U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:00 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,896,415 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to know if anyone you know has been affected by Obama care? Or do you have a relative, spouse etc that is now living in fear of the impact of Obama care? My wife works for DMC, and last week they cut 7 full time employee's and said " more cuts will follow"
I spoke with my brother yesterday. He was upper management for Banner health care out west. After 30 years..... yes 30!!! 30!!! YEARS he was laid off with no chance of recall yesterday. Are the hospital jumping the gun preparing for the worse? Or do they know more than we do? There are 2 sides if you look up information on Obama care. The ones that think it's the greatest thing, and the other saying hospitals won't make as much money and patient care is going to suffer. Where are the stories on the workers and how it's going to impact them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:24 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,682,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone you know has been affected by Obama care? Or do you have a relative, spouse etc that is now living in fear of the impact of Obama care? My wife works for DMC, and last week they cut 7 full time employee's and said " more cuts will follow"
I spoke with my brother yesterday. He was upper management for Banner health care out west. After 30 years..... yes 30!!! 30!!! YEARS he was laid off with no chance of recall yesterday. Are the hospital jumping the gun preparing for the worse? Or do they know more than we do? There are 2 sides if you look up information on Obama care. The ones that think it's the greatest thing, and the other saying hospitals won't make as much money and patient care is going to suffer. Where are the stories on the workers and how it's going to impact them?
this has nothing specifically to do with Michigan, but keep in mind that the whole point of Obama care is to push health insurance onto everyone in order to minimize the cost of treating the uninsured who show up in ER's and cannot be refused treatment (you can argue the whole government overreach part, but this was one of the basic reasons) that would be pushed to those who do have health insurance with higher premiums. Hospitals would likely need to hire more people as a result of obamacare, because more people will come in for things they would not have otherwise when they were not insured. Either way, a majority of the health care law will not go into effect until 2014, so any layoffs at local hospitals would have nothing to do with the law itself.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM

71 posts, read 128,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
The people I know who "live in fear" are the most uninformed. Those I personally know who are in support of The Affordable Care Act tend to be well-read and informed. As far as issues having "2 sides"....I prefer looking for truth, not 2 different opinions.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 PM

91 posts, read 75,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
The people I know who "live in fear" are the most uninformed. Those I personally know who are in support of The Affordable Care Act tend to be well-read and informed. As far as issues having "2 sides"....I prefer looking for truth, not 2 different opinions.
The reality is that government by its nature is picking winners and losers. If something was win win for everyone, no one would need to force it to happen. The reason for the individual mandate is because of the self selection issue. The government knew their were going to be losers and that the losers could recognize it and take evasive measures. Therefore, the government made the insurance manditory. There was an old Heinlein short story about the economic impact of a machine that could tell your date of death. It destroyed the life insurance market. Many people will be negatively affected by ACA and many people will be helped. Some people who are hurt by ACA today may be helped by it years from now. I am going to be hurt by it because I already have good health insurance and will have to pay higher taxes. But then again, if I avoid pneumonia because my students are now covered and don't come to school sick, I will have been helped. Some benefits and losses are hard to quantify. The reality is that thousands of people will lose their jobs with ACA, but thousands of Jobs will be created. Many of the people who live in fear have legit concerns because they know their own circumstances. If I lose my job and you get one, from a macroeconomic point of view, nothing happened. My bank account would disagree. The fact is that their will be a lot of losers from ACA - and a lot of winners. I hate the politics of denying the negative consequences of a policy because it delays addressing and fixing them.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:50 PM

6,419 posts, read 7,678,531 times
No fear here... All good!
I'm not a big fan of the "tax", but it's about damn time we join the rest of the civilized world with health care.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:00 PM

826 posts, read 726,060 times
No fear here either. It's past time insurance companies are held accountable.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 AM

391 posts, read 394,297 times
I don't "live in fear" of ACA, largely because I don't have Fox News on the TV all day.

There will be changes, and there will be disruptions and mistakes...that's inevitable when changing such a huge and chaotic system. But changes, big changes, are needed. The idea, put forward by anti-ACA flacks, that we have the best healthcare system in the world is demonstrably false.

The truth is, we'd be better off with a Canadian style healthcare system. My Canadian relatives think Americans are suckers for tolerating the outrageous, very expensive (twice the money, no better results), and unfair way we do healthcare in the US.

Even though I expect difficulties I welcome the changes, and will support further changes down the line.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 PM

826 posts, read 726,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
I don't "live in fear" of ACA, largely because I don't have Fox News on the TV all day.

There will be changes, and there will be disruptions and mistakes...that's inevitable when changing such a huge and chaotic system. But changes, big changes, are needed. The idea, put forward by anti-ACA flacks, that we have the best healthcare system in the world is demonstrably false.

The truth is, we'd be better off with a Canadian style healthcare system. My Canadian relatives think Americans are suckers for tolerating the outrageous, very expensive (twice the money, no better results), and unfair way we do healthcare in the US.

Even though I expect difficulties I welcome the changes, and will support further changes down the line.
My Canadian friends tell me the same thing. They say Canadians simply wouldn't tolerate the US system of health care.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:21 PM

7,717 posts, read 10,565,559 times
After YEARS of not having insurance because many employers have cut benefits or demanded hefty co-pays, we will finally have coverage! I guess the choice is to move to a country that does not have gov't health care---like IRAN...

Old 07-01-2012, 03:22 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,896,415 times
You must be friends with Canadians that never stepped foot in an American hospital. I know two people who live in Canada and neither like their system and I was with one the first time she was in a U.S hospital and she was amazed by how big and clean it was. Maybe things have changed since then, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan