Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:00 AM

97 posts, read 431,254 times

Advertisements

It is official. He is blantanlty breaking the law and nobody but Rachel Maddow seems to be taking notice. I highly recommend watching the video.

Michigan Republicans have ILLEGALLY passed over 96% (546) of their bills under “immediate effect” | Eclectablog

If you do not like that source:

Michigan Republicans Illegally Passed Over 96% of Bills Under 'Immediate Effect' | Video Cafe

Better hurry because Republicans are now trying to make it harder repeal any law and using the emergency manager law to do this.

Quote:
Last night, Rachel Maddow broke a huge story that has been happening since Republicans took over in Michigan in 2011 and has gone completely under the radar. Since January 2011, 566 bills have been signed into law. Of those, 546 of them, 96.5% were passed under “immediate effect”. Here’s the video from last night’s show that will blow your mind. Pay particular attention to around 12:30 where they show it in action. It’s astonishing. [...]
As Rachel Maddow points out, if Public Act 4 had not been passed in this way, it would only have gone into effect in the past few weeks, 90 days after the last legislative session. Think about that for minute. Think about how much has been done to, using Maddow’s phrase, “rout democracy” in our state under that law in the year that it has been on the books. Think about how it could have been different if they hadn’t used immediate effect.
Maddow then went on to show just how illegal this is. It’s something that I pointed out in my piece yesterday titled “Michigan GOP appeals ruling preventing them from violating the state constitution”. It’s the fact that immediate effect can only happen if 2/3 of the members of the House vote for it. But Republicans do not HAVE 2/3 of the House. The entire reason that they have been avoiding using roll call votes is because they did not have the votes to make the laws immediate effect. In other words, over 96% of the laws passed by the Republicans since January 2011 have been illegal in their implementation. Read on...Michigan Republicans have ILLEGALLY passed over 96% (546) of their bills under “immediate effect”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:17 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,253,019 times
We have elections every four years. No need to get the panties worked up in the meantime. The sky is not falling. Things are actually really picking up in Michigan in the past year... This thread is full of them...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...igan-move.html

Old 04-09-2012, 08:27 AM

97 posts, read 431,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
We have elections every four years. No need to get the panties worked up in the meantime. The sky is not falling. Things are actually really picking up in Michigan in the past year... This thread is full of them...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...igan-move.html
What does that have to do with Rick Snyder breaking the law? Oh never mind. You are right. Just sit back and relax. Let them ********* dry and pretend is is a message.

What I fail to understand is why the Governor saw fit to take peoples health insurance away in the first place? Dose it improve something other than his relationship with the insurance companies? Or how stripping the unemployment benefits of seasonal contract workers helps them in any way? All that will do it put them on assistance. And why were both of these things such an emergency that he saw fit to enact them all just a few weeks and days before Christmas. Not allowing for those people to plan ahead and pay for the health benefits before they went without an income?

Last edited by sweetvelocity; 04-09-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post
It is official. He is blantanlty breaking the law and nobody but Rachel Maddow seems to be taking notice. I highly recommend watching the video.

Michigan Republicans have ILLEGALLY passed over 96% (546) of their bills under “immediate effect” | Eclectablog

Michigan Republicans Illegally Passed Over 96% of Bills Under 'Immediate Effect' | Video Cafe

Better hurry because Republicans are now trying to make it harder repeal any law and using the emergency manager law to do this.
Of course, since it's Snyder and the Republicans, it's ok...

Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,544,513 times
What's so "hardcore" conservative about Rick Snyder? Didn't he get called too moderate a little while ago?

Though it does seem ironic that Republicans are the ones that usually expand government more so than Democrats. But then Democrats will get too timid to do anything to reduce the size of government. I'll just smh at both of them.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,969,323 times
MSNBC huh? The same network that gives Al Sharpton his platform for blatant civil unrest and the affiliate of NBC who doctored Zimmerman's 911 call.

Enough said.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,563,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvelocity View Post

OK... I watched a good portion of the video (it is quite long), and I will admit that it sounded very legit at first. And I consider myself a conservative, so it was hard to accept that what I was hearing was true. But I also had a funny feeling about what I was watching... her show reminded me of Glenn Beck's, only a liberal version. Glenn Beck was also always very big on "breaking stories" about some horrible injustice that was being put on by the "other side" that no one was talking about.

BUT, thankfully, I found an article that treats the situation much more fairly (from a better source that is much closer to the situation, the Detroit News): http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120407/POLITICS02/204070340/1022/rss10 (broken link)

Apparently, this is something that Democrats also did when THEY were in power. Which doesn't make it OK, but it makes this much, much less of a story. This is not about the evil Republicans abusing power. It is about the two parties bickering with each other, which I do not really give a crap about.

Honestly... this makes me angry at Maddow more than anything, and kills the credibility of MSNBC even further. To talk about this story and NOT MENTION that Democrats have always done the exact same thing is horribly misleading and dishonest. She is trying to create the narrative that Republicans are coming in and trampling all over everything, and she molded this story to fit her narrative. Pretty sleazy in my opinion. And she almost got me too!

Last edited by michigan83; 04-09-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
----
Apparently, this is something that Democrats also did when THEY were in power. Which doesn't make it OK, but it makes this much, much less of a story. This is not about the evil Republicans abusing power. It is about the two parties bickering with each other, which I do not really give a crap about.
Honestly... this makes me angry at Maddow more than anything, and kills the credibility of MSNBC even further. To talk about this story and NOT MENTION that Democrats have always done the exact same thing is horribly misleading and dishonest. She is trying to create the narrative that Republicans are coming in and trampling all over everything, and she molded this story to fit her narrative. Pretty sleazy in my opinion. And she almost got me too!
Gawd, here we go again - "sleazy" MSNBC, "fair and balanced" Fox.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:24 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,862,068 times
Good grief....sorry, but I think Gov. Snyder is absolutely doing what he truly believes is the right thing for Michigan. Of course no one is gonna agree 100% with everything, but in case you havent noticed...Michigan is being mentioned quite regularly in the "good news" column.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

20,889 posts, read 19,345,190 times
I would support all laws taking "immediate effect" (unless the legislatures determines otherwise). I see no reason for a "waiting period". When I vote for someone, I expect them to get the job done immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan