Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
It amazes me that people who live here STILL have no clue how absolutely amazing this state is. On my business Facebook page, I have people who live here tell me all the time they have never been to the U.P., or Lake Superior, or Lake Michigan...seen the bridge, and some who see a picture and ask "what bridge is that"! lol Your right Dar...there is so much to do in this state its not even funny!
A few years ago I belonged to a vintage car club, we always had a annual " caravan" put on by the local chapter. It the case here it was the Michigan region , headquartered in Dearborn .A lot of planing went into this event as we would start at St ignace then make a big loop to the west to the Porkies and back to Mackinac Island for our 10 day finale black tie banquette at the Grand Hotel.I was shocked at the people on our tour( about 200), that had never crossed the big bridge,let alone had any thoughts about the UP. Many eyes widened as our tour progressed across the UP, up to Copper Country then on to the Porkies. There were about 125 cars from the Classic era ( 30s mostly). I recall arriving in Houghton for the night, the entire town came out to "look". We has somewhat of a problem with security also, mostly due to the locals never seeing such huge cars from a very different era in their life ! One of our members even got a " speeding ticket" for going too slow across 28 from Marquette ! It was like two worlds merging all at the same time, quite exciting for a lot of our people, who had been abroad many times, but had never been to the far reaches of their own state.
I was amused that so many felt like they were in a foreign country, I was even approached by several with many questions about the area that our schedule did not cover, like Copper Harbor. It sort of made me feel good I could answer the questions, yet me,not being even a resident of Michigan left me with mixed feelings.It was hard to understand as well so many of the locals up here that had also never been to Detroit in their life ! Green Bay yes, often, Chicago also, but not the south eastern part of our own state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
It amazes me that people who live here STILL have no clue how absolutely amazing this state is. On my business Facebook page, I have people who live here tell me all the time they have never been to the U.P., or Lake Superior, or Lake Michigan...seen the bridge, and some who see a picture and ask "what bridge is that"! lol Your right Dar...there is so much to do in this state its not even funny!

I cannot believe there are so many who lack the motivation to go see the U.P., or the bridge, .....

Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I cannot believe there are so many who lack the motivation to go see the U.P., or the bridge, .....
I think its just people are so comfortable with their surroundings, they dont really think there is much more to Michigan, or they figure they live here...why vacation here. I do know a lot of people who live in Southeast Michigan dont go north a whole lot just because it is too far a drive. To tell the truth, if I lived that way just knowing the traffic I have to deal with would keep me from doing a whole lot of driving north. About 7 years or so ago I had no idea how awesome Michigan was until we got into camping, and have traveled all over MI.... now I am one of the biggest lovers of Michigan you will find!

Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 PM

56 posts, read 188,594 times
Don't forget about Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum, located in Dearborn, Michigan.
Lots of history and pretty darn cool.

w

it

Old 04-26-2012, 05:06 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Don't forget about Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum, located in Dearborn, Michigan.
Lots of history and pretty darn cool.

w

it
I would bet there are people that Live in Dearborn that have not been there ! The Museum is one of the finest of its kind in North America. No one should miss it. Just as no one should miss the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, an other interpretative server of history, as is the Smithsonian in DC. I have been in almost all the museum's and library's of interest in the Americas. Looking back, it was that press card as a writer that got me into a lot of places., some the average person will never see. It helped to be a part of the SAE and SAH. History should not be missed by anyone. sadly, many run the other way when the word " History" is said out loud or even in print !

Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
We are planning a family reunion with 24 (11 adults and 13 children) of us and we would like especially to stay on the eastern side of Lake Michigan. We would like to stay in only one or two locations during an 8 day stay. What suggestions would you make? If we go to Mackinac Island would you stay on the island or just visit for the day? Holland? Traverse city? I am looking for some place with things to do for the kids.
Thanks all
Well it's been over a week. When is your reunion - what time of year? How about posting some preferences of your own.
Mackinac Island I would visit, and stay in Mackinaw City. Don't know much about St. Ignace.
Camping? Hotel/motel?
Touring/exploring/sightseeing by car w/stopoffs?
Citified action? Shows? Shopping? Restaurants?
Nature? Hiking?
Quaint towns?
Water sports (kayaking/canoeing/tubing)? Dune rides (kids love these)?
Beaches & parks?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM

56 posts, read 188,594 times
OH......please try and fit in a trip to Munising along Lake Superior in the U.P. It is the most adorable town. You can take the pictured rocks boat tour that travels the coastline of Lake Superior or you can rent kayaks explore the coastline yourself. If you do go, stop in at the Dogpatch restaurant. It is too cute. All decorated in Lil' Abner theme that serves huge portions with a staff that are Michigan friendly.

There is also a place not too many people know about called the Oswald's Bear Ranch (just outside of Newberry - located in central/NE area of U.P.) The kids will get a big kick out of seeing live bears roaming about.

One of the cool things about the Upper Penninsula is that you can experience the Great Lakes for free. If you travel along US-2 (west), there are many places to pull over and park along the shoreline of Lake Michigan. Make sure to bring towels, beach blankets, sun umbrellas, and a cooler of water and soft drinks and snacks. Have a picnic on the beach and go swimming....It's awesome and FREE!

Same thing along M-28 in the U.P along Lake Superior.....between Munising and Marquette. Plenty of places to pull over along the Lake Superior shoreline and walk the pristine beaches. Lake Superior is pretty cold for swimming, but perfect for walking along the shoreline. When I think of Pure Michigan ....this is what I think of.

W

Old 04-27-2012, 01:33 PM

47 posts, read 127,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
There is this town in washington called leavenworth right on the backdrop of the cascades. It's sorta the same thing, but it's done all around a little bit better in every corner plus the mountain feel makes it actually feel like bavaria.
Especially in the winter! I'm from Washington and going to Leavenworth was a family tradition.

Moving to MI in May, but I'm currently in Oregon, which isn't Washington, so this never felt like home anyway. I will forever miss Washington but you can't go home again....looking forward to making MI home.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,933,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiz1 View Post
Especially in the winter! I'm from Washington and going to Leavenworth was a family tradition.

Moving to MI in May, but I'm currently in Oregon, which isn't Washington, so this never felt like home anyway. I will forever miss Washington but you can't go home again....looking forward to making MI home.
Not the prison, right??
Kidding. Well May is here...what part are you moving to?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiz1 View Post

Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan