Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,230 times

Advertisements

Im currently attending community college. Im ready to transfer so I work towards getting my bachelors in marketing. Im considering going to Wayne State or Walsh Business College. I thought about going to Eastern but I grew up in the Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti area and a lot of people I grew up with go there and I want to meet new people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolexoxo92 View Post
Im currently attending community college. Im ready to transfer so I work towards getting my bachelors in marketing. Im considering going to Wayne State or Walsh Business College. I thought about going to Eastern but I grew up in the Ann Arbor/ Ypsilanti area and a lot of people I grew up with go there and I want to meet new people.
I am currently attending Walsh for my MBA. It is a good, rigorous program and employers in Michigan recognize it as a quality school. From what I've heard, the same is true for Wayne. If you are considering relocating outside of Michigan, employers will probably not recognize either school, but they are both solid, certified programs.

I think you want to consider what you are looking for in a program. Walsh is fantastic in terms of flexibility, and offers all of their classes online or in the evening for on the ground classes. It is geared toward working professionals. I also like that many of the instructors come from the business world and have a unique, current perspective on the subject matter. If you are looking for a job they have good relationships with local companies and match a lot of students with internships and careers.

However, there are zero social activities at Walsh outside of professional networking. If meeting people socially is a priority then Wayne is your best bet. They have a large campus, frats/sororities and a lot of student activities. You would get more of the traditional college experience at Wayne.

Both programs are very good and have produced very successful grads. Good luck!

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
You might also want to investigate U of M-Dearborn. They offer quality programs with a more intimate atmosphere than UM Ann Arbor. Downside (?) is that it is entirely a commuter campus, but not much different in that respect than Walsh College.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolexoxo92 View Post
Im currently attending community college. Im ready to transfer so I work towards getting my bachelors in marketing.
Heh heh. What a conundrum--which marketing degree program will make you more marketable?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM

15 posts, read 77,035 times
I would go to walsh college if I had the choice. Wayne State will make you take fluff courses and Walsh will not. If you know marketing is what you want to do then Walsh would be best. A bunch of people I went to OU with transferred to Walsh and are doing quite well.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:09 PM

436 posts, read 755,523 times
How old are you? You will probably meet more young people at Wayne than at Walsh. Also, I think Wayne has much more name recognition than Walsh.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
How old are you? You will probably meet more young people at Wayne than at Walsh. Also, I think Wayne has much more name recognition than Walsh.
Within Michigan they probably have about equal name recognition. Outside of the state they both likely have little to no name recognition.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:41 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
I really am not sure how to distinguish them in terms of the economic value of their business degrees. They're simply just dime-a-dozen schools where you can obtain a generic business degree. They don't carry anything like the cachet of graduating from Harvard or even Michigan.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I really am not sure how to distinguish them in terms of the economic value of their business degrees. They're simply just dime-a-dozen schools where you can obtain a generic business degree. They don't carry anything like the cachet of graduating from Harvard or even Michigan.
Really? They don't carry the cachet of graduating from 2 of the top 5 business schools in the world? What an incredibly insightful post.

Of course Michigan and Harvard are head and shoulders above Wayne and Walsh -- they are both extremely selective and cost well into the six figures to graduate from. But not everyone needs or wants to get a business degree from the most elite institutions. Some people just want a solid, accredited and affordable program that will aid them in getting a good job or helping advance their career. Wayne and Walsh both achieve that. If you have aspirations of becoming a CEO or senior-level executive of a Fortune 500 company, then yes, you had better go to an Ivy, Michigan or Stanford. Otherwise, a BA and/or MBA from Wayne, Walsh, Central, UM-Dearborn, etc. are perfectly fine and will help get you where you need to go.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:21 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
Like ADS said, Wayne has a leg up in terms of social activities, peers and having that college experience. The same recruiters go from Oakland to Walsh to Wayne so my advice would be 1) pick the cheapest school and 2) pick the school that has the college experience you're looking for. You're only going to be in college for two years (assuming you did two at CC) - and you'll have 40 years to look forward to marketing cubicles so make those two years memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan