Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
When I went to Traverse City, traffic was horrible also.

But I still loved it there, because I just assumed it was part of the deal. I enjoyed it once I was out of the car.

But I am also not going to criticize someone if the traffic ruined it for them. I can see how that could happen.
As an East Coast transplant, I find people complaining about "traffic" in Traverse City very amusing. Definitely not from the "well traveled" segment of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectwanda1 View Post
Maybe it was my fault, I just so happened to pick the worst day to travel to Traverse City....it was a sunny day in the midst of a yucky weather week and everyone decided to get out and enjoy the sunshine at the same time.
Again.....my fault. After all, I only traveled 3 hours to be there, and my expectations were high. Again.....my fault.

It was congested, noisy and the other drivers were "manic". Perhaps we hit some kind of "shift change" or school was letting out....whatever.....all I know was that it didn't feel like "Pure Michigan"......but again perhaps.....it was my fault.

W

And why couldn't you park the car and walk around, especially after driving 3 hours to get there?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:39 PM

56 posts, read 188,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Don't let em railroad you. If traffic was awful and drivers were rude that's the way it was. Nothing was your fault. Everyone has their own opinion and you have to take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt - the lovers and the not so much.

Hell its not even summer yet.

Thanks for your compassion. I had all intentions of falling in love with Traverse City. I could Not wait to get there. Maybe my expectations were too high and I set myself up for a fall. We did drive around the town and we stopped, shopped, and had cherry pie in town. And it was nice, don't get me wrong.....it's just the traffic and drivers ruined it for me, and I couldn't help but wonder that when non-Michiganders stay at those beautiful hotels on the the beach.....can they hear Lake Michigan lapping on the shores, see the the stars in the sky, or hear the "peepers" at night? Or.....do they just hear cars and see street/traffic lights. Can they really appreciate how awesome Michigan is?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
While in Petoskey, did you make it over to Harbor Springs?

Unfortunately we did not....however.....Thanks for the tip.....we will put Harbor Springs on our "bucket list". Tell me about Harbor Springs.....is it lovely?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Traverse isn't a sleepy little northern town anymore. It's the place that's grown by leaps and bounds over the years. I agree that traffic can get bad at times at least by standards for this area. When I was in my young days it was common to not see a popular movie for months after its release. It took forever for them to come to the at the time two theaters in TC. It was even worse for smaller surrounding towns. Shopping was limited to nothing but the stores along Front Street. Traverse is past all that now and has most things that the bigger cities downstate have. I'm personally very happy about it because it's a great town with much to do. Anyone coming to Traverse looking to get away from the bigger city atmosphere for awhile will likely be disappointed. As far as rude drivers it's too bad you stumbled into that. I think any place people are on the road you can get a day like that. Most of the time Traverse isn't noted for rude driving. It was just one of those days I think.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
It's just the traffic and drivers ruined it for me, and I couldn't help but wonder that when non-Michiganders stay at those beautiful hotels on the the beach.....can they hear Lake Michigan lapping on the shores, see the the stars in the sky, or hear the "peepers" at night? Or.....do they just hear cars and see street/traffic lights. Can they really appreciate how awesome Michigan is?
Most people come to Michigan because they love the beauty...trust me. The "traffic" comes with the territory of being one of Michigans "go to" destinations. To tell you the truth, as many times as I've been there, I never really had a bad experience with traffic in TC. Sure some people are crazy at times, but I never really thought to myself "Man...these people are NUTS"...lol
You may be right at setting your expectations too high....Give it another chance someday.

Last edited by michmoldman; 05-03-2012 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 08:11 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
The only time I have seen bad traffic in TC is during the 4th of July airshow weekend.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Most people come to Michigan because they love the beauty...trust me. The "traffic" comes with the territory of being one of Michigans "go to" destinations. To tell you the truth, as many times as I've been there, I never really had a bad experience with traffic in TC. Sure some people are crazy at times, but I never really thought to myself "Man...these people are NUTS"...lol
You may be right at setting your expectations too high....Give it another chance someday.

You are right Michmoldman.......everyone deserves a second chance...So...We will give it another try. My husband is of the opinion that because we have been living permanently in the U.P for the last 3 years, we are not used to seeing more than 3 cars on the road at the same time and we may have been a little overwhelmed. So.....Traverse City we will forget our first "date" and we will definately see you again!

Old 05-03-2012, 08:17 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
As an East Coast transplant, I find people complaining about "traffic" in Traverse City very amusing. Definitely not from the "well traveled" segment of the population.
C'mon, man. That is BS, and very condescending. I've done plenty of traveling. I spent last weekend in Baltimore and D.C. I know what bad traffic is. If it takes 4 cycles to get through a traffic light, it's bad traffic. That's what happened to me in T.C. It didn't happen to me when I was out east.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
You are right Michmoldman.......everyone deserves a second chance...So...We will give it another try. My husband is of the opinion that because we have been living permanently in the U.P for the last 3 years, we are not used to seeing more than 3 cars on the road at the same time and we may have been a little overwhelmed. So.....Traverse City we will forget our first "date" and we will definately see you again!
I'm glad you're going to give TC another try. It's really a great town/city. If for some reason you just don't like it on the second visit there are many other areas to travel to which are also wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan