Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:46 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboppin' View Post
I'm told by "downstate" Michiganders that we have an accent when they come "Up North"! How funny is that?! People in our own state think we have "accents"!

HAHA-- bet you'd think I had quite an accent too & I live in the Lower Peninsula. Different accents are interesting to listen to. You'd get a chuckle out of mine and I would get a chuckle out of yours.

And yes... we DO use our hands as Maps! Gotta Love Michigan!
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLIZARD View Post
This was too funny. I have lived in Michigan for almost 3 years now and I definitely notice most of the stereotypes. I tease my MIL for a TON of them. My daughter (now 12) has picked up quite a few of the nuances of the Michigander. Like calling me Maah-um, and saying pop. My middle son (10) is a little slower to lose the Texan! I, on the other hand, am IMMEDIATELY called out for my Texan accent (not surprising really considering even my friends and family in Texas make fun of my "hick accent"). It will be interesting to see how my youngest son (10 months) fares! There is little hope for him being raised by a mother with a thick southern twang! (his daddy's isn't much better BTW!)
That sounds about right, yep. My son lives in California, he tells me they say MOM like this >> MuM, almost fast enough that the o is left out of the word. Also like they are pronouncing the letter M sound twice MM, having nothing in between the 2 M's. Not making fun of course, I find this interesting too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
"Oh no you di'int!"

"idanno maybe i did"

Old 11-08-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
"Oh no you di'int!"

"idanno maybe i did"
There you go, now I could stand to read a book like this, if you keep this kind of chatter up like you just did, you betcha. I enjoy reading slang or stories with a hillbilly twang, or be it yooper. Now I'm ready for a trip to the Upper Peninsula.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,054 times
I didn't see this yet so...

I was at a New Jersey motel some years ago and went out for supplies (to get some pop, etc.) and I asked a guy at the gas station, where the nearest "party store" was. He looked at me and thought, and looked, and asked if I wanted stuff to throw a party (like I was out of my mind). I said no, where I can get some pop and chips. He just looked back at me. I said, y'know like a 7-Eleven. That clicked for him and he pointed down the road.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:30 PM

19 posts, read 35,017 times
I've always loved the way we say 'tenna shoes' instead of tennis shoes.

It's funny reading these because sometimes you don't realize you're saying things like 'BessBuy' until somebody points it out

Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddatch54 View Post
I didn't see this yet so...

I was at a New Jersey motel some years ago and went out for supplies (to get some pop, etc.) and I asked a guy at the gas station, where the nearest "party store" was. He looked at me and thought, and looked, and asked if I wanted stuff to throw a party (like I was out of my mind). I said no, where I can get some pop and chips. He just looked back at me. I said, y'know like a 7-Eleven. That clicked for him and he pointed down the road.
Just ask for the nearest Wawas next time.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 3,757 times
I can't stand the accents of people in this state. I was lucky enough to avoid the thick, nasally accent somehow.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM

Awe, UTFreak- the accent isn't so bad, get away from K-zoo once in awhile, traverse around a bit, not everyone has a strong nasal accent, I for one don't. FWIW- Michigan accent is what it is, it kind of grows on you. I suspect no matter what state you live in there is going to be an obvious difference in accent amongst its citizens. You just kind of go with the flow, don't sweat the small stuff worry about the big things in life.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 64,880 times
Siri really has trouble with me, too. My friends laugh at how Siri butchers my requests. She'll also cut me off and process my request before I'm done and my pauses aren't THAT long! Haha! Maybe I should work on how I pronounce things.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
What a fun article! And don't forget, boys and girls, that wet stuff you drink from the tap is "wadder."
This is a funny topic, interesting. Once I was traveling up there in Wisconsin, the people did not know what I was saying, and I gad trouble understanding them. A man said I sounded like a female Jimmy Carter. That may have been accurate; I was not sure what they sounded like? They say aaahh and ooo, as in waash and root for route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan