Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:32 PM

362 posts, read 1,496,658 times

Advertisements

That is a question I asked my husband a year ago in March. We had just been notified that our house (that I had lived in for almost 20 years) had been sold at a sheriff's auction and we had 6 months to move. God smiled down on us because it was within the week that a client of my husband's finally paid him what he had been owing him for almost 2 years. So...we took THAT money, put it together with my salary for the next 4 months and paid CASH for a double wide mobile home.

Not everyone is as fortunate as my husband and I were. So, I'm just asking: where are the people going and what are they doing that have lost their homes to foreclosure?

It is a sad state to lose one's home, certainly the most stressful event in my life.

But now, I've been offered a much better job in South Carolina and we are faced with selling the home that we OWN. Not sure how I feel about that -- the money sounds really good in SC, but then I'd go to renting for a period of time again, until I can pay cash -- because my credit went in the dumper with the house.

I'm "toying" with the idea that when we put the mobile home (DW, 3 BR, 2 Bath) up for sale, that I would appeal, and give preference, to others in the same predicament we were in last year, who for whatever reason do not or cannot leave the state of Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 05:18 PM

86 posts, read 257,773 times
Your very lucky to have a paid for place,id say many people are renting,the news dosent talk about the forclosure problem is due to how much housing is versus wages.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:01 PM

79 posts, read 368,897 times
Hey sorry I don't have any advice to offer you regarding selling your home, but I will say that I think you're making an excellent choice by moving down to SC. Don't know what type of work you're in, but I've heard that a lot of teachers are getting decent job offers from places just like Michigan. Just stay away from the coast... too many hurricanes to worry about. Inland might be better. North Carolina is awesome too!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,480,890 times
Default What part of Michigan is home in?

What part of Michigan is home in? I ask this because most of michigan is a tough market right now. So if you hoping to sell quickly I might not happen.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:16 PM

ron17571: I think it is a shame that there has not been any stories on the people who have actually lost their homes and where they are now. The media seems to just want to focus on the numbers, which are atrocious all the same.

virgokid1: I am a Design Engineer and will be moving to Aiken -- about 200 miles inland. I've already checked the possibility of hurricanes that far inland and was told that it is "nil". I'm looking forward to a new start -- but kind of scared at the same time. Hubby and I were looking into my route to take down there. Mapquest has a route going thru the Smokeys and I don't relish the idea of driving the mountains, so we came up with a plan: drive to Knoxville and spend the night (8 hours drive) then drive to Atlanta and then go east to Aiken (right across the river from Augusta).

baystater: My mobile home is in Novi -- a very nice area. We love being close to Walled Lake. I really like the area -- lots better than where we were living (Taylor).

Old 09-15-2007, 09:26 PM

3,250 posts, read 9,149,696 times
Our home has been on the market for a year now, trinkit, in SE MI. Since we HAD a job in NC we had to go ahead and move. We are carrying two mortgages. But we bought ours here in NC with the mortgage in MI in the budget. We've had almost NO offers and the three we have had did not qualify.

Price is already as low as it can go, it's actually in a neg equity situation. We just have to pray and hope our realtor will eventually find someone to sell it to for us. Liz

Old 09-16-2007, 07:08 AM

I won't need to carry two mortgages, but I will have to continue paying lot rent here and my husband refuses to leave the home unattended. Luckily my new employer will reimburse me for one trip home a month.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:37 PM

168 posts, read 692,827 times
Trinkit, anyway you slice it, the real estate market is slow in Michigan. I'm in the same boat as southernlady5464, moved 10 months ago, still haven't sold the house in Michigan. I keep lowering the price in hopes of something. It's tough to sell a house when the majority of your competition are house being sold at foreclosure auctions.

Best of luck to you if you decide to move. Aiken is a great area. I live about 30 miles from there.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 PM

38 posts, read 160,546 times
Good luck. My parents are about to be in the same situation. They live in Livonia and my father just took a job in Atlanta. Novi is a nice area, so hopefully if the home is priced right you should sell quickly. South Carolina is great, we lived there for 2 years and are moving back in a month.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 4,327 times
Why is the City council, telling the police be hard on the homeless?With the people losing their homes because of the economy. There are going to be more new homeless, I used to be homeless and I bought an older RV. Everyone can be homeless, what are people to do if they do become homeless, with the police telling them to get out of town. You are one paycheck from being homeless. If you are having this problem in your city, call the city council. They are the ones that hire the police to go out and tell the homeless to get out of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan