Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 09:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

What happened: The state income tax rate was increased from 3.9% to 4.35%.

By the numbers: What the taxes will cost you (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/NEWS06/710020326&imw=Y - broken link)

Last edited by JD59; 10-02-2007 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Fox News Out-of-Date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:50 PM

262 posts, read 788,182 times
John it shouldn't say hurt this will kill a lot of people if they can't move. I wonder why they isn't a out cry for Impeaching Grandhole. I think people figure screw it. why try and fire it.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM

133 posts, read 357,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
John it shouldn't say hurt this will kill a lot of people if they can't move. I wonder why they isn't a out cry for Impeaching Grandhole. I think people figure screw it. why try and fire it.
Not just her,All of them need to be fired.I implore the people of Michigan to read the Declaration of Independence,It should also apply to states.This Government in lansing has to go.A cry from the people must be heard,and,A new bell should ring.The leader's in lansing should answer for what they have done,and will continue to do.Stop with the Dem's and Republican's alike,Vote for the independent's.For the people,turn the base around people.You are on a very slippery slope,and there is no bottom to it.The political ideologie's must be put away,it is now a survival issue for the state,If no one stand's now,i promise,you will have nothing but regret,and empty tommorrow's.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:09 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIhome View Post
Not just her,All of them need to be fired.I implore the people of Michigan to read the Declaration of Independence,It should also apply to states.This Government in lansing has to go.A cry from the people must be heard,and,A new bell should ring.The leader's in lansing should answer for what they have done,and will continue to do.Stop with the Dem's and Republican's alike,Vote for the independent's.For the people,turn the base around people.You are on a very slippery slope,and there is no bottom to it.The political ideologie's must be put away,it is now a survival issue for the state,If no one stand's now,i promise,you will have nothing but regret,and empty tommorrow's.
What would you propose fixing then? I agree that lots of folks in Lansing should be nervous at the next election, it didn't matter if they voted no on the budget.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:04 AM

133 posts, read 357,529 times
everything,not just one certain thing.From the schools to the taxes to the way business is conducted,and done.have the businesses become more competitive,open the field to more business.Lower the taxes,i just can't buy their notion that a higher tax will draw in more people and companies,stupid.Use a base model of a tax free corporate state situation,like they have in the Southwest,and get rid of the personal income tax.Either the government there work's full time like it's citizen's,or have the people vote to cut their pay and hour's,after all a full time legislature there really isn't working,is it?This is just a start to return Michigan to a better standard than that of it being another louisianna.But then again most people are scared of change,but i don't think they have much of a choice anymore.This is all rediculous the elected official's have to go,period,no compromising it.apparentley no one has concieved the notion that both partie's have had power in lansing,and no one there is better off.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,611 times
Jenny has 4 more years left. Michigan will go further down before going up. I have a sister in michigan that is despratly trying to sell as she is working in georgia,and does not want to keep her home in michigan.
She has only had offers of land contracts on a 130k home, 5k down.blablabla.
the people that were looking said that they were going to wait with all that is going on in the usa and michigan.
I told here I did not see her getting 130 out of her home, It is not a matter of value.
When she told a local real estate agent in GA what she had for what price he said, I will buy it where is it? The min, she said MI, he said, Oh, never mind, if it were any state but michigan.
I predict that there will be a vast rash of jewish lightning [5gallon can of gas and a match] that will hit many homes in michigan.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What happened: The state income tax rate was increased from 3.9% to 4.35%.

By the numbers: What the taxes will cost you (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071002/NEWS06/710020326&imw=Y - broken link)
I read the article and it didn't say how much it would cost. After the increased income tax section, it says "How much it will cost you:" and then it's blank.

Then I read these and I don't use any of these:

SERVICES TAX

What happened: The state's 6% sales tax was expanded to about 60 services.

How much it will raise:

$613.8 million

Takes effect: Dec. 1

What it will cost you:

Tanning

Now: 10 visits for $34.95 to $65

After Dec 1: 10 visits for $37.04 to $68.90

Party planning services

Now: $1,500 flat fee up to $10,000

After Dec. 1: $1,590 to $10,600

Wedding chapel rental

Now: $199 to $529

After Dec. 1: $210.94 to $560.74

Ski lift tickets

Now: $28 to $57

After Dec. 1: $29.68 to $60.42

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is. I see a couple of bucks more for tanning services and wedding chapel rentals, lol! Perhaps someone can lay it out in 6th grade language.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:47 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Default Magellan - Here's The Problem

You may not use any of the services mentioned, but from a macroeconomic standpoint - a lot of people do. Therefore, as fewer people use the services due to increased costs, in aggregate, people lose jobs who perform these services. Also on the list of services is payroll preparation. Assuming you work, if the cost of payroll preparation goes up, then the business paying you pays more than they did and may have to cut something else - people for example. It is not logical to say "I don't ski - so what's the big deal?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I read the article and it didn't say how much it would cost. After the increased income tax section, it says "How much it will cost you:" and then it's blank.

Then I read these and I don't use any of these:

SERVICES TAX

What happened: The state's 6% sales tax was expanded to about 60 services.

How much it will raise:

$613.8 million

Takes effect: Dec. 1

What it will cost you:

Tanning

Now: 10 visits for $34.95 to $65

After Dec 1: 10 visits for $37.04 to $68.90

Party planning services

Now: $1,500 flat fee up to $10,000

After Dec. 1: $1,590 to $10,600

Wedding chapel rental

Now: $199 to $529

After Dec. 1: $210.94 to $560.74

Ski lift tickets

Now: $28 to $57

After Dec. 1: $29.68 to $60.42

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is. I see a couple of bucks more for tanning services and wedding chapel rentals, lol! Perhaps someone can lay it out in 6th grade language.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
You may not use any of the services mentioned, but from a macroeconomic standpoint - a lot of people do. Therefore, as fewer people use the services due to increased costs, in aggregate, people lose jobs who perform these services. Also on the list of services is payroll preparation. Assuming you work, if the cost of payroll preparation goes up, then the business paying you pays more than they did and may have to cut something else - people for example. It is not logical to say "I don't ski - so what's the big deal?"
Well it is logical, because very few people ski, or use any of these services on a regular basis. Payroll preparation services I assume are only for employers who outsource their payroll, and not do it in house. The example they give for the ski lift ticket says it will go from $28 to $29.38. That is not enough, macro-economically, to greatly affect demand for the service. In fact, I'd guess it won't affect demand at all. Same with wedding chapels. Most people, for the 1 or 2 times they will use that service in their lifetimes, will easily digest the extra 6% tax. I'm sure that's why they chose those services, because they are seldom used (tanning salons is another).

Don't get me wrong, I don't like parting with my money for more taxes. But this to me is a non-story. And the story still doesn't say how much the income tax will cost the average taxpayer.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:20 AM

262 posts, read 788,182 times
You don't see this Service Tax affecting you well when you need a roof repair or interior plaster or drywall repairs or painting and the painter says well Mrs your repairs and painting comes to 1,500 dollars and oh and I have to charge you $95.25 for Service Tax your just going to say oh that's just peachy. Or maybe you want the outside of your house painted and the College Painters say it will cost you for your size house $4,500.00 to paint and oh the Serive Tax will be $285.75 so now your paint job is $4,785.75 I know you don't care about that $285.75 and this Tax will show up at the Auto repair shops and the Kitchen remodelers Business the Lawn Service who cuts your grass, the plumber who unplugs your toilet, and the list will go on so you had better start buying those Fix It books cause when it comes times to pay the Service Tax it will come back to the Customers Cause I don't know any business man or woman who is going to eat these Taxes. Wake and smell the coffee cause your dreaming if you think this isn't going to affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan