U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 7,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon View Post
Liberal community with a suck-wad liberal newspaper
I've lived here for two years now and think the paper is one of the few good things here, but then I am a liberal. The conservative element is larger than the liberal one, as in Michigan as whole. The trouble with this state is not our present governor but the previous one, John Engler, who gutted the public sector for his big business buddies (who still can't get enough of the pie).
TC is a tourist town, big and fun in summer but dead the rest of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 11:01 PM

2,067 posts, read 5,612,754 times
The Record Eagle is called the Wretched Eagle for very good reasons. LOL

Old 03-26-2007, 03:37 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,290,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMom View Post

I understand from reading some other posts that there are pockets of liberals in TC, and that the arts are alive and well ... how about liberal churches? I currently attend one that teaches a miriad of religions ... anything like that there?

Thank you so much for any feedback. ZM
I've lived there --- if you're looking for liberals, there's plenty in the town itself, but if you're looking to get away from them then you need to live out in the rural areas or smaller towns in the area.

The schools are decent, but the winters are a lot slower than the summers -- things don't shut down entirely because of winter sports but tourism has the roads jammed in the summer and a lot more going on.

Old 04-08-2007, 11:07 PM

31 posts, read 122,867 times
I am a native of TC and I do miss it a lot. I am a recent college grad and am trying to find a place to move to, but would not go to TC again. What every has said is completely true! Housing can cost 200,000 to 300,000 and you get paid 8.00 an hour. Renting anything in town is crazy. When I was there about three years ago I had to get someone to move in with me and I was making 35,000 a year! If your heart is set on Traverse City move to the surrounding areas like Kingsley or Fife Lake. They are only a half-an hour to twenty minute drive and a lot cheaper.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:45 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,565,488 times
TC in-season: waaaay too much traffic.

... being a hermit on the Leelenau would be great.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:05 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,612,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
TC in-season: waaaay too much traffic.

... being a hermit on the Leelenau would be great.

What I find funny, is that the people who tend to complain about the traffic in the summer tend to be visitors from Detroit, Chicago and other big cities. Not that those of us don't gripe a bit, but I always tell people we don't have a rush hour here, we have a rush five minutes. Honestly..... About the only time the traffic is going to get really bad in the summer is after the parades, fireworks and air shows.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 26,710 times
Default Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other

I'm quite familiar with the DP and with TC. To move from one to the other would be like swapping homes with your next-door neighbor. To get the change that you're looking for, you'll need to move farther south, whether it's in MI or WI. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,852 times
Default Hear-hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon View Post
Oh yeh, people here do not know how to drive. Thankfully, they don't have far to drive to the local hospital.
You are not kidding - drivers are worse than peak hour Detroit!

When you get a green light, wait for the next two cars to shoot their red light!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 18,077 times
Thumbs up Bullish on TC

Wow! Clearly most of you people need to spend a little less time punching keys on your computer, and a little more time outside in Traverse City getting some exercise and working out some aggression! (a few could benefit from a spelling lesson as well...) My wife and I purchased a business on Front street 5 years ago, and I must say things look brighter for TC every year. The downtown is more vital than ever--few empty spaces exist for very long--and I hear of new development projects constantly. (have you peeked at the progress on the old state hospital lately?--beautiful!--we have considered buying a condo there!). More restaurants of better quality are thriving (Amical and Stella top my list...) and the shopping downtown is better than any other town of the same size! TC is also the center of a huge recreational area, with wineries on Leelanau and Mission peninsulas (Mawby, Black Star Farms), freshwater EVERYWHERE for every skill level (from swimming to kayaking to sailing), a new (and quite successful) film festival in August, morel hunting in the spring, skiing in winter (have you taken your kids to Boyne lately? --tons of new investment up there, including an indoor water park!) We think TC is a good investment, and apparently quite a few businesses agree with us! I promise you, in 5 years, the threads will be complaining about how "all these businesses came in and took over our beloved little town!"

I encourage you to investigate TC more--I believe you will find a tolerant, beautiful town with great potential for growth! (and if you want to move outside TC to avoid liberals (or anyone else), I say good riddance!)

Old 07-02-2007, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 18,077 times
Default Church on 37

To answer your original question, there is a Unitarian Universalist church on the east side of 37 on Mission peninsula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan