Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 17,390 times

Advertisements

I don't think a million will move, but I think a large enough number will leave. I know enough people who no longer live in MI. (Some live in OH, IN, TN) My parents will probably be next as Lansing police won't do anything about the drug dealers that have lived and dealed out of for the last 10 years, although they have admitted to them that they are very aware of what has being going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,883,851 times
Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin have drug dealers too. Some people have no perspective. I would love to move back to Michigan and work.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM

133 posts, read 356,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
A million?! There's no way that many people would leave, because there is no way they could all sell their homes and be able to move.

As suydam mentioned, there has already been a negative net domestic migration in Michigan for about a decade, and 2006 was the worst at -65,000. That means 65,000 more people left Michigan than arrived.

How many more people left California last year than arrived? Or the State of Illinois? Or the State of New York? Or Ohio? Or Massachusetts? Or Chicago? I'll leave this here for a little while and then post the answers (hint: they were similar or more than Michigan).
And what is New York's population?What is the percentage of 200,000+

Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 PM

262 posts, read 786,289 times
Well I looked at the numbers and what I see was that from 1990 to 1999 there was 199,465 people that moved out(Engler), Then I see from 2000 to 2006 there have been 239,345 people that have moved out(Grandhole). So really all that needs to move out will be 760,655 people and this Governor will have BLOWN AWAY a Million Michigan residents in only six years where it took almost ten years to get almost 200,000 people to leave Damn that Engler
Then who's going to pay all these TAXES your Governor wants?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,060,191 times
Quote:
A million?! There's no way that many people would leave, because there is no way they could all sell their homes and be able to move.

As suydam mentioned, there has already been a negative net domestic migration in Michigan for about a decade, and 2006 was the worst at -65,000. That means 65,000 more people left Michigan than arrived.

How many more people left California last year than arrived? Or the State of Illinois? Or the State of New York? Or Ohio? Or Massachusetts? Or Chicago? I'll leave this here for a little while and then post the answers (hint: they were similar or more than Michigan).
I'm just wondering because I frequently read on this forum and some other places that look something like this:

"I've had it. I'm leaving Michigan for fill in the blank." There's usually a "Thanks Jennifer" in there somewhere too.

Plus, I've seen polls that have indicated that 20 percent of the population plans to leave Michigan in the next three years, and that 70 percent of young people would leave the state if they could.

WILX - HomePage WILX TV 10, Mid-Michigan's Breaking News, Weather and Sports authority serving the Lansing and Jackson area
Survey: Most young people would leave state if they could - Crain's Detroit Business (http://www.crainsdetroit.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/REG/71002004 - broken link)

That's very concerning, and I don't think it's only due to the economy.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 30,125 times
well its going to leave fewer people to pay those new high taxes! myself i will leave at retirement, due to the expense of living in mi. but if that were the only reason i would just move back to ohio where i`am from. its cheaper to live in. no my number one reason for leaving is something michigan cant change, i hate cold weather. the older i get the more i hate it.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 PM

195 posts, read 1,077,954 times
Quote:
Net domestic migration (how many people moved in vs. move out). Negative number means more left than move in, and the percentage of total population.

California: -287,684, -.007
Illinois: -68,661, -.005
New York: -225,766, -.011 (highest percentage I believe)
Ohio: -48,153, -.004
Massachusetts: -49,528, -.009
Chicago Metro Area: -66,074, -.007
Michigan: -65,123, -.006

So New York state lost 3 times the number of people as Michigan, and almost twice the percentage, yet do we hear the doom-n-gloom coming out of New York? Perspective...
HAHA. Magellen, you better go back and look at those figures... You are trying to pull the wool over the eyes...

According to the stats provided at the link you provided, MICHIGAN is the onl state that has lost population....

Old 10-02-2007, 10:19 PM

133 posts, read 356,791 times
The whole message here is being missed,unfortunately.Everyone know's what they did yesterday,but they know not what tommorrow.When people don't know if they have a job from one day to the next,that need's to be a warning sign.All the young people will leave,and the new beginning of the end.Without that resource,it is going to get real bad.These kid's one or two of them,may be the next Bill Gates or Warren Buffet,and with that and them leaving,so does that opportunity.Because of Lansing's close-minded meandering's,it's lack of true visionaries to save the state and her people are lost.The only good thing that will come of this whole situation is all that the Michigan government does is a matter of public record,so they can't go to another state and do the same thing.They will be known as the complete scourge of the Midwest,and not very bright.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,601 times
Some one said "when it turns around" To turn around you need industry to start up, michigan is loosing its people and its industry, to over seas workers, I bought a small chevy car, and how made it? Dawoo of korea. There will be nothing to start up.
China is working on cars that can be sold for 10k and loaded here. The big three is still trying to revive the "New dodge charger with 325 HP eng.] or GMs new camaro with 300 HP. They just are not getting the days of muscle cars and hummers and big suvs are dead, and fuel is not going to go down, we are even getting used to 3$ a gallon gas but it is taking a big bite out of your checks. The avrage man spends 20% of his check for fuel each year. We have an admin. that is bascily a chimp at the wheel of our economy, more concerned with this fake war than with the people in our nation.
and we will not get any change for at least a year.
Michigan come back? There will be nothing to come back for!!!
What has michigan got that will revive it? cheap labor, not on your life, cheap land and taxes, dont even joke, nothing at all. nothing that the southern states or over seas can not do at a fraction of the cost of what michigan can, and people say michigan has coast line, so what, 90% of the people who bought that land was the workers from southern michgan and northern ohio indiana, The up has a lot of coat line and it never sold very hot. to far north and nothing going on there.
I also bet 10$ to any one that if the people who are saying that they are going to build that out door rec park in grayling have a brain in their head they will be doing a second look at the numbers, I have seen so many things go south in the last 2 months, even the perpetual optimists among us have steped back and taken a second look around.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:48 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,795,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Icy River Vagabond View Post
HAHA. Magellen, you better go back and look at those figures... You are trying to pull the wool over the eyes...

According to the stats provided at the link you provided, MICHIGAN is the onl state that has lost population....
Perhaps you should go back and look at the figures. I was referring directly to net domestic migration. No wool, cotton, polyester or any other fabric. If you need a definition of net domestic migration, just let me know and I'll be happy to explain. It's generally lost on a lot of people.

Yes, Michigan had lost population of .1% in 2006, or about 5190 people (not millions), and the other states gained about .1% - .5%, a barely perceptible difference. It's all stagnant growth, but yet you don't hear that much about New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts and other states losing people by the tens and hundreds of thousands.

Haha! If I wanted to pull the wool over people, don't you think I would have left off the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan