Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 03:33 AM

603 posts, read 877,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Denver is where it's at. Lots of former Michiganders there, too, so you'll blend in pretty well.

I think there's Michigan transplants all over the country. Here in Seattle there are also a good number. A lot of engineers at Boeing and IT folks at Microsoft used to work for the Big 3. Several faculty members at the University of Washington came from the U of M. There are also many Physicians who went to medical school at U of M, MSU, and Wayne State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 03:41 AM

My family and I left a couple years before the Big 3 collapsed. My dad used to work for one of the automakers and knew that those companies were going down the tubes and that he had little opportunity to advance his career in Michigan. He loves his job in Seattle and earns a much higher salary. I'm glad we got out before things got really bad in Michigan in 2008 and 2009.

I still love Michigan and would maybe like to move back someday, but at this point in my life I'd rather stay in Seattle. There's a lot I miss about Michigan but looking through an objective lens, it really is a poorly-managed state with little to offer. Here in Seattle the quality of life is better, public transportation is readily available, plenty of high-paying jobs are available, and the metro region as a whole is wealthier and growing. Metro Detroit, on the other hand, has been on the decline for a while, and there isn't much hope for the entire metro region to thrive when Detroit is well....Detroit. Nobody finds it desirable to live in a part of the country that's on the decline, with negative media press, and very dangerous once you enter the anchoring city.

That being said, Seattle is a bit too liberal and geographically-isolated to me. Once I am more established in my career I'll consider moving back to metro Detroit. Chicago, Dallas, Houston, and the east coast are also on my radar.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:51 AM

My last post was pretty darn negative. There are things I like about Michigan.

- Childhood memories. Michigan just feels like "home."
- Natural beauty. Outside of Detroit, Flint, and other dying cities the state has immense natural beauty. Several of Detroit's suburbs are also very beautiful.
- Reasonable distance from other cities like Chicago, Toronto, Indianapolis, and Cleveland. Within driving distance of east coast cities.
- Good universities
- Car culture, although I no longer care for the Big 3.
- Rich sports heritage. At least 1 or 2 Detroit teams are competing for a championship every year.
- More conservative, more family values. But not overly-conservative.
- Getting all 4 seasons. I love seeing the seasonal transitions. Autumn feels like autumn should. Halloween and Thanksgiving FEEL like Halloween and Thanksgiving. White Christmases are very common.

That all being said, I feel like metro Chicago provides many of the perks I love about Michigan with the added benefits of being in a well-recognized city.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:41 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I moved here for work.

So did Kirk Gibson & Alan Trammel.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,742,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
That all being said, I feel like metro Chicago provides many of the perks I love about Michigan with the added benefits of being in a well-recognized city.
That largely sums up how I feel.

Chicago has the same climate as Detroit (except a lot more sunshine, which is a huge plus). Chicago has major sports teams and world class museums like Detroit. If I want to participate in outdoor activities, I can always drive into Michigan or Wisconsin. I'm sure Vernors and Faygo are sold in Chicago these days like in Detroit. Chicago has great pizza and hot dogs as well like Detroit. As far as suburbs, every region has "great" suburbs, but not every region has a Chicago.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
I think the key to Detroit is clearing out everything south of I-94 with the exception of parts of Mexican Town, Corktown, the Motown Museum, Woodbridge, Midtown, New Center, Downtown, Eastern Market, Rivertown, Lafayette Towers, Indian Village, and East English Village. Completely raze the rest and move the population north of I-94. Basically, I-94 runs from East to West and a New Detroit should be built along this corridor. In addition, they need to clear the land all around the city airport. The entire city of Highland Park needs to be razed. Gated Communities introduced to Indian Village, East English Village, Sherwood Forest, Boston-Edison, and Rosedale Park. Build the largest sculptured Garden in Detroit, and implement architectural uniformity with buildings lining the radial boulevards. Imagine if all the buildings up and down Gratiot, Grand River, Michigan, Jefferson, Fort, and Woodward were beaux-arts, or Gothic, along with lined trees, street lamps etc. Just an idea.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times
I would not move TO Michigan

Old 10-29-2013, 03:53 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
You point out no reasons, there must not be any, just a lame statement.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Are we suppose to be upset? lol

Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 AM

9 posts, read 57,859 times
Overall, Michigan is a great state. Of course, as with any location, there are problems and complaints about numerous things. Yes, Michigan can have horrible winters and miserable summers, but look at everything that makes up for it. Michigan has the Great Lakes, a great variety of outdoor activities/sports for all seasons, etc. Michigan is in a great location as well. You can drive up north, to Canada, Chicago, etc all in a matter of five hours or so depending on what part of MI you're in. In comparison, states located down south for example (Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi) offer no change in landscape, very hot and unbearable summers, no fresh water, and there's not much you can drive to within five hours like you can do here. It is true that other states may offer better jobs, but that isn't the only thing that you should take into consideration. I am proud to reside in the Great Lake State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan