Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
MGD

122 posts, read 289,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
That is a question I asked my husband a year ago in March. We had just been notified that our house (that I had lived in for almost 20 years) had been sold at a sheriff's auction and we had 6 months to move. God smiled down on us because it was within the week that a client of my husband's finally paid him what he had been owing him for almost 2 years. So...we took THAT money, put it together with my salary for the next 4 months and paid CASH for a double wide mobile home.

Not everyone is as fortunate as my husband and I were. So, I'm just asking: where are the people going and what are they doing that have lost their homes to foreclosure?

It is a sad state to lose one's home, certainly the most stressful event in my life.

But now, I've been offered a much better job in South Carolina and we are faced with selling the home that we OWN. Not sure how I feel about that -- the money sounds really good in SC, but then I'd go to renting for a period of time again, until I can pay cash -- because my credit went in the dumper with the house.

I'm "toying" with the idea that when we put the mobile home (DW, 3 BR, 2 Bath) up for sale, that I would appeal, and give preference, to others in the same predicament we were in last year, who for whatever reason do not or cannot leave the state of Michigan.
I don't understand the problem...it's a mobile home...lol...key word IS "mobile"...

pack it up on the back of an 18wheeler and take it WITH you.

I take payment for gems of wisdom in cash, cheque, or cashier's cheque, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 AM

3,259 posts, read 9,162,967 times
Quote:
I don't understand the problem...it's a mobile home...lol...key word IS "mobile"...

pack it up on the back of an 18wheeler and take it WITH you.
The idea that it is mobile isn't really accurate.

It may have come with wheels but to move one just down the road in the same town can run on the order of $20,000 (I know cause we asked about moving ours to a piece of land and that was over and above the cost of the land, the cost of getting the land ready for the house, etc). And all we wanted to do was move it less than 20 miles.

I have no clue how much moving one INTERstate would run 5 years later. Liz

Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM
MGD

122 posts, read 289,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
The idea that it is mobile isn't really accurate.

It may have come with wheels but to move one just down the road in the same town can run on the order of $20,000 (I know cause we asked about moving ours to a piece of land and that was over and above the cost of the land, the cost of getting the land ready for the house, etc). And all we wanted to do was move it less than 20 miles.

I have no clue how much moving one INTERstate would run 5 years later. Liz
Then how did all those people who had to flee up the A1A in Florida ahead of Andrew or whichever hurricane afford it?

Wouldn't land be already prepared to sit a mobile home if you move it to a trailer park where there are already a bunch of them?

$20,000 is a lot...wow...

Best to try rent it out, not sell it...and best to not be tied to a new mortgage in this economy...people are getting laid off 2 weeks and less after starting a new job...don't sleep on the ability of the economy to come and bite you anywhere you run.

I certainly don't trust it.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:13 PM

3,259 posts, read 9,162,967 times
Quote:
Then how did all those people who had to flee up the A1A in Florida ahead of Andrew or whichever hurricane afford it?
Because they had RV's not mobile homes...big difference.

Liz

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM

94 posts, read 201,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinkit View Post
That is a question I asked my husband a year ago in March. We had just been notified that our house (that I had lived in for almost 20 years) had been sold at a sheriff's auction and we had 6 months to move. God smiled down on us because it was within the week that a client of my husband's finally paid him what he had been owing him for almost 2 years. So...we took THAT money, put it together with my salary for the next 4 months and paid CASH for a double wide mobile home.

Not everyone is as fortunate as my husband and I were. So, I'm just asking: where are the people going and what are they doing that have lost their homes to foreclosure?

It is a sad state to lose one's home, certainly the most stressful event in my life.

But now, I've been offered a much better job in South Carolina and we are faced with selling the home that we OWN. Not sure how I feel about that -- the money sounds really good in SC, but then I'd go to renting for a period of time again, until I can pay cash -- because my credit went in the dumper with the house.

I'm "toying" with the idea that when we put the mobile home (DW, 3 BR, 2 Bath) up for sale, that I would appeal, and give preference, to others in the same predicament we were in last year, who for whatever reason do not or cannot leave the state of Michigan.

Hello,

Did you put this new mobile home up on your own privately owned LAND or on a rented lot in the same town or area? EDITED here - I saw where it is a rented lot. What is the cost of the LOT rental per month and what does it INCLUDE? Taxes for your MH - personal property taxes per year - do you have them as you do in car taxes or tags?

Can you MOVE the home easily and what would the cost of that be? I would get several estimates on that. I would rent it out if it is too expensive or not worth it to move it due to the final cost. Unless... you can sell it fast.

Best wishes with your decision.

Catherine
PS: I do not live in MI.

Last edited by CatherineFrances; 03-05-2009 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: EDITED - saw more information. Typos.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,712,878 times
A lot of people I'm hearing about are piling into relatives' houses, 3 and 4 families to a house. Others are moving into the vacation cottages of their friends or sliding a trailer into someone's backyard. Quite a few are living in their cars. The shelters are packed, needless to say. Some people are staying in the basements of their churches and stuff.

I also read a dreadful story -- I think I posted it here even -- about an abandoned warehouse downtown full of homeless guys trying to ignore the dead body that had been at the bottom of the elevator shaft for MONTHS. The idea of living in an unheated, unplumbed building in these temperatures is horrible enough, but this?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,122,579 times
Default What else can we do?

Leaving the house AND the state...

Old 03-07-2009, 03:48 AM

362 posts, read 1,499,173 times
Default Update from Trinkit

MGD: I thought the same thing -- that being that it was a "mobile" home that it would be possible to move it. WRONG! First of all, it is almost 900 miles from Novi to Aiken. Secondly, it was a DOUBLE wide, so that would entail TWO trucks and crews to move it, at the cost of approximately $20,000 a PIECE! That would be a total of $40,000 and I can purchase something else for that! Thirdly, was the age of the mobile home. It was a 1973, and South Carolina would not allow any home older than 1985 to travel its roads (permits are needed).

Well, it's been almost a year and a half since we made the decision and I moved. Hubby stayed behind in Michigan until August of last year. We originally had the home listed with the sales agent of the park (rent was $500/month) and it had been listed for over 9 months, with no real takers. We kept lowering the price, from $11,900 to $9,900 and even lower. We owned the home, with no mortgage, so being "upside down" was not an issue. Finally, when the 2nd listing agreement expired, our neighbor found a buyer -- for $3,000 -- in November. Yes, it was a lot less than we had originally listed it for, but the up side to that was that we no longer had to pay the $500 rent plus keeping the utilities on.

Moving to South Carolina was the best decision we ever made. The weather is wonderful -- although I'm not too keen on the HOT summers. It is sad to see what is happening in our home state.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,801,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
A lot of people I'm hearing about are piling into relatives' houses, 3 and 4 families to a house. Others are moving into the vacation cottages of their friends or sliding a trailer into someone's backyard. Quite a few are living in their cars. The shelters are packed, needless to say. Some people are staying in the basements of their churches and stuff.

I also read a dreadful story -- I think I posted it here even -- about an abandoned warehouse downtown full of homeless guys trying to ignore the dead body that had been at the bottom of the elevator shaft for MONTHS. The idea of living in an unheated, unplumbed building in these temperatures is horrible enough, but this?
My wife was watching the late edition of Oprah the other day, and they were featuring all of these "tent cities" (Hoovervilles) all over the country, many within sight of gleaming downtowns like Tampa, Sacramento, etc..

Ah, here's a link:

Lisa Ling Goes Inside a Tent City - Oprah.com

Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,046,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
My wife was watching the late edition of Oprah the other day, and they were featuring all of these "tent cities" (Hoovervilles) all over the country, many within sight of gleaming downtowns like Tampa, Sacramento, etc..
This just reinforces the argument that our nation is transforming into a third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan