Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:08 AM

13 posts, read 49,293 times

Advertisements

I meant this to be a positive thread where ideas were shared. Sometimes it helps people feel better to do something proactive - however small it may be. So I thought I would open a dialogue with that intent. Please don't assume that because I am a positive person I am unintelligent. I understand the state of Michigan's economy and have had my share of Economics and Political Science courses. Unfortunate that this has been used as another a platform to complain.

Our economy in the Marquette area is doing well - Tourism, Mining, and Logging. The median home price is up 3.9% from last year and a 12.6% increase in monthly sales volume from a year ago. We have new businesses coming in and existing businesses growing - lots of construction. Many of our old sandstone historic buildings are being renovated and house new flourishing businesses, 5 new restaurants going in downtown. I wish that I was allowed to include links because there have been several articles done recently on our area. Here are some excerpts...

Recent USA Today article highlighting our local housing market...
"The Mackinac Bridge connects the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to the Lower Peninsula. The U.P., as the Upper Peninsula is called, stands apart, geographically and economically, from the lower land mass."

Recent Mlive.com article...
"MARQUETTE -- Take a historic town filled with red sandstone buildings adorned with elaborate carvings, clock towers and copper domes. Place along 180 acres of pure sand and rocky cliffs, and nestle into rolling swaths of forest. Add a rich multicultural heritage, translated to great ethnic food. Top with an eclectic college town vibe. And you've got the perfect long weekend in a city recently named one of America's most livable communities.
In many ways, Marquette is also one of the most visit-worthy -- and getting more so. In the next year, five new restaurants including a new harbor-side wine and coffee bar are slated to open in a downtown already packed with specialty shops and ethnic eateries. The biggest problem you'll face is what to visit first in a county larger than the entire state of Rhode Island. So we've helped by mapping out a perfect Marquette-centered getaway weekend in what locals aptly call a "civilized wilderness."

Recent Chicago Tribune article...
"Marquette: At Marquette, climb the high places around the harbor city to take in the expanse of wilderness. Undulating forests stretch for miles. The green of pine, spruce and balsam mix with iridescent hues of northern hardwoods, like color guards marching up mountains and down valleys.

From the parking area, a 20-minute climb takes hikers up Sugarloaf Mountain. Wooden stairs span rugged areas. At the wind-blown top, miles of forests roll toward the south and west, with Superior stretching along the northern horizon. Trails up nearby Hogsback Mountain are more rugged; rewards are more wilderness, more scenery.

East of the city, lovers of heights can drive to the top of Marquette Mountain, with only a short walk over boulders to reach the viewing area. This is also a favorite of bikers.

Follow County Road 550 northwest toward the village of Big Bay for Gobbler's Knob. There are no signs to this peak; ask the locals. Drive to the parking area. Hike the path to the rock outcroppings at the top. It opens to distances more than 30 miles away, to forests with colors gone wild.

For Marquette lodging with pampered comforts, register at the Landmark Inn. It's a restored 1930 hotel overlooking the harbor. Another escape waits down the street at Vierling's Restaurant, an 1883 saloon restored as a gourmet restaurant and brewery"

Thanks for the ideas MainStreet...
"I don't buy anything until I cross the boarder into Michigan. When I camp, I don't buy a bit of food until I'm in Michigan. Once we are there, we go and buy everything we need, food, ice, extra anything. I also fill up on gas before I leave. I'm fully aware when I'm putting my money. I also talk everyone I know into taking a vacation in SW Michigan. I have converted many families over the last 20 years that I've been away."

and the photos from Torrid and Main Street are beautiful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 08:48 AM

282 posts, read 1,165,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Cosco View Post
I meant this to be a positive thread where ideas were shared. Sometimes it helps people feel better to do something proactive - however small it may be. So I thought I would open a dialogue with that intent. Please don't assume that because I am a positive person I am unintelligent. I understand the state of Michigan's economy and have had my share of Economics and Political Science courses. Unfortunate that this has been used as another a platform to complain.

Our economy in the Marquette area is doing well - Tourism, Mining, and Logging. The median home price is up 3.9% from last year and a 12.6% increase in monthly sales volume from a year ago. We have new businesses coming in and existing businesses growing - lots of construction. Many of our old sandstone historic buildings are being renovated and house new flourishing businesses, 5 new restaurants going in downtown. I wish that I was allowed to include links because there have been several articles done recently on our area. Here are some excerpts...

Recent USA Today article highlighting our local housing market...
"The Mackinac Bridge connects the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to the Lower Peninsula. The U.P., as the Upper Peninsula is called, stands apart, geographically and economically, from the lower land mass."

Recent Mlive.com article...
"MARQUETTE -- Take a historic town filled with red sandstone buildings adorned with elaborate carvings, clock towers and copper domes. Place along 180 acres of pure sand and rocky cliffs, and nestle into rolling swaths of forest. Add a rich multicultural heritage, translated to great ethnic food. Top with an eclectic college town vibe. And you've got the perfect long weekend in a city recently named one of America's most livable communities.
In many ways, Marquette is also one of the most visit-worthy -- and getting more so. In the next year, five new restaurants including a new harbor-side wine and coffee bar are slated to open in a downtown already packed with specialty shops and ethnic eateries. The biggest problem you'll face is what to visit first in a county larger than the entire state of Rhode Island. So we've helped by mapping out a perfect Marquette-centered getaway weekend in what locals aptly call a "civilized wilderness."

Recent Chicago Tribune article...
"Marquette: At Marquette, climb the high places around the harbor city to take in the expanse of wilderness. Undulating forests stretch for miles. The green of pine, spruce and balsam mix with iridescent hues of northern hardwoods, like color guards marching up mountains and down valleys.

From the parking area, a 20-minute climb takes hikers up Sugarloaf Mountain. Wooden stairs span rugged areas. At the wind-blown top, miles of forests roll toward the south and west, with Superior stretching along the northern horizon. Trails up nearby Hogsback Mountain are more rugged; rewards are more wilderness, more scenery.

East of the city, lovers of heights can drive to the top of Marquette Mountain, with only a short walk over boulders to reach the viewing area. This is also a favorite of bikers.

Follow County Road 550 northwest toward the village of Big Bay for Gobbler's Knob. There are no signs to this peak; ask the locals. Drive to the parking area. Hike the path to the rock outcroppings at the top. It opens to distances more than 30 miles away, to forests with colors gone wild.

For Marquette lodging with pampered comforts, register at the Landmark Inn. It's a restored 1930 hotel overlooking the harbor. Another escape waits down the street at Vierling's Restaurant, an 1883 saloon restored as a gourmet restaurant and brewery"

Thanks for the ideas MainStreet...
"I don't buy anything until I cross the boarder into Michigan. When I camp, I don't buy a bit of food until I'm in Michigan. Once we are there, we go and buy everything we need, food, ice, extra anything. I also fill up on gas before I leave. I'm fully aware when I'm putting my money. I also talk everyone I know into taking a vacation in SW Michigan. I have converted many families over the last 20 years that I've been away."

and the photos from Torrid and Main Street are beautiful. Thank you.
While the UP is beautiful this is a joke right? You bought into all this stuff b/c you took some classes and read articles? "Gourmet resaurant and brewery." Excellent economy builders. Open an auto factory.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 6,188 times
This is a joke, marquette is not doing "well"
The housing market is not robust.
Moderator cut: rude
the up is doing worse than the lower that is a fact.
Marquette has a students that bring in some money for the local bars and rentals. but other than that the town is not doing "great" Please dont try to sell this to the public in general.
Marquette home sales according to the michigan realtors says that homes sales have dropped 3.5% compared to lansing which dropped in the same time 3.9% grand rapids a drop of 6.1% and detroit dropped 9.7%, so please dont tell people marquette is doing great and homes sales are going up.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-10-2007 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 AM

13 posts, read 49,293 times
RodgerDoger - Go to the Michigan Association of Realtors site click on housing statistics. Scroll down. The statistics that I was using were quoted in the USA Today article that I mentioned. Apparently they used the May stats. Regardless - if you look at any month in 2007 you'll see there was an increase in either volume sales or average sale price (or both in all but one month) for the Upper Peninsula Association of Realtors. I do not share your perception of Marquette County, I am proud of my town, enjoy living here, and know many people who feel the same way. You can say what you want about my positive attitude, but please don't accuse me of lying ("out and out falsehoods") or "cooking the books". I quoted documented facts.

I was excited about this forum the other day when I found it. Was hoping to share Michigan experiences with folk and help people who needed info about our area. But the forum is saturated with neigh sayers and outwardly angry peeps. Won't be taking part anymore - have other more positive things to do with my time. Thank you to those who had constructive things to say.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,188 times
USA today has not got a handle on the michigan economy, so please dont use the tooth fariy to see how things are going in michigan, this is the same rag that said the us econmoy is doing well a month ago.
We are not doing well, and you can see it in the people who live there.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 3,082 times
Default Help Michigan

Jen: Great comments about helping Michigan. I agee with you. I've lived in several other areas . . . (not as many as you) and agree that Michigan is where I wanted to build my business and raise my kids.

I heard Jim Epolito speak for the Lansing Chamber a few years ago. He pointed out the same . . . it seems alot of people in Michgan just don't appreciate what they have. He is from Pittsburg, Pa and made several comments about why Pittsburg might not be a choice place to live, but the people in Pittsburg love Pittsburg. They LOVE Pittsburg. He continued to say that we, the people of Michigan, need to get what they have . . . and LOVE OUR MICHIGAN.

I like the idea of putting pictures up of Michigan . . . I am going to do that.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,780,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Cosco View Post
RodgerDoger - Go to the Michigan Association of Realtors site click on housing statistics. Scroll down. The statistics that I was using were quoted in the USA Today article that I mentioned. Apparently they used the May stats. Regardless - if you look at any month in 2007 you'll see there was an increase in either volume sales or average sale price (or both in all but one month) for the Upper Peninsula Association of Realtors. I do not share your perception of Marquette County, I am proud of my town, enjoy living here, and know many people who feel the same way. You can say what you want about my positive attitude, but please don't accuse me of lying ("out and out falsehoods") or "cooking the books". I quoted documented facts.

I was excited about this forum the other day when I found it. Was hoping to share Michigan experiences with folk and help people who needed info about our area. But the forum is saturated with neigh sayers and outwardly angry peeps. Won't be taking part anymore - have other more positive things to do with my time. Thank you to those who had constructive things to say.
Isn't it sad? Never in my life, have I seen so many negative things said, until I joined this board. And honestly, it's half the reason I rarely post here anymore.

Unfortunately, there are just some people in life who are happiest when they are putting others down and being negative. I think your posts were great, and I hope you keep them coming!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:26 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Isn't it sad? Never in my life, have I seen so many negative things said, until I joined this board. And honestly, it's half the reason I rarely post here anymore.

Unfortunately, there are just some people in life who are happiest when they are putting others down and being negative. I think your posts were great, and I hope you keep them coming!
Ditto. For better or worse, this forum is now fully dominated by a very small minority who eventually get banned for their incessant flaming. Soon enough, they pop back up under a different alias but it's pretty obvious that it's the same 5-6 people.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:33 PM

412 posts, read 1,026,766 times
I've sent a ton of money for interest payments on spec homes I have sitting to Michigan Banks, does that count?

Old 09-10-2007, 02:08 PM

133 posts, read 356,674 times
Default look around

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgerdoger View Post
USA today has not got a handle on the michigan economy, so please dont use the tooth fariy to see how things are going in michigan, this is the same rag that said the us econmoy is doing well a month ago.
We are not doing well, and you can see it in the people who live there.
No the Michigan economy is not doing well,don't include we my friend.All the other states are going through a boom of one sort or another.I said it before and i'll say it again...let the politions know that incompetence will not be tolerated any more,and at the next election,run them all out of town,get the people back in control,that is the only way Michigan will be corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan