U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,367 times
Default Michigan rated 46th Best State for Business in 2012

Hopefully this will turn around with Snyder at the reigns.

Another Triumph for Texas: Best/Worst States for Business 2012 | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

http://chiefexecutive.net/10-worst-s...12-slideshow/6
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:47 AM

6,943 posts, read 4,749,446 times
Clearly a list and site with a far-right wing bias.

It's no coincidence that the highest rank states also have the most unskilled workers, highest levels of poverty, receive more in taxes than they pay and have the lowest incomes per capita (yeah yeah, facts, I know...).

Of course Michigan is definitely on its way to having those same chracteristics as well with our far-right, fascists politicians.

But yeah, if they'er going to talk the talk, they can walk the walk as well.

Why the hell are they in Connecticut if it's such an awful place to do business?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM

7,230 posts, read 10,931,782 times
Any reason why someone in Charlotte NC is interested in posting a random article and equally random ranking in the Michigan section? Are you someone who brings up totally random facts at dinner parties.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM

5,554 posts, read 2,579,189 times
A poll of CEOs - give me a break! Why wasn't Red China included - it would have won hands down.
Yeah, they like places with cheap labor and few regulations.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:52 PM

3,073 posts, read 2,572,667 times
Since when did taxes mean anti-business? I thought corporations were people? Shouldn't they pay taxes like the rest of us?

I also like how the top 5 worst places for business are the areas that have the most amount of business. If it weren't for the oil companies, I'm sure Texas would be similar to most of the other big states.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Any reason why someone in Charlotte NC is interested in posting a random article and equally random ranking in the Michigan section?
I still own a home in Troy, MI.

Like it or not, CEOs are the ones that provide jobs. I don't recall many companies moving to Michigan recently, but in Charlotte we have had quite a few move here in the past 3 years - Chiquita being one of the recent large ones.

Attracting talent to NC is very easy due to the quality of life, not much can be said about Detroit.

Sorry, I love MI and look at it very positively, but facts are facts.

As for the lowest incomes per capita remark, I seem to be doing pretty good down here!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM

3,900 posts, read 1,910,243 times
And Indiana is ranked #5
Good thing Rick Snyder is taking note from Mitch Daniels playbook.
Indiana might just help save Michigan
After taking residents and jobs for all these years thats a good way to say thank you.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Yeah, they like places with cheap labor and few regulations.
Yet people are moving there in droves. Go figure.

Over 500,000 people left MI the past 10 years, probably most in the past 5. Granholm was right when she said "And in 5 years, you are going to be blown away". I sure was!

Michigan is the 46th Best State for Business 2012 | ChiefExecutive.net | Chief Executive Magazine

Don't get me wrong, I want the Great Lakes state to succeed as much as anyone that still lives there, I still call it my home.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

5,554 posts, read 2,579,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I still own a home in Troy, MI.
* Like it or not, CEOs are the ones that provide jobs.
* Attracting talent to NC is very easy due to the quality of life, not much can be said about Detroit.
-----
A) Polling only CEOs about a business climate, and expecting objectivity, is like polling a felon's mother about her son.
B) Consumers create jobs. CEOs manage businesses.
C) You're comparing North Carolina to the city of Detroit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
-----Granholm was right when she said "And in 5 years, you are going to be blown away". I sure was!
Don't get me wrong, I want the Great Lakes state to succeed as much as anyone that still lives there, I still call it my home.
Every time I hear this about Granholm, nobody ever says specifically what she did wrong or could have done better. It's mostly a blind faith.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM

15,820 posts, read 30,995,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Every time I hear this about Granholm, nobody ever says specifically what she did wrong or could have done better. It's mostly a blind faith.

Mostly is is what she did not do. She did almost nothing. If hse had done some of the kinds of things Snyder is doing now, we would not be int eh condition we are in.

This "poll" s strange. The reports or polls I have seen has Michigan in the top 10 and in one case number 2 as the best places to do business or for business opportunities. What was the most recent Forbes ranking? We had a huge jump on some list when they did away with the MBT. Which list was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan