U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM

7,940 posts, read 7,879,086 times
Default Statehood subject comes up again.

There is current talk being spread around places in the UP, For us to consider statehood once again. I would like to get some feedback from the people in Michigan as a whole about this.
As many know,we have had 4 attempts so far, last one was in the late 70s. It's a different world today, perhaps it would only be fair for the people in the UP to take another look. We pay more in taxes then we ever get back, and worst of all, our mineral wealth continues to be exploited ,then shipped out. Just what do we get in return for the taking of our precious assets mother natured provided.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM

5,468 posts, read 2,476,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There is current talk being spread around places in the UP, For us to consider statehood once again. I would like to get some feedback from the people in Michigan as a whole about this.
As many know,we have had 4 attempts so far, last one was in the late 70s. It's a different world today, perhaps it would only be fair for the people in the UP to take another look. We pay more in taxes then we ever get back, and worst of all, our mineral wealth continues to be exploited ,then shipped out. Just what do we get in return for the taking of our precious assets mother natured provided.?
Well I like it as part of Michigan. It makes us unique, but I have no clue as to what it would mean to downstate.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:17 PM

2,733 posts, read 2,740,217 times
I lived in the UP for 9 years and heard much about statehood while I was there. I understand that desire, why would those living in the UP want to be tied to the problems they associate with downstate??(mostly Detroit) High taxes, overbearing state goverment that focuses its energy on Detroit, all issues people in the UP get upset about and all of them are legitament. I think if a serious movement to seperate the UP got afoot you would find parts of lower Michigan attempting to join with the UP. Anti Detroit sentiment is strong all over Michigan, and a feeling that much of the states efforts and revenue are wasted in the 3 counties in the southeast of the state is shared by many. For sure the northern third of the lower peninsula would ask to take part, and possibly parts of western Michigan as well. Anyone living in the lower two thirds of the lower peninsula who was excluded would then be forced to live in a state even more dominated by the southeast Michigan power base. Im not sure how that would go, since I know that most in those areas would find that situation unaceptable. Statehood for northern Mi/UP would be a huge positive for the people living in that area, but for those forced to live in an even more Detroit/southeast dominated state it would be terrible. The rest of Michigan would decline even quicker, and the exodus of people out would accelerate.
I think it would be easier if the rest of Michigan asked Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Monroe to kindly leave and let the rest of Michigan alone. They could set up the state Of Detroit and make a go of it on thier own. Then we could move the state capitol to the straights area just to make sure those in the UP knew they were fairly represented.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:18 PM

816 posts, read 667,248 times
Well this is my perspective as a troll which is that I would hate to lose the UP as part of Michigan. It actually makes me feel bad that Yoopers don't want to be part of Michigan with us here in the LP. We aren't all a bad lot down here. We're the only state in the union that has two peninsulas like this. I think it's great how we have the bridge, and I get tired of hearing how the Golden Gate is about the only bridge of worthy note in the country. The Mighty Mac is awesome. I think the UP and LP together make Michigan the best state in the country (winter is my only negative). My plea would be please don't leave us, but I guess you folks up north will have to do as you feel best.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Well this is my perspective as a troll which is that I would hate to lose the UP as part of Michigan. It actually makes me feel bad that Yoopers don't want to be part of Michigan with us here in the LP. We aren't all a bad lot down here. We're the only state in the union that has two peninsulas like this. I think it's great how we have the bridge, and I get tired of hearing how the Golden Gate is about the only bridge of worthy note in the country. The Mighty Mac is awesome. I think the UP and LP together make Michigan the best state in the country (winter is my only negative). My plea would be please don't leave us, but I guess you folks up north will have to do as you feel best.
O come on now, let us have some fun too. If we do get this going again it will be the fifth try. Our chances are small, but a lot of toppers Have had enough of being neglected, taxed, and stripped of our natural resources. Just think how proud you would be to have another state to your north. I think in general Statehood would bring millions for both sides, just because of the publicity.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM

2,732 posts, read 3,728,511 times
How much money does Lansing pump into the U.P., and how much of that tax revenue comes from the major metros like Detroit? The biggest problem for U.P. statehood is that the tax base is so small, and there really aren't many ways to create new forms of commerce up there. There's not even a major city. The population of the U.P. (just under 300K) would make it by far the smallest of any U.S. state (currently Wyoming at about 560K), and the geographic isolation and the brutal winters would prevent any kind of significant population growth. I just don't see how it could possibly work.

If the Yoopers don't like Michigan, they might be better off asking Wisconsin to annex them.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:05 AM

7,507 posts, read 9,791,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
How much money does Lansing pump into the U.P., and how much of that tax revenue comes from the major metros like Detroit? The biggest problem for U.P. statehood is that the tax base is so small, and there really aren't many ways to create new forms of commerce up there. There's not even a major city. The population of the U.P. (just under 300K) would make it by far the smallest of any U.S. state (currently Wyoming at about 560K), and the geographic isolation and the brutal winters would prevent any kind of significant population growth. I just don't see how it could possibly work.

If the Yoopers don't like Michigan, they might be better off asking Wisconsin to annex them.
FREE the Yoopers ! The country needs another economic Mississippi.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post

You are off base with your statements, next time look up what the real numbers say, as well as your typical words that often come from so many Trolls.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 4,739,160 times
Well, I am not sure why most of the U.P. hates the LP...its not our fault the politicians ignore you guys. We get up there every chance we can to spend our money, and even though we do love the U.P. if everyone up there hates us so bad, and wants out... I guess we would just stop short of the bridge and spend our money in the LP.
I think if the U.P. did become its own state, it would be even more ignored, especially by tourists. Everyone I know down here loves the U.P. and goes quite a bit, and they also brag about it to everyone who come from out of state. "You have to go to the U.P. when you come to Michigan" If the U.P. becomes its own state, that kind of talk would probably disappear, and the U.P would lose even more money.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,728,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
You are off base with your statements, next time look up what the real numbers say, as well as your typical words that often come from so many Trolls.
Those are real numbers. Tell me what part is inaccurate, and then we'll talk.

It's just common sense. The U.P. could never sustain itself as an independent state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan