Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:49 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,884,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4fun View Post
Now it sounds like you are all set up and close to town. Without all the city hassles. I was looking to build a small 800 sq ft-1500 sq ft cabin, pole barn for retirement on 20 or so acres. It may be cheaper to just buy a place that is already up there. I would like to be off the main Hwy's. Did you drill a well?

Thanks for the info.
I was just thinking, this is one, maybe tho only in the Midwest where you can see an eagle, a wolf,and sometimes a moose within the city limits. It's a so close, and yet so far that people have got lost in the wools for several days and still be only 20 min. From city center.
Also, we are a caring bunch of misfits sometimes. You can be at Starbucks having a latte, discussing politics ( never religion) with a person you never knew, but would like to. We really have no age barrier,everyone is equal. Sat. am we look forward to getting fresh produce at the Commons,where hippie farmers display there wares and Sat. Night enjoy an outdoor consort . College kids rub shoulders with iron workers, dogs are held in high esteem , there is no dress code.. yes, Marquette shares a frontier like feel with places in far north Canada ('the weather also). Our main heritage is Finnish,we even have a Finnish radio station an several TV programs. We have a good live theater on the warf,informative lectures at Northern, the same day a serious hockey game in winter, and local baseball in summer. We are a place where many people ride bikes on very friendly paths, along with summer races when they block off all the city streets downtown, and in winter enjoy the starting point of the UP 200 sled dog race.
Yes Marquette is a Northern tier place, always active year round. German tractors plowing sidewalks and bike paths in winter. Paths more of than any city in America for biking, walking, olmipic trainers Practice their stamina on the same trails and roadways while children play is a park that's dog friendly at the same time.... It is, all a part of a place like no other, of Pure Michigan, yet also the Capital city of a land that's one third Michigan land mas, but with 2percent of the people, a land surrounded by lakes as large as oceans, that has tried four times for Statehood, and will again I am sure, it's a place alone on the map for hundreds of miles, yet always used by the WeatherChannel. And the new. Coast Guard station. An Ocean port that welcomes the largest
freighters daily on the Great Lakes. ... Marquette is that place by the shiny sea...of more fresh water than any place in the world. Marquette is a city with almost no crime, it's a place we are proud of, to live in, to work in and to play in. What more could one ask for than the privilege to call it home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM

34 posts, read 56,636 times
I have been waiting for the topic of the UP to swing towards "something" Marquette. It always does. It's a fantastic place to live and play. Personally, I live and work in Marquette I have been fortunate to have lived in many places in my life from the left-coast (California) to the southern states and can say with conviction that if you are going to live in the upper midwest Marquette would be hard to beat.

No, I am not from here. I am from downstate. This is just my perspective. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:38 AM

There is room for all in Marquette County, being a progressive here is not a nasty word. I do find comfort in knowing that this is the land of Liberal thinking.Most people do think positive, one of the reasons for the friendly nature always with a smile, that's a very good thing in a crazyWorld of hate,greed,corruption and wars. You will always find compassion and a helping hand in Marquette, regardless of ones potical and or religious persuasions. It's refreshing !

Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,549,020 times
How does Escanaba compare to Marquette?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM

351 posts, read 794,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
They have a nice lake park that I been to, I never lived there but I been there and passed through many times. Here are some quick thoughts...Marquette is hilly and Escanaba is flat. Esky is about half the size and does not have a university that adds to the culture. ( they do have a community college- Bay college) Esky does not have a bypass highway so all there traffic goes through Lincoln street and gets quite busy with passing through truck traffic and local traffic alike. They get less snow in the winter then Marquette but you will find there summers sometimes are a bit cooler as south and south west winds come off Lake Michigan giving a cool lake breeze. Housing and land cost less in Esky than in MQT. Marquette is different than most up town/cites in that the hospital, med-center and the university (NMU approx 10,000 students) keep an active influx of more newer and transient residents. I always felt Houghton is the most comparable town to Marquette. It is a very small town (7,000) but it has MI Tech (approx 7,000 students) and is very hilly. In a nut shell Marquette is the Ann Arbor of the U.P. but on a Great Lake. Escanaba would be more like a Muskegon. Both are nice but different types of towns..,

Last edited by joemits; 04-22-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I have always called Escanaba the " Gateway City", Its the beginning of the real upper Michigan.Seems like a nice small city on the shores of Lake Michigan, and Green Bay to the south. Before Marquette became so popular and has grown, Escanaba was as far north as some chain stores, services, warehousing, and commercial Transport would go. Its not so anymore. Marquette is a little more than an hour north.Not to say anything bad about our neighbor to the south, but they get less snow and colder temps. Depending on the jet stream summers can be very hot ( July and August, however they are at the top of Lake Michigan, so sometimes its cooler there in summer months.
The lack of anything big as far as industry goes keeps the growth somewhat stable.Wood processing is their largest industry.....Its not Marquette !!

Old 05-04-2012, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 22,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I was just thinking, this is one, maybe tho only in the Midwest where you can see an eagle, a wolf,and sometimes a moose within the city limits. It's a so close, and yet so far that people have got lost in the wools for several days and still be only 20 min. From city center.
Also, we are a caring bunch of misfits sometimes. You can be at Starbucks having a latte, discussing politics ( never religion) with a person you never knew, but would like to. We really have no age barrier,everyone is equal. Sat. am we look forward to getting fresh produce at the Commons,where hippie farmers display there wares and Sat. Night enjoy an outdoor consort . College kids rub shoulders with iron workers, dogs are held in high esteem , there is no dress code.. yes, Marquette shares a frontier like feel with places in far north Canada ('the weather also). Our main heritage is Finnish,we even have a Finnish radio station an several TV programs. We have a good live theater on the warf,informative lectures at Northern, the same day a serious hockey game in winter, and local baseball in summer. We are a place where many people ride bikes on very friendly paths, along with summer races when they block off all the city streets downtown, and in winter enjoy the starting point of the UP 200 sled dog race.
Yes Marquette is a Northern tier place, always active year round. German tractors plowing sidewalks and bike paths in winter. Paths more of than any city in America for biking, walking, olmipic trainers Practice their stamina on the same trails and roadways while children play is a park that's dog friendly at the same time.... It is, all a part of a place like no other, of Pure Michigan, yet also the Capital city of a land that's one third Michigan land mas, but with 2percent of the people, a land surrounded by lakes as large as oceans, that has tried four times for Statehood, and will again I am sure, it's a place alone on the map for hundreds of miles, yet always used by the WeatherChannel. And the new. Coast Guard station. An Ocean port that welcomes the largest
freighters daily on the Great Lakes. ... Marquette is that place by the shiny sea...of more fresh water than any place in the world. Marquette is a city with almost no crime, it's a place we are proud of, to live in, to work in and to play in. What more could one ask for than the privilege to call it home!
Thanks for the info. You are a wealth on knowledge about the UP. Here is another Rep. Trying to get or here a bit more so I can keep up.

Thank you all.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing4fun View Post
Thanks for the info. You are a wealth on knowledge about the UP. Here is another Rep. Trying to get or here a bit more so I can keep up.

Thank you all.
And thank you for joining us when ever you can.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:40 AM

485 posts, read 962,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There is room for all in Marquette County, being a progressive here is not a nasty word. I do find comfort in knowing that this is the land of Liberal thinking.Most people do think positive, one of the reasons for the friendly nature always with a smile, that's a very good thing in a crazyWorld of hate,greed,corruption and wars. You will always find compassion and a helping hand in Marquette, regardless of ones potical and or religious persuasions. It's refreshing !
Don't assume it's a COMPLETE panacea of freedom from "hate, greed, corruption and wars" since, in recent elections, anywhere from 41-49% of voters in the area pulled the lever for the Republican candidate .

Old 05-08-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
Don't assume it's a COMPLETE panacea of freedom from "hate, greed, corruption and wars" since, in recent elections, anywhere from 41-49% of voters in the area pulled the lever for the Republican candidate .
60 per cent in Marquette voted for Obama. one of the highest percentages in the nation !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan