Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times

Advertisements

As someone who works in higher education I am astounded by the attitudes of current students who are undergraduates, mainly freshman who ask me this question all the time.. "is it worth my time to go to college"? While many recent grads are unemployed, it is extremely frustrating to hear these attitudes from students, and as a secondary blow, our continued reduction in public education funding in this state is setting the course for our future. While current enrollment numbers at many public Michigan schools is at historic highs, many kids fall short of finishing and get caught in low wage service industry positions. What are some of the thoughts from readers on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,626 times
I always respond with a simple answer: You cannot afford to skip college unless you're Bill Gates.

There are no compelling reasons to skip college.

Yes, there are people who do skip it and do just fine. But that is playing the lottery. Go to college or risk making minimum wage the rest of your life. That is the message I have for anyone who asks.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I did not go. I have all the money I will ever need. Vision and determination, that is the answer. It may or may not included higher education.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:07 PM

485 posts, read 966,356 times
Default Hmmm

I'm not sure on the answer to this. I have a degree and have actually used it for my specific major my whole career so, on the surface, I could say, yes, get the degree! On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of people besides Bill Gates that can and have been a success with no college. If you are smart, resourceful, creative, and can meet a need, there's no reason you can't push forward without ever paying tuition at a university except for the bias among employers that think a piece of paper makes you better than other candidates.

Frankly, I think colleges could reduce the required number of credits for most majors. I hate to be TOO cynical but at least a year of required or elective classes could be eliminated in some subjects that have nothing to do with what that person is going to be in life per their chosen major. I am of the opinion that colleges mandate too many credits in order to pad their revenues and that colleges have not done their part in reducing costs in order to keep tuition affordable. But, that's my cynical side talking.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 PM

86 posts, read 267,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I'm not sure on the answer to this. I have a degree and have actually used it for my specific major my whole career so, on the surface, I could say, yes, get the degree! On the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of people besides Bill Gates that can and have been a success with no college. If you are smart, resourceful, creative, and can meet a need, there's no reason you can't push forward without ever paying tuition at a university except for the bias among employers that think a piece of paper makes you better than other candidates.

Frankly, I think colleges could reduce the required number of credits for most majors. I hate to be TOO cynical but at least a year of required or elective classes could be eliminated in some subjects that have nothing to do with what that person is going to be in life per their chosen major. I am of the opinion that colleges mandate too many credits in order to pad their revenues and that colleges have not done their part in reducing costs in order to keep tuition affordable. But, that's my cynical side talking.
I find the "padding" comment to be true. I have looked into furthering my education, only to find that if I can test out of all the basics, then I can pay $3200 for the credits--this is ridiculous. And not possible in MI at this time, since one of us is working, I don't qualify for any kind of grant. A prisoner can get one, but a person who genuinely would like to better their lot is SOL?

Old 09-12-2007, 11:42 PM

293 posts, read 849,900 times
I don't know the answer, and this hits close to home. I couldn't afford to go to college right out of high school, and I decided to go back to get my degree after I had my youngest child since my husband lost his job and never regained a comparable income. I am not an entrepreneur and even though I tried really hard to think of ideas for businesses I could start, I couldn't think of any, so I went to school hoping that would help me make more than $10 an hour. I just graduated with honors and I still can't get a job - I haven't even gotten an interview. When I completed the exit counseling for financial aid, I applied for an income based reduction in my student loan repayments and qualified for it, but I'm terrified that I won't even be able to make those reduced payments once my grace period ends in a couple months. Ask me again in a year and see if I've gotten a job yet, but as of right now all I see is that I have an extra $30,000 in debt that I can't repay.

Last edited by wanderer74; 09-12-2007 at 11:54 PM..

Old 09-13-2007, 08:06 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
I would say in most circumstances college is worth the time. Ive never used my liberal arts or Business degrees but I learned things in college that helped me make good decision throughout my life. Micro and macro Economics, Principals and cost accounting were a powerful look into how money flows through our economy. Psych and Sociology classses gave me a textbook understanding of psychological and emotional problems I have ran into myself, family members, co workers etc...Even in the jobs ive worked outside my degree area the knowledge gained in school has helped tremendously. Whether using a new guage to make a precise measurement or understanding the relationship of ownership and labor at union meetings I always flet I had great fundemental knowledge of the forces that effect me in the workplace.

The key is the major course of study you choose. For instance I think I would have been further ahead with a degree in accounting instead of a plain business degree. Sure its a harder cirriculum but I think I could have handled it and I would probably be better off today. With the liberal arts degree (psychology) I should have tried to get a masters maybe in Social Work and again would have had better opportunities and advancement. Then there are the professions like medicine and law where the time and financial commitment are substantial but the payoff is almost certain in the end.

I know people who got into the trade unions fresh out of high school and have spent many years building well paying careers as electricians boiler makers etc... I also know a man who became wealthy after he took an insurance settlement and bought a 40 loaded with timbber a chain saw and clear cut the land selling to the local paper mill. After he did 8 40s like this he had enough to buy a 60 unit Super 8 hotel and from there it was like a game of monopoly and he was winning.

Sometimes there might be better options but I dont think college is ever a waste of time

Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociologist View Post
As someone who works in higher education I am astounded by the attitudes of current students who are undergraduates, mainly freshman who ask me this question all the time.. "is it worth my time to go to college"? While many recent grads are unemployed, it is extremely frustrating to hear these attitudes from students, and as a secondary blow, our continued reduction in public education funding in this state is setting the course for our future. While current enrollment numbers at many public Michigan schools is at historic highs, many kids fall short of finishing and get caught in low wage service industry positions. What are some of the thoughts from readers on this issue?
I would not have my cool job or professional salary w/o my Master's degree. But in many ways I value my "useless" undergrad degree (in English Lit) more. That was where I got a great deal of my education. The attitudes you mention spring partly from the perception that you go to college primarily to get a job. I know it's not like that a lot of places in Europe, where you might have a degree or two in history and still be pressing a button on an assembly line in a dairy processing plant. Poeple there take it for granted that you might not get a highly-paid job out of your studies, but they go in order to learn to use their brains. That will serve you all your life no matter what happens.

I doubt also that it's as common there as it is here to go to college unable to read or compute. That has to have a lot to do with the dropout rate in American colleges. Many people who do go for only a year or two wind up in the swell jobs they wanted at 1/4 or 1/2 the cost of getting a full degree.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 267,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
I don't know the answer, and this hits close to home. I couldn't afford to go to college right out of high school, and I decided to go back to get my degree after I had my youngest child since my husband lost his job and never regained a comparable income. I am not an entrepreneur and even though I tried really hard to think of ideas for businesses I could start, I couldn't think of any, so I went to school hoping that would help me make more than $10 an hour. I just graduated with honors and I still can't get a job - I haven't even gotten an interview. When I completed the exit counseling for financial aid, I applied for an income based reduction in my student loan repayments and qualified for it, but I'm terrified that I won't even be able to make those reduced payments once my grace period ends in a couple months. Ask me again in a year and see if I've gotten a job yet, but as of right now all I see is that I have an extra $30,000 in debt that I can't repay.
Thank you. You have put it all in perspective for me, my sister was the smart one, she is a hairdresser, maybe a dumb blonde, but SHE has a job!!

They don't want me in academia anyway, my mind works in far too unique ways, like Driller, I can invent and solve, but not the way the rest of the world thinks.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Right now a major Michigan post-college question is: are you going to sit tight and hope someone notices you in the crowd of applicants snapping like piranhas at every job opening, or are you willing to relocate to use that degree? At that point the 30 thou might well be worth it.

Better yet, are you willing to start your own business and hire some prime Michigan help to run it with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan