U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:53 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,651,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd also never heard 'townie' was derogative. We usually differentiated it in the small towns, as kids were either farmers or townies. Nothing derogative about that.

In Ann Arbor townies are people who live in Ann Arbor but do not attend or teach at U-M. It is not derogatory. Many of them are Dr.s, lawyers, architects, Moms, teachers, mechanics, artists, poets, drummers, all kinds of respectiable things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 04:10 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,651,058 times
The thing on top of your house is a ruff.

Lawyer is also supposedly pronounced funny, but when I ask well how do you pronounce it? It sounds exactly the way I think I say it. Whuttheheck?

Add an S on to the name of any business. K-Marts, Fords, Wallmarts.

The Canadians have infected us with the aboots and I am going oot.

I have never heard of Fips or fops. Most of my relatives are from Illinios and I have always thought they were great people. And people from Ohio are buckeyes or just plain nuts.

I rarely hear parents called anything but Mom and dad. Virtually never Mother, father, mum, maaa paaa, alghtouh I do know a few kids to refer to dad as "that a** hole".

Lots of our street names and city names can only be pronounced correctly by Michiganders. But then that is true most places. Give a Michigander San Joaquin and see what comes out (corrct pronunciation is San Whaah keen)

Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM

13 posts, read 20,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The thing on top of your house is a ruff.

Lawyer is also supposedly pronounced funny, but when I ask well how do you pronounce it? It sounds exactly the way I think I say it. Whuttheheck?

The Canadians have infected us with the aboots and I am going oot.

I have never heard of Fips or fops. Most of my relatives are from Illinios and I have always thought they were great people. And people from Ohio are buckeyes or just plain nuts.

I rarely hear parents called anything but Mom and dad. Virtually never Mother, father, mum, maaa paaa, alghtouh I do know a few kids to refer to dad as "that a** hole".

Lots of our street names and city names can only be pronounced correctly by Michiganders. But then that is true most places. Give a Michigander San Joaquin and see what comes out (corrct pronunciation is San Whaah keen)
I do the on some like JC Penney's, Meijers, etc... but not Walmarts or Kmarts. Lawyer = loyer... lol.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM

3,041 posts, read 3,051,199 times
The only part of Michigan ive heard people add an S to the name of a business is down in the Detroit area. I have heard people call Ford, "fords" or K-mart "K-marts" but only when visiting southeast Michigan. Another one ive heard down there is calling a sliding glass door a "Doorwall" That is a funny word eh? I think southeast Mi has its own lingo compared even to the rest of Michigan. I was down there in Livonia Mi once for a job fair and someone told me I had an outstate, or a northern accent. I have lived in the UP, western Mi and now in central Michigan so to them I am definately an "outstate" person. I had no idea we talked different from the Detroit area people until that time. It makes sense though if you think about it, most of Michigan is of German, Dutch or Norwegian ancestry accounting for the Michigan accent we have (similar to Wi and MN). Detroit on the other hand is much more diverse with a large population from the south thrown in to the mix. It makes sense they would be different, as the ethnic demographics of SE Mi is so different from the rest of the state.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:56 AM

2,743 posts, read 3,549,896 times
An "S" gets added in the Lansing area.

It is not Best Buy, but rather, Bessbye.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,319,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara0815 View Post
Maybe a repost but I liked it so I thought Id share

The Michigan Accent & Michiganders' Slang Words
I'm from Pittsburgh, PA where we drink pop and share a couple other stereotypes (like deer as decorations in yards and homes; hitting deer; bars and churches galore). Even some of the verbal habits are similar. It's your Ahs and Os that get to me - I love the Michigan accent and find it sexy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchildbosnia View Post
Haha! I love it! So true (at least on this side of the state!) There is another one on that same site about Michigan Stereotypes:

You Know You're From Michigan When
OMG the map at the top of your link is pee-worthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I might have to disagree with this statement. In my area, "townie" was not a positive term. I mean, it was usually said in a joking way, but it wasn't a compliment. The people who lived out in the country always thought they were living the good life, and they thought the kids who lived "in town" were a little... weird.
Yep and the article emphasized that it's derogatory as used by out of state-ers. That's also a term that's used elsewhere with similar connotations. Sort of like how NYers use the term bridge and tunnel to refer to certain commuters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My mom was just complaining about that on a more global - yet more specific - level. She was noticing how so many people talk about Tiffanys instead of calling it Tiffany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

Yep we get that too Do you guys (yous guys is usually, but not always, yins in Pgh) supposively have libaries also? (Supposedly...libraries) A lot of those probably do have to do with the faster speech patterns as mentioned in the article.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 PM

26 posts, read 29,867 times
I'm originally from CT. & I think I'll get along just fine in Michigan. My accent is pretty close, I definitely say loyer not lawyer.

I'm down in East TN. right now & I absolutely hate the Southern accent. Down here they say warsh (wash) & thee-ate-her (theater). I give them crap every time they mention the movie theater. "I went to the thee-ate-her". Who ate her??? Did she like it?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:08 PM

13 posts, read 20,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

It's Bessbye here in Southern MI. I don't know anyone that says the "t."

Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM

5 posts, read 3,713 times
Not sure where they got the young lady who pronounced the words for the Michigan accent, but I've lived in Michigan all of my life and pronounce most of the words she said much differently. Maybe it's an age difference. Maybe it's because I live in the far North of Michigan and once you get to the Mackinac Bridge and beyond, it's just different. I've never heard of FIPs or FOPs. (I think we're mostly a friendly bunch)! The "local" folks really don't use the term "Fudgie" all that much, but it IS a word, just like "Yooper" (which is used more often)! Troll is used affectionately for the "just under the Bridge dwellers"! I've never said "where are you at"?, only because it is grammatically incorrect! I don't think it's "yuh guys", although I hear and say "you guys", all the time. I truly thought the word "asphalt" was pronounced "ashphalt"!!! There is a lot of Canadian influence in our accent and lots of folks from out of state frequently ask me if I am Canadian. I'm told by "downstate" Michiganders that we have an accent when they come "Up North"! How funny is that?! People in our own state think we have "accents"! And yes... we DO use our hands as Maps! Gotta Love Michigan!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
177 posts, read 158,218 times
This was too funny. I have lived in Michigan for almost 3 years now and I definitely notice most of the stereotypes. I tease my MIL for a TON of them. My daughter (now 12) has picked up quite a few of the nuances of the Michigander. Like calling me Maah-um, and saying pop. My middle son (10) is a little slower to lose the Texan! I, on the other hand, am IMMEDIATELY called out for my Texan accent (not surprising really considering even my friends and family in Texas make fun of my "hick accent"). It will be interesting to see how my youngest son (10 months) fares! There is little hope for him being raised by a mother with a thick southern twang! (his daddy's isn't much better BTW!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan