments and get all happy when I see a post
Read you later!
P.
If you don't mind me asking, what area of Syracuse do you live in? That could help in making a decision.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM

Not at all!
I live close to SU, my husband was an ESF grad student. We are very close to Barry Park, arround Wescott. Not so close to the students area but not far either. It's really nice here, the neighborhood we live is mostly homeowned and very friendly. We were looking for something like this and I think that Everett Woods will make it
For all that I heard is really nice and we liked the area very much when we went there. We love to see the kids on their bikes and the people working-walking outside. It was just the right vibe you know?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 AM

Hi everybody! I was checking for the school district in Hasllet and there are 2 elementary schools, Ralya and Murphy.
I was wondering if someone has any comments or recomendations about them? Is any better than the other?
Thanks a lot
P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan