U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,048 times

Advertisements

Soaring Eagle location, mid state is opening up a water park in May I believe. May be something worth checking out. I will be going for sure, as a Kalahari type vacationer. I think it could be interesting as gambling, waterpark, and, AND, kids daycare (in the form of games) for the time you need to gamble. Mount Pleasant is one that offers this. We've used the services in Wisconsin, it was good, the kids liked it.

Also, you have to check out Frankenmuth at least once. The food is good, maybe not as great as advertised, but good. You can try new things you might not experience in a regular restaurant. You will most likely be bombarded with so much food you can't possibly eat it all as well. The experience is however, one of a kind in Michigan. Does any other location in the US do German like Frankenmuth? I don't know, but it's cool if not just for one night. It can, and most likely WILL get boring for multiple days, but for a one time trip, AWESOME and worthwhile, especially if they have outdoor festivities. We from Michigan may plan once a year, or every other year, etc as to not get bored. If you have kids, Zenders waterpark, grab a suite. It's very nice and located near a semi private pool, fantastic stuff. Occastionally you might even see costumed characters around holiday time, as we saw the easter bunny during easter. We were in the basement of Zenders, which is a resturant and deli, and the easter bunny was walking around saying hello. Our young son shouted "EASTER BUNNY", and what do you know, he turned around from maybe 30 feet away and walked up to him. It was very cool, timed just perfect, etc.

Oh yeah, if you time it right, provided this isn't offered in your home state (which I think it would be), Renaissance Festival at the end of July/August? Fantastic stuff if you are into the mid evil era. Turkey drumstick ftw!

Last edited by nooneimportant; 04-27-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,312,817 times
You never mentioned when but if it's between October and May it's wide open. Funny how those pure Michigan commercials rarely, if ever, show snow scenes, barren trees, or gray skies. It happens once in a while.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM

47 posts, read 106,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Not the prison, right??
Kidding. Well May is here...what part are you moving to?
We're a rough bunch but not that rough lol. We've actually scheduled our one-way trip to DTW for May 29th. Work is near Rochester so we're looking at areas w/in a 15 minute drive, and really like Rochester so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Welcome!
Thanks!

We have a few days before hubby has to report to work so I thought we'd take a day trip to Frankenmuth - it may be kitschy but you all have convinced me! Hoping to see everything else mentioned here soon too.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM

258 posts, read 597,386 times
Hey all of you wonderful people. I totally spaced out on my posting as the family decided to go to Florida this summer. Good news is that we are on for Michigan in 2013 and so now I am going to print out all of your suggestions and go to work on planning for next summer. You are all the best for helping me out.

BTW: I have been to Frankenmuth as I had a boyfriend from there. I wouldn't make a separate trip there but I have fond memories.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,011,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiz1 View Post
We're a rough bunch but not that rough lol. We've actually scheduled our one-way trip to DTW for May 29th. Work is near Rochester so we're looking at areas w/in a 15 minute drive, and really like Rochester so far.
Thanks!
We have a few days before hubby has to report to work so I thought we'd take a day trip to Frankenmuth - it may be kitschy but you all have convinced me! Hoping to see everything else mentioned here soon too.
If the weather's nice you should visit Kensington metropark for a day.

Kensington Metro Park

Sandhill Cranes with colts walking around Kensington Metropark, May 2010 - YouTube
I share these opinions.
Kensington Metropark - Milford, MI
Or the Henry Ford museum (it's not just cars).

Old 05-04-2012, 06:52 PM

258 posts, read 597,386 times
Quote:
Well it's been over a week. When is your reunion - what time of year? How about posting some preferences of your own.
Mackinac Island I would visit, and stay in Mackinaw City. Don't know much about St. Ignace.

Camping? No Hotel/motel? No A large home would be our preference

Touring/exploring/sightseeing by car w/stopoffs? Yes

Citified action? Shows? Shopping? Restaurants? Yes

Nature? Hiking? Yes

Quaint towns?Yes
Water sports (kayaking/canoeing/tubing)? We have two boats so on the water would be a need

Dune rides (kids love these)? Where can you rent dune buggies?We are searching from Traverse City to the Charlavoix area I think. We may to a day on Macinac Island after the main trip
Beaches & parks?
[color="red"]Yes[color="Red"]

Old 05-04-2012, 09:05 PM

391 posts, read 651,910 times
Quote:
\
Oh man...I wonder how many people who crab-walk on all fours to get back to the top think it was a good idea that they went down? People don't read(or pay attention to) the signs...better to see it from the dunes perch then drive to Good Harbor Beach or to Empire.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 PM

4,068 posts, read 6,948,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
\
Oh man...I wonder how many people who crab-walk on all fours to get back to the top think it was a good idea that they went down? People don't read(or pay attention to) the signs...better to see it from the dunes perch then drive to Good Harbor Beach or to Empire.
Do it...those who did it and regretted it at the time, now look back and think..."man, that was awesome!" And it is...

Old 05-05-2012, 12:34 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,011,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
Hey all of you wonderful people. I totally spaced out on my posting as the family decided to go to Florida this summer. Good news is that we are on for Michigan in 2013 and so now I am going to print out all of your suggestions and go to work on planning for next summer. You are all the best for helping me out.

BTW: I have been to Frankenmuth as I had a boyfriend from there. I wouldn't make a separate trip there but I have fond memories.
The dune rides are at Silver Lake - further south of TC, but here"s a taste.

Mac Woods Dune Ride - Silver Lake, Michigan - YouTube

Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM

56 posts, read 146,212 times
Traveled all over the U.P. this summer and I just gotta say.....Michigan is awesome! After watching all the news about the fires and drought across the country, I have a greater appreciation for the great lake state. We have such a bounty of fresh water and it is beautiful. We LOVE Munising. We bring lunch with us and sit at a picnic table along the beach of Lake Superior that is open and free to the public. You can walk the pier, walk along Lake Superior and watch the boats launching for the Picture Rocks Tour. Many times there have been street fairs and musicians playing along the strip that adds to the enjoyment. Again.....all free. There are clean public restrooms and anything else you may need or want is within walking distance. Just awesome! Oh....and another "must do" on a Michigan list is Presque Isle Park in Marquette. The park and natural beauty will take your breath away. Be sure to park as soon as you enter the park across from the harbor. Either walk or bike the path through the park (it is drivable but a very narrow lane that is one-way). The rock formations along with the beauty of Lake Superior will take your breath away. It also is free and PURE MICHIGAN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan