Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM

43 posts, read 100,896 times

Advertisements

Have any of you went to one of these offices? I have been looking for a job and decided to go to the office and see what resources they had to offer. I asked to see a worker and the front desk lady siad I could not see a worker. She said I could use a computer and do a resume and look for a job on their talent bank. All of which I could do at home or library. She offered a class on Job success for the low rate of 95$. She also said they could critique my resume. So for chitts and giggles asked to do that.

That consisted of her not getting out of her chair at all. Looking at my resume for 30 seconds and saying,"I don't see anything wrong with it."

Really?
How much tax money do we waste on that program?

On a good note, I was able to help someone actually find an employee while I was in there. This woman came in who could not speak English very well and front desk lady did not understand what she wanted and was really short. So I helped her with the online stuff and got her an employee that day. Sadly it was not me Really enjoyed helping her though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
It's modern day snake oil. Whenever someone feels a strong need for something--to get a job--or to attract women--it's going to be easy to sell content-less advice to them.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:41 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
I've found them to be pretty much useless, however, sometimes when a big well known company is hiring multiple positions a jobseeker must go through them. People on Mi UI also have to go there and register and submit their resumes so they do serve some purpose.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 26,376 times
Oh good I'm not the only one who realizes what a waste of time and money this is!

I say they simply do away with all the physical locations, because they are USELESS. I went into the one in my area and was told the exact same thing. I have a computer at home that I can do that stuff on... and if I didn't I would just use the library. They actually do NOTHING to help you find a job.

The only part of the program that is of any use whatsoever is the Michigan Talent Bank online. It has an EXCELLENT resume builder and is a good place to post your resume as many employers do check there often when looking for new hires.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM

161 posts, read 278,436 times
Well the one here offered online classes for my special needs brother when he was studying to get his GED. Not sure what other services like that they may offer. Not defending them, just stating they may actually serve SOME purpose.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM

43 posts, read 100,896 times
Ok, so it was not all in my head. They really are worthless. Carry on...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
The main benefit of the state's employment centers is that they allows you to print, copy and fax as much work information as you like for free (and you receive a fair amount of computer time to search/apply for jobs online).

Fact of the matter is a lot of job seekers aren't fortunate enough to have the resources to do all of that at home, or pay for it at the library (IF the library still offer these resources).

If anything's useless, it's the state's Talent Bank itself. It's just another job board, like Indeed or CareerBuilder..

Last edited by 313Weather; 07-24-2012 at 06:10 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Years ago when I was laid off unemployment made you go to the office to set up the resume. I was peeved. I've owned a computer since 1994. It was a waste of gas going into the office to set up a resume on their website and then sit around for a couple of hours to have someone go over it. They offered some suggestions and then I had go back on the computer to make corrections. About two days later I came down with a nasty cold. Probably caught it from the keyboard that every soul that walked in used. The second time I got laid off they said it could be done from home. I was thrilled. So to answer your question, I didnt find the experience to be worthwhile.

ETA: Oh ya and I just remembered this. The first time I got laid off they randomly selected people to come in and be coached on how to interview. I was like WTH? It was a 4 hour session. All of us there were wondering how we got so lucky in being selected. If you didnt go, you unemployment was cut off. The woman hosting the group was extremely rude. We were to talk about our skills, why we lost our jobs (like it was our fault) and so on. One guy had been in a horrible car accident. He came in with a back brace and a neck collar. He was sweating because he was in so much pain. He was afraid to lose his unemployment so he came in for the session. The woman hosting it took one look at him and said he obviously wasn't able to work and she had to report it. Poor guy. She also made him stay the whole time. Longest 4 hours of my life and again a complete waste of time. Don't know if they still do that or not.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 AM

902 posts, read 1,925,668 times
Some companies hire employee's off the Michigan Works website , some companies now hire employment agencies to find possible employee's off the Michigan Works site . My wife (out of work since Feb. ) got a call Monday from an agency that read her resume on the site and has a interview today at that agency . They have a company thats interested in her . The gal at the agency said its no charge to my wife if she gets the job , and also went on to say that a person should never have to pay to get a job especially with the qualified people that don't have a job are many . I believe the company thats interested will pay any fee's and its not a complicated job my wife is after , intake claims for insurance . I hear some companies have done away with their Human Resources dept . and hire agencies to weed out apps

Old 07-25-2012, 05:52 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,600,730 times
I will say that I think the Talent Bank website is a good job board and seems to have jobs that you won't find posted anywhere else. My fiancee found, applied for, and got a job through the talent bank with a good, small company and I couldn't find the job posted on any of the other job boards. It seems to have a lot less crap to sort through and more jobs from small companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan