Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times

Advertisements

Well, the last 3 posts, is certainly making me think of Lansing once again. It has the ingredients, even if sorely lacking in it's current state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,965 times
Default RE: This Topic

I sure hope I'm not too late! I just saw this forum and needed to respond pronto!

I was born in Lansing and lived in Jackson for the first eight years of my life (2005 -- mid 2014). Obviously, I would say that Jackson is a contender for a major city in Michigan, not just because of nostalgic memories. It does have a lot of history to it, and it seems a pity that its population is what it is today. The downtown has undergone some major revitalization. Uncovering the Grand River and making a riverwalk took place, Michigan Ave and Louis Glick Hwy have both become two way streets (Michigan Ave went east and Louis Glick Hwy went west when I lived there). The downtown area has become a lot nicer as well. Hinkley Bakery (voted best donut in the state several years in a row), is another town icon. When the old Avalon Hotel burned down (the thing was a dump anyway; it needed to go one way or another), they put in a Courtyard and a TownePlace Suites, two very nice, higher-end hotels. They've also done a really good job repurposing old businesses in Jackson Crossing. As old businesses have faded out, newer and nicer ones have come in to take their place (HobbyLobby took the place of Sears and Dunham's Sports took the place of Toys-R-Us). In addition to all this, I-94 is being widened through town. I'd say that Jackson has more infrastructure and better infrastructure than when I lived there. But still people are moving away and it keeps losing population. This baffles me.

Another city I think is a contender is Dearborn. There's a lot of history here and history that is important the world around. Henry Ford was the primary spearheader of the automobile era, and his legacy is important. The city itself is quaint, and the Henry Ford Museum adds an attraction that draws people in.

Though none of these next cities are "major" I think they could go on the list because they have a lot of charm. Downtown Clare (north of Mt. Pleasant and NW of Midland) has a lot of charm, and Cops n Donuts makes it popular.

Mackinaw City, though small is famous. Its location by the well known Mackinac Bridge, and situated right on the water makes it feel like a small beach town (almost like Michigan's Santa Monica).

Michigan has a lot of neat places in it, and there is a lot of variance in which is the best. But I think that there isn't a best place. The best place is different for each person.

Old 02-09-2023, 07:20 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,356,279 times
1 Marquette
2. Wyandotte
3. Marshal
4. Petosky
5. Traverse City
6 Ann Arbor
7 Ferndale

8. Charlevoix
8. Gaylord
9. Royal Oak
10. Rochester

Next week I may think of a very different list. There are a lot of very nice cities, a lot of fun cities, a lot of cool cities. Which are best? Depends on the mood I am in and where I have been most recently.

Old 02-13-2023, 01:27 PM

110 posts, read 168,628 times
Quote:
1 Marquette
2. Wyandotte
3. Marshal
4. Petosky
5. Traverse City
6 Ann Arbor
7 Ferndale

8. Charlevoix
8. Gaylord
9. Royal Oak
10. Rochester
I've been to five of those, and I'd be quite happy to go back. Which makes me think I should check out the other five, too.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:53 PM

991 posts, read 1,218,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I'm dying to get up to Bay City to do some exploring. I've heard Saginaw has some Victorians as well.
Visit Harbor Springs for a lovely Victorian houses all over town and of course if you walk East on Beach Drive, from downtown, you’ll pass lovely Summer cottages. There’s also YouTube videos

Also also the enclave of Bay View (Petoskey) has lovely Victorian Summer cottages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan