U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Macao
16,087 posts, read 38,371,059 times
Reputation: 9850

Advertisements

How is the town of New Baltimore, MI?

Is there a small downtown with some stores and such? What are people's general impressions of New Baltimore, MI? How is it near the Lake? Much public access? Walkable from the Lake to the downtown - i.e. sidewalks, etc.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:02 AM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,848,145 times
Reputation: 1440
It's a three block walk from the water to downtown. It has a downtown area (2-4 block stretch at the corner of Washington/Green) but isn't a "desintation" downtown. Marine City or St. Clair have better downtowns along the water. New Baltimore is easier access to 94/Detroit so it saves an extra 15-20 minutes on the other two towns - so is slightly more popular. Burke Park downtown is a nice place to come to be on the water/swim etc.

Last edited by belleislerunner; 09-05-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,087 posts, read 38,371,059 times
Reputation: 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Burke Park downtown is a nice place to come to be on the water/swim etc.
Burke Park? Where is that? I tried to google search it, but it gives me a location over by Dowagiac/Kalamazoo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,848,145 times
Reputation: 1440
http://www.cityofnewbaltimore.org/parkinformation.asp
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,087 posts, read 38,371,059 times
Reputation: 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
It's a three block walk from the water to downtown. It has a downtown area (2-4 block stretch at the corner of Washington/Green) but isn't a "desintation" downtown. Marine City or St. Clair have better downtowns along the water. New Baltimore is easier access to 94/Detroit so it saves an extra 15-20 minutes on the other two towns - so is slightly more popular. Burke Park downtown is a nice place to come to be on the water/swim etc.
I looked into Marine City and St. Clair a bit.

Unfortunately they are in a real toxic place with all the Sarnia/Ontario factories/pollution pouring that stuff into the St. Clair River. Real unfortunate, it seems like they'd have been real nice places otherwise.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
 
1,648 posts, read 2,848,145 times
Reputation: 1440
Have you been to Marine City or St Clair? Neither of those places are toxic. St Clair has a boardwalk (actually the world's largest freshwater boardwalk) that you can dive/swim off directly into the river. You can swim right off the park in Marine City as well. I was swimming in St Clair Saturday before going to the Dally in the Alley and I can assure you I'm not glowing... yet =) Now is the best time as often the water is warmer than the air.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Macao
16,087 posts, read 38,371,059 times
Reputation: 9850
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Have you been to Marine City or St Clair? Neither of those places are toxic. St Clair has a boardwalk (actually the world's largest freshwater boardwalk) that you can dive/swim off directly into the river. You can swim right off the park in Marine City as well. I was swimming in St Clair Saturday before going to the Dally in the Alley and I can assure you I'm not glowing... yet =) Now is the best time as often the water is warmer than the air.
Canada's Chemical Valley is just up the river. That entire region has the highest cancer rates in all of Canada. On the Michigan side, it's equally effected. Marine City is in a huge cancer cluster.

Cancer is much higher there than other places. There have been a handful of CHILD cancer cases even. Mostly I've read the petrochemical factory and a lot of mercury and such is in the water supply in that area. Kidney cancer for the kids, which I assume its from the chemicals in the water supply.

On the upside, I have been to Marine City, and thought it was a really pleasant looking place. I probably drove through St. Clair, as it doesn't have an impression on me, but heard good things about it online. I liked that entire area, just not the cancer cluster/ chemical valley part from across the river.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:15 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top