U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM

4 posts, read 19,790 times

Advertisements

Any advice on Kalamazoo neighborhoods to find a house in the $100K to $140K price range that has the following:

1. Low crime rate, pride in homes
2. Walkable to restaurants, parks
3. Somewhat near bike paths

I am not a big fan of new construction and like the style of houses in the 1940s and 1950s. We have seen numerous houses and there seems to be potential in Milwood. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM

412 posts, read 599,640 times
For the most part all of Kalamazoo is relatively safe with the exception of a few neighborhoods in the downtown/north side areas. If you drive through an area it will be pretty easy to tell what you're getting into. With your price range will likely keep you out of any of the "rougher" neighborhoods. Have you checked into Portage at all? You'll be likely to find a steal on something newer and IMO it's a better overall vibe.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:21 PM

esnox82--In the past 6 weeks, we've looked at about 15 houses in both Kalamazoo AND Portage. Portage seems more spread out, but I do like their extensive network of bicycle paths. My girlfriend works at Stryker, so we're trying to get within a 10 minute commute. We drove around Milwood and Edison this past weekend--some of Edison looked sketchy. Liked a house in Milwood, but it only had a 1 car garage and single car width driveway.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

5 posts, read 14,056 times
Hi did you find a place to live? We are considering a move to the Zoo too.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 2,690,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esnox82 View Post
For the most part all of Kalamazoo is relatively safe with the exception of a few neighborhoods in the downtown/north side areas. If you drive through an area it will be pretty easy to tell what you're getting into. With your price range will likely keep you out of any of the "rougher" neighborhoods. Have you checked into Portage at all? You'll be likely to find a steal on something newer and IMO it's a better overall vibe.
What would you consider a steal in that area now? I wouldn't mind finding a steal on a 3/2, 1/4-1/3 acre...would like a basement , but not neccessary.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucina1 View Post
Hi did you find a place to live? We are considering a move to the Zoo too.
Yes, we moved to Vicksburg, MI. Found a 1500 sqft house, built in 1996, on 1/2 acre within our price range. We're less than a mile from Vicksburg village limits and within 10-15 minutes of everything in Portage. Thus far, haven't had a need to even go into Kalamazoo. We have a Rails to Trails bikeway behind our house and can get to Portage Bikeways within minutes.

Vicksburg has three pubs that all serve good food--especially the Village Hideway, two pizza joints, a Mexican restaurant, two pharmacies, three banks, two butchers, four or five hair places, three gas stations, one hardware store, one grocery that had better than expected selection, and a party store. Just about everything we need can be found in Vicksburg.

Based upon our house search experience I would only advise the following:

1. Don't discount Vicksburg with all it has to offer.
2. If deciding between Kalamazoo or Portage, choose Portage.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 PM

17 posts, read 28,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentwater View Post
1. Don't discount Vicksburg with all it has to offer.
2. If deciding between Kalamazoo or Portage, choose Portage.
Just depends what you're looking for I guess. Vicksburg is a small, rural village.

Portage isn't walkable at all. It doesn't even have a downtown area. It's just one big road (S. Westnedge) with a bunch of chain restaurants and strip malls.

Kalamazoo actually has some culture to it and is definitely more walkable than Portage. Anything not on the Northside, and pockets of Milwood area are safe. WMU, the unique, fantastic restaurants, the many Summer festivals, the free concerts in Bronson Park on Sundays, Bells Brewery, I don't know why anyone would choose to live in Portage tbh. Like I said, just depends what you're looking for.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:51 PM

235 posts, read 456,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoodude View Post
Just depends what you're looking for I guess. Vicksburg is a small, rural village.

Portage isn't walkable at all. It doesn't even have a downtown area. It's just one big road (S. Westnedge) with a bunch of chain restaurants and strip malls.

Kalamazoo actually has some culture to it and is definitely more walkable than Portage. Anything not on the Northside, and pockets of Milwood area are safe. WMU, the unique, fantastic restaurants, the many Summer festivals, the free concerts in Bronson Park on Sundays, Bells Brewery, I don't know why anyone would choose to live in Portage tbh. Like I said, just depends what you're looking for.
Completely agree. To each their own!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM

302 posts, read 614,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoodude View Post

I'd have to agree with this comment here.
I went to school at Western Michigan University, and I much preferred Kalamazoo to Portage. Downtown Kalamazoo is very walkable, Kalamazoo has lots of great restaurants (La Pinata, Campus Kitchen Chinese restaurant, Roma's Pizza, Shawarma King), always lot's of things going on at the college and other places. Plus you could get into the Kalamazoo Ten movie theater for four dollars with a student ID :-).
Where as in Portage if you try footing it you are liable to get yourself hit by a car, it's pretty much all strip malls. I don't remember ever eating at any restaurants there that weren't chains. Basically the only reason I ever went into Portage was to go to the mall and visit friends.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 AM

204 posts, read 331,594 times
I used to live downtown Kzoo (above Monaco Bay) and loved being downtown. During the Summer there is always some kind of festival going on in Concordia? Park right across the street. You can get an old house with tons of character and cool architecture downtown. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan