U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-21-2012, 05:41 AM

7,892 posts, read 7,112,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
I forgot to add up there, Darstar- my husband works here in Nebraska for the V.A. hospital- because of the type of work he does, it would pretty much have to be another V.A. hospital, as opposed to, say, an outpatient center or something. I'm not 100 percent on this, but I want to say the V.A. only has five hospitals in MI- all downstate (Battle Creek, Ann Arbor..Detroit, ummm...can't remember the other one, lol, and Iron Mountain) except for Iron Mountain. So we were pretty limited, unless we wanted to live downstate which actually would be ok, I like it there as well- but he had to apply for an opening and be selected, even though he is already a federal employee- and who can turn down ANYwhere in the U.P.? lol
Thats great, Your only other choice would have been in Wi. but I think you made a better one with Iron Mountain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM

464 posts, read 349,238 times
What's it like to live in Iron River these days? My great grandparents settled there way back in the day, and my mom grew up there. We spent every summer there when I was growing up, and I love it. Have been back a few times, the last time about three or four years ago. Very few relatives left, but I still love the place tho it no longer seems to be thriving. Any opinions on what it would be like to live there in retirement. I would know a few people, especially in summer.

Unread 08-05-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
What's it like to live in Iron River these days? My great grandparents settled there way back in the day, and my mom grew up there. We spent every summer there when I was growing up, and I love it. Have been back a few times, the last time about three or four years ago. Very few relatives left, but I still love the place tho it no longer seems to be thriving. Any opinions on what it would be like to live there in retirement. I would know a few people, especially in summer.
There has been quite a discussion on Ironwood on an other thread. Seems some like It, others hate it? Check out the other threads. My thoughts were it seemed so remote being at almost the western edge of the Up. Industry is coming back with iron mines, and in the future due to the geology , other mining will develop also as we are told. There are several companies testing the soil and rocks as of late.
The most famous over the years when talking Ironwood was the skiing that brought people from all over the Midwest. I am sure there is more that we do not know about, being tourist and all.

Unread 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM

464 posts, read 349,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
There has been quite a discussion on Ironwood on an other thread. Seems some like It, others hate it? Check out the other threads. My thoughts were it seemed so remote being at almost the western edge of the Up. Industry is coming back with iron mines, and in the future due to the geology , other mining will develop also as we are told. There are several companies testing the soil and rocks as of late.
The most famous over the years when talking Ironwood was the skiing that brought people from all over the Midwest. I am sure there is more that we do not know about, being tourist and all.

Thank you for taking the time to write, but I asked about Iron River.

Unread 08-06-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Thank you for taking the time to write, but I asked about Iron River.
Sorry, I should have read before I posted. Actually I know very little about Iron River, one of the few places in the UP I have not got a "feel" for.

Unread 11-07-2012, 07:24 PM

5 posts, read 2,518 times
Smile Moving to da U.P.

Well.... we dress in 'layers' up here! You can always take stuff off if you get too warm, but you'll start putting 'em back on again as the day wears on!!! If you're near the Big Lakes, it's windy. Lots of us do use our snow-machines to get around (our smaller towns), or on Mackinac Island. "Fashion" is not an issue in the Winter... we dress for warmth! The BIGGEST thing around our U.P. area is "employment".... or the lack of it, I should say. So much is "Seasonal", which most people who have never lived here find difficult. We're a hearty bunch... and we do believe in helping out our neighbors! It's a great place to live (not for everyone, mind you), but if you want to live a 'slower-paced life' you'll like us!

Unread 11-07-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeboppin' View Post
Well.... we dress in 'layers' up here! You can always take stuff off if you get too warm, but you'll start putting 'em back on again as the day wears on!!! If you're near the Big Lakes, it's windy. Lots of us do use our snow-machines to get around (our smaller towns), or on Mackinac Island. "Fashion" is not an issue in the Winter... we dress for warmth! The BIGGEST thing around our U.P. area is "employment".... or the lack of it, I should say. So much is "Seasonal", which most people who have never lived here find difficult. We're a hearty bunch... and we do believe in helping out our neighbors! It's a great place to live (not for everyone, mind you), but if you want to live a 'slower-paced life' you'll like us!
Not so much in Marquette,including unemployment , we need skilled workers.We are not so much tourist orientated . Home building is strong always, no recession here.
Other than Marquette, you are about right for rural UP.

Unread 05-30-2013, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 595 times
I live in Kalamazoo Mi and my wife and I are planning on saving money for a house this way we dont have a mortgage. My parents have a place in Iron River with some property, it is so peaceful and not to mention beautiful. My wife already told me she cant do anything without city water so that would put us in Iron River or Caspian. The main reason for this post is to see what kind of jobs (factories) are in the area. The reason for the move is so that my wife wont have to work and i can take care of everything.

Unread 05-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stabilizer View Post
I live in Kalamazoo Mi and my wife and I are planning on saving money for a house this way we dont have a mortgage. My parents have a place in Iron River with some property, it is so peaceful and not to mention beautiful. My wife already told me she cant do anything without city water so that would put us in Iron River or Caspian. The main reason for this post is to see what kind of jobs (factories) are in the area. The reason for the move is so that my wife wont have to work and i can take care of everything.
Those that decide to move to the U P are for the most part interested in the outdoors and the accompanying lifestyle. The bigger issue is living off the grid ( many do ), and not so much city water or having a well and septic. Chances are you will get better quality water when you have your own control., as most cities treat their water with chemicals in order to cut down on iron content and bacteria. You will save money in the long run living "just outside the City Limits" in utility cost as well as taxes.
Regarding jobs , there are two regions in the UP that are thriving big time. First and most contemporary is Marquette County.We are growing fast, construction is a major employer, along with the Mines ( we now have the Rio Tinto Nickle mine hiring ).The Medical Complex is doubling in size due to a buy-out by the Duke Group. We are the largest county in Michigan and have the most people in the U P.
The other area is along the Wisconsin border. Marionette /Menominee, area is booming with the ship building jobs some of this over flow spills over into Iron Mtn. and other border cities.
Up here it really helps if you have a skill, there is a real shortage of tradespeople..Marquette is home to NMU University. 10 thousands students demand all sorts of things that create jobs, enrollment is growing.
Check out these two hot areas. I would say the job picture in the Iron Wood area is not so good, this also goes for a lot of the real remote, small population Counties.....Give Marquette a look, it will be your first choice once you see it !!

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM

164 posts, read 104,455 times
Having spent 5 years at Michigan Tech, I am partial to Houghton/Hancock and easy access to all water and scenery to the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan