U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

7,268 posts, read 11,110,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_ricker View Post
Hi all,
I am new to the Atlanta area and have been hearing the oddest sounds for a while now, it sounds kinda like thunder and is a very deep thud. its almost as im feeling it more than hearing it.

its definitely not thunder. it sounds more like an explosion. is there mining or something in the area?

someones got to know, atleast be hearing it too. thanks in advance!
Looking on a map of where Atlanta is, I have to think it's bombing at Camp Grayling Military Base. Otherwise, are they doing any fracking in your area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM

7,962 posts, read 9,848,131 times
Could be fracking.

Or even something more normal. Even the normal "blub, blub" of a Lufkin well pump can resonate at a very low frequency so miles away it's more of a thump.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:57 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,825,487 times
I remember reading in a novel that there is a subsonic communicaiton system for submarines that works on miles and miles of cables buried in Michigan. It sends out subsonic vibrations that cna be picked up by submarines anywhere inteh world and decoded. I was told that system really exists. I never verified it though. Maybe you are hearing Obama asking for a ride.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 2,940,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Daniel, it's possible you are right, however there is a bigger story out there.
Mysterious Booms, Strange Noises In The Sky Being Heard All Over The World? | Pakalert Press

More Strange Booms Now In Western Michigan - May 27, 2012 - YouTube

Earthfiles.com Environment | Updated with boom audio Part 2:* Boom Phenomenon in Several States and Canada
There is lots more info out there on the web.
When I heard the boom in my area, I was concerned enough to look outside for an explanation.

I have heard these stories on the news. I would only be guessing, but sonic booms are usually the culprit in these cases. The real question is what is causing the sonic boom??? Military test craft? meteroites??? or something more alien? I kinda doubt the micro-quake explantion though, but again Im only guessing anyway. Im sure your too far from Grayling for that to be an explanation for you. I hope you find out, im sure its unerving to not know why your hearing them.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:18 PM

5,663 posts, read 2,710,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I have heard these stories on the news. I would only be guessing, but sonic booms are usually the culprit in these cases. The real question is what is causing the sonic boom??? Military test craft? meteroites??? or something more alien? I kinda doubt the micro-quake explantion though, but again Im only guessing anyway. Im sure your too far from Grayling for that to be an explanation for you. I hope you find out, im sure its unerving to not know why your hearing them.
Not really unnerving, but abnormal - it was relatively quiet, but oddly low in frequency and almost felt. For some people the noises seem to be much louder and upsetting to them - especially if their houses vibrate. This incident was the only one in my experience so far, but I had been hearing and reading about the experiences of other people.
Yeah, I looked outside thinking I might see smoke somewhere - but nothing.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,825,487 times
It is the Incas (Maya?) preparing for December 21.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM

5,971 posts, read 4,623,671 times
You're probably hearing/feeling Mark 82 500-pound bombs being dropped at Range 40 at Camp Grayling as part of their Northern Strike 2012 joint Air National Guard two-week training exercise.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
Default The intolerable drone of gas well compressors

If it's a continuous low pulsing sound--been described as sounding like a train that never quite arrives, and never leaves--it's the nat. gas well compressors that pincushion the area. Mostly on leased state land--of which there is an abundance in Montmorency County . The oil i& gas companies thumb their nose at local residents and officials and keep installing these monstrosities sometimes within a couple hundred feet of a rural residence. It's like trying to sleep on a subwoofer.

If it's NOT a continuous drone--then at least you'll know what it is, when you do hear it

Old 08-06-2013, 08:08 AM

1,628 posts, read 1,596,418 times
Atlanta, MI

Old 08-10-2013, 01:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 4,044,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I remember reading in a novel that there is a subsonic communicaiton system for submarines that works on miles and miles of cables buried in Michigan. It sends out subsonic vibrations that cna be picked up by submarines anywhere inteh world and decoded. I was told that system really exists. I never verified it though. Maybe you are hearing Obama asking for a ride.
Yes, there is such a system: it is called ELF- Extremely Low Frequency. At least one of the transmitters was located at K. I. Sawyer A.F.B. in the U.P. Another is located somewhere in Wisconsin, not likely either is the culprit here. It is remotely possible that you are hearing something from Grayling, but tht is a long distance from Altanta. Having spent 50-something summers in Hillman, Alpena, and Atlanta, I would say more likely you are hearing sonic booms from aircraft practicing out of Phelps Collins in Alpena.

Did you hear any today around noon? I am not in Montmorency county today, but if you did I would say you were hearing a fly-over for the V-J parade in Hillman.

BTW, Atlanta was named by a gentleman who said the sandy soil and the pines trees reminded him of Atlanta, GA. I always thought Georgia was known for its red clay rather than sand, but that is how the story goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan