U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2012, 06:52 AM

97 posts, read 195,316 times
Default Omg wth! I hate propane!

I am so ready for winter to be over. In one month I have spent $800 on propane. And this has been an easy winter

We are house hunting. Hopefully we find something that is not so terribly expensive to heat. The 900 sqft trailer we rent obviously leaks like a sieve
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 09:05 AM

5,731 posts, read 4,280,616 times
Gulp!

(Natural gas customer.)

Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM

2,701 posts, read 2,790,573 times
Quote:
I am so ready for winter to be over. In one month I have spent $800 on propane. And this has been an easy winter

We are house hunting. Hopefully we find something that is not so terribly expensive to heat. The 900 sqft trailer we rent obviously leaks like a sieve
I hear ya. I live in an older farmhouse, up on a hill, and the wind is constant in the winter. This was my first year in the house, and I'm thankful that we had an easy winter. Luckily (I think) the house doesn't have heat upstairs, so I was able to close it off for the winter and only heat the main floor. This seemed to be a big help, because I didn't start doing it until January, and the furnace seemed to run a lot less often. Also, it is not a very big house and seems to be well insulated, which I am thankful for.

My tank was at 65% at the beginning of winter. I filled it up in January for $600, and it is just now getting down to 40%. According to my math, I've used 425 gallons of propane this winter. At $1.99 per gallon, I've used $845 worth of propane this winter. I could barely afford that, so I feel terrible for people who have to heat bigger houses, drafty houses, etc.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
Oh wow, I didn't know propane was so much more $ this winter. I've had it in the past, but that was quite a while ago. Good luck finding a place!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM

809 posts, read 1,032,042 times
Pellet stove.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:31 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,032,472 times
Almost everyone I know that would have to rely on propane for heat has installed an outdoor woodburner. I feel for you, that's pretty expensive.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:27 AM

97 posts, read 195,316 times
We are looking at homes with natural gas. From what I understand those are not as expensive.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:18 AM

275 posts, read 226,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Almost everyone I know that would have to rely on propane for heat has installed an outdoor woodburner. I feel for you, that's pretty expensive.
That really is painful.

We also opted for a wood boiler. Compared to heating with propane, the wood boiler will pay for itself in 3-5 years...depending on how much dead wood I'm able to take from our land vs. paying to have it trucked in.

After talking with quite a few folks we knew that staying with the existing LP boiler wasn't the way to go. We explored all available options, even looking hard at geo-thermal as a way to keep costs down, but it just wasn't feasible. The purchase and installation cost was double that of the wood boiler, ROI would have been 15 years, and the life expectancy is estimated at 15-17 years. Just when I'd reach a return on my investment I'd be paying for a new unit. I probably wouldn't be sinking lines again, so the cost for the replacement wouldn't be as high. Still, I'm 46 now so I'd be a ripe old age before I ever saw a return on my original investment. It sure made the 3-5 years with the wood boiler look MIGHTY darn attractive.

We had our wood boiler installed this past fall, so this was our first winter with it. We heated the house and our hot water entirely from dead trees on our property. This next season I'll have to buy wood, but I'll still be far ahead of where I'd have been had I stayed with propane. We did keep the LP boiler, tying it into the wood boiler system with a heat exchanger. This gives us a viable back up should something happen to the wood boiler.

I know that the investment up front can be intimidating, and depending on where you live this might not be a viable option. If it is and option where you live, and you are able to swing the up front cost, in the long run you'll come out much further ahead.

Sorry for the long rant. Having just gone through it, it's all still very fresh in my mind.

If you're interested, here's a link to our blog that shows our setup. How It Works: Wood Boiler Edition

Last edited by Dave Wojo; 03-13-2012 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 AM

5,523 posts, read 4,080,450 times
Oh I know first-hand your pain... the last few years, my propane bills for my home were astronomical. I actually got teary once when a bill arrived...

FYI: I sold my home, moved further south... the new owners were very thorough in checking everything out...but never asked for heating bills to review... so I didn't share them!

Old 03-13-2012, 09:35 AM

897 posts, read 776,092 times
I certainly can relate to the propane issue. I moved into a mobile home that heats with propane which I had no experience with before. I thought it was going to be less expensive that my old place which was all electric. My worse winter month with all electric was 350.00 for the month. As you said it has been a very mild winter and thats true here in Delaware my highest propane bill was about 275.00 for a chilly but not a real winter month. I almost fainted when I saw the bill. I have to think about what I'm going to do next winter when I might not be so lucky with the temperature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan