Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:15 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times

Advertisements

Staying on the Island is not bad if you are at an inn or hotel off the water. I would spend three days there if I spent the night. It is not as dead as some make it seem.
There are some amazing and fun hiking trails throughout the island, many natural formations to check out, the fort, playground at the school, horseback riding, carriage tours, art gallery, mini putting greens (not quite putt-putt - nicer), special movie nights at mission point, live music, performances of all kinds, bike riding...and yeah there are no beaches per se, but many locals swim anyway, and on really hot days I would too rocks and all!

However, staying in Mackinaw city or Cheboygan (yes my plug) is a great option! Not only do you have the island to visit, you would have fort michilimackinac on the mainland, millcreek discovery park, Wilderness state park for great trails, Second beach (county beach) just one mile (or two) outside town for the best beach in the area, Tahquamenon falls one hour north, The Soo Locks about an hour north, sturgeon bay and bliss beach with beautiful sand dunes, waterpark in mackinaw city, lumberjack show in mackinaw....etc. etc. Lots to do in Cheboygan too (and more affordable...however if you stay in mackinaw- negotiate, negotiate, negotiate your hotel price- I used to work up there, they have a low price they can go to, work for it!)

Ferry tickets I think are up to $22 right now, but you can check out arnold, starline, or sheplers to see!

Lots of great lighthouses in the area too!!!
Good luck planning your trip!!!

I live in Philadelphia now and see the Pure Michigan commercials all the time! I love them and they make me so homesick! (just over a week and I'll be there!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Middle Class can have a ball in the Mackinaw area. I personally wouldn't spend a week on Mackinac Island because while it IS beautiful, it would get old fast for me and my family. I would do just what DetwahDJ mentioned: Stay in either St. Ignace or Mackinaw City and do a couple day trips to the Island and day trips to other areas on both sides of the Mackinac Bridge. More economical (Island prices tend to be on the higher side for accommodations.)

Arnold is the oldest ferry service in the area serving Mackinac Island, but the State of Michigan ran the ferry service that ran between Mackinaw City and St. Ignace. They did that for 34 years ending in 1957 when the bridge opened... before that the only reliable way between the two cities (5 miles apart by water) was a 850+ mile drive around Lake Michigan or a 900+ mile drive around Lake Huron.
OK I vaguely remember lining up for that ferry ride bumper to bumper. Thought it was big fun. The family made it to Indian Lake State Park one trip. Later we made it to the Porkies, Keweenaw (Fort Wilkins), and Calumet where we had cousins. It's pretty much a blur now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan