U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 PM

5,269 posts, read 2,262,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Naw, we have very dispersed tourist, most only go to our SW area around the bridge ., then there is the Munsing area. Marquette has not been a tourist place in the past, but does attract the outdoor sports types in all seasons.
Our most tourist area is the Copper Country, and over in the Porkies.
And if Michigan becomes tropical....
And if other states want our water (easiest to take from Lake MI)...
And if Detroit turns around...
And if TC becomes the new "large city" now lacking in the north...
And if the LP tourism wanes due to over-development (you can't stop greed or the "profit motive")...
If the UP becomes the last bastion of bucolic tourism...
So many possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:55 AM

7,930 posts, read 7,580,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
And if the LP tourism wanes due to over-development (you can't stop greed or the "profit motive")...
So many possibilities.
Lots of " what ifs" , but you are on the right track, things change, anythings possible. What ever the case, us Upper Michigan folks have always considered our part as a separate state, mostly in our minds and matter , considering all the clean living, stable home values, lots of jobs, and wages are high. There is a shortage of skilled workers, everywhere, up here its mostly in the building trades. ( building is very busy ,lots of new home demand as well as condos and apartments, being a College town). Our population has grown 3-4000 in 10 years, not all that great, but, at the very lest no losses as in other areas.Marquette is a wonderful place to live. best I have seen in 40 some years that I have been looking and living all around North America.
Now for " climate change", yes its happening here also. this makes the third mild winter with half as much snow, the lake did not freeze over, and tenps along the lake selsom get below 15-20 degrees. Alwats sunny in any case. I just upt in AC last week, because of our very warm summers as of late. One of the reasons there were so many drownings last winter, the water is now warm enough to swim in !

Last edited by darstar; 05-04-2012 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: should have said year not winter

Old 05-04-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
My experience with the UP is limited (lol to be precise NONEXISTENT) but all this reminds me of when I was staying in hawaii, i ran into no shortage of people who wanted to become independent of the usa. Then you got all the american patriots threatening that a break would be disastrous for hawaii, all those lost tourist dollars plus the kickback from the usa tax base But none of the islanders really cared about that, they're more worried about being priced out of their homes and the tourists clogging up the islands and the roads.

Maybe it's like that in the up I gotta visit.
You sure do. Just like Hawaii , its another world up here, not like Michigan at all.We already consider our little slice of Paradise as our own state, we call it Superior, Marquette is the Capital, and, for good reason !

Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,820,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
So many possibilities.
The bold statement will be one of our biggest challenges in the near future. Water is more valuable than oil. Wars will be fought over fresh water before too long.

Already other states are eyeing our water. The New Mexico governor when asked about the water shortage in the west said "Well the great lakes states are just going to have to share"

My response, you have gold, we have water. We will share when you share. An ounce of gold for an ounce of water. Also you need to give us Intel. They need too much water for them to stay in New Mexico anyway. Why should we give away (share) our resources while you collect millions for yours?

Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I got news for you...

The Detroit area (the counties you mentioned) produces 1/2 to 2/3 of the state's entire GDP. IT's only fair that it gets most of the revenue share back.

Furthermore, Detroit still produces by far the largest GDP of any municipality in the state.

Until your region produces 1/2 to 2/3 of the state's GDP and until your area has a city that produces a larger GDP than any other state municipality, you should stop your whining.

BTW, Detroit may actually be better off without the UP.
Thats one3 of the reasons we want Statehood. WE would like to choose our own destiny instead of corrupt Detroit sucking off all the revenue.WE don't want more than we deserve, so do noy try to tell me something. I already know , please, Do you think I am stupid ?... Don't answer that,....or do I don't care ether way. Keep reading the posts. Thats why I started it, to get different views and to see which the wind blows.. So far, very little feedback from the UP, but lots of trash from downstate rs, mostly who have never been here !

Old 05-04-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The bold statement will be one of our biggest challenges in the near future. Water is more valuable than oil. Wars will be fought over fresh water before too long.

Already other states are eyeing our water. The New Mexico governor when asked about the water shortage in the west said "Well the great lakes states are just going to have to share"

My response, you have gold, we have water. We will share when you share. An ounce of gold for an ounce of water. Also you need to give us Intel. They need too much water for them to stay in New Mexico anyway. Why should we give away (share) our resources while you collect millions for yours?
WE up here have the largest body of fresh water in the world, mostly the cleanest. . The difference is, we share half Lake Superior with Ontario. Any deals to be made will be with Canada, not lower Michigan alone, and or any state you folks want to try to sell our water too. WE will give you Lake Michigan as a consolation prize if thats OK ? Don't mess with our water in any way, or , maybe you should, that would demand statehood quicker than a new York Min. .

Old 05-04-2012, 09:34 AM

5,567 posts, read 4,000,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
One of the more interesting plans for statehood I ever saw actually included northern counties of Wisconsin and lower Michigan.
So Michigan would look like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Statehood subject comes up again.-fingerlessglove.jpg  

Old 05-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
What got me going were your stereotypes the average Down Stater has of the UP. Most have never been here, they for sure do not know what they are missing..... I wrote this from my I pad, so detail was not available or practical typing with one finger while still under the covers, ( with the windows open as its going to be 70 again today ) I like your comparison with Wyoming, good topic for debate, and, I will, a little latter, I have to be in a meeting in a few min., so I will address soon, sounds like fun ! In the meantime, lighten up on any disparaging remarks, we are very sensitive up here . LOL
OK , here I am, been busy. . Now Lets compare Wyoming, if for only any reason it comes close, considering sq miles to the UP. Cheyenne has about 66,000 people, Marquette County has about 70,000 people. Wyoming is quite a bit larger, so we must take all considerations based on that difference.The UP is actually wider than Wyoming, but not in other directions.Wyoming has 568,156 people. The UP has 300,000 people and 97,818 sq. miles. The UP 16,452. people . The density of people per sq miles in Wyoming is 5.85. It is higher than that here if you divide the numbers.
Wyoming has the same amount of federal rep. as the UP. Wyoming got statehood in 1890, the UP has yet to get it, and we have been waiting since 1836. The UP has 15 counties, Wyoming 23. There is 30,000,000 million acres of federal land in Wyoming. also 6 per cent State owned. Both "States" have about 96 per cent white people most from northern backgrounds, and most came to work in the mines, both Wyoming and the UP.
Now, regarding our ability to run and represent the state of Superior, you seem to think we are not up to the job. Let me tell you, we have had more wealthy, Statesman, famous people. That may not be true anymore with Jackson Hole so popular. living or owning property in the UP than Wyoming does. All they used to have was Dick Cheney and Alan Simpson, hardly a comparison, and mostly a waste, except Simpson was entertaining often. Bth areas grew up in the mining business, and both have played most of it over the years. Contrary however, Wyoming does produce a lot of coal, while the UP is rich in Iron Ore. We have a seaport an an active marine environment, Wyoming does not. I do not know the extent of Federal owned land in the UP, but it is more per acres than Wyoming., as a relationship to sq. miles..
Lastly , I have been to the State Capital in Wyoming, very small. Marquette county's Court House is larger. We now in the works one of the largest cardic speciality hospitals in the Country. Did rank in the top 100, but that will change, as the Duke Group has purchasedit and intends to go head to head with the Mayo Clinic. Lots of new doctors and support people coming in now. Our cities, townships and county medical ranks higher than Wyoming. than anything as in

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So Michigan would look like this:
What is the bare thumb for ? And , by the way, most true Yoopers start sandles and shorts about April 1st, cold and or snow regardless, They seldom wear gloves.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:07 AM

15,820 posts, read 28,820,190 times
Wyoming was not already part of a State was it?

Wyoming was not the consolation prize given to a State in exchange for giving up a claimed territory to another State to end a war.

Michigan defends her terriory. We fought for Toledo and if you try to succeed we will come across our bridge and invade the UP. If we can find any people up there, we will put them in jail for disturbing the peace.

Ny the way, it is nto going to happen. Th 90 people pushing for succession will not convince the other 290,910 people of the UP to become traitors to their state.

On a more seious note, I wonder what percetnage of UP land is owned by Yoopers vs. Trolls? I suspect that more of the UP is owned by Trolls than by yoopers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan