Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or NO on Proposal 1 and 6
Proposal 1... Yes 4 12.90%
Proposal 1... No 3 9.68%
Proposal 6... Yes 2 6.45%
Proposal 6... No 22 70.97%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 04:37 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times

Advertisements

I actually kind of like 5. I don't think it's good legislation and I know it's short-sighted, but one of my biggest fears as a MI resident is seeing an increase in the state income tax, and this will make it nearly impossible for them to do this.

Prop 1- I'll flip a coin. Don't care either way.
Prop 2- Yes, only because I'm a union member, though.
Prop 3- @#$@ no. Alternative energy is great, but not the way they want it.
Prop 4- No. Too obviously geared to one special interest group.
Prop 5- Yes. See above.
Prop 6. Flip a coin again. Probably no, however, seeing how Maroun (the Montgomery Burns of Detroit, it seems) will make out on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Were exactly will this bridge be built???
The bridge will land just north of Zug. For the plaza, you're pretty much looking at between Campbell and South Post St. And between West Jefferson and the Norfolk Southern tracks that are just east of West Fort.

This is the only one that will be built. There is no way in hell Windsor is going to allow Matty his bridge, and the Canadian Gov WILL make this happen, regardless of whatever vote gets cast.

The bright side of the tolls, are it's everyone who crosses pays it for you, not just Michiganders. So wheather it's people from down south, east, or west using it, it gets paid.
Heck, I assume even us Canucks will be paying ourselves back! lol

Old 10-28-2012, 01:17 PM

21,119 posts, read 19,703,590 times
A question for those of you in favor of the state's bridge:

What will happen to the Ambassador Bridge after the new one is built?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:46 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Nothing. It'll just be a secondary bridge. Plus Matty still owns it, so it's not like anyone else has any control over what would happen to it.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Nothing. It'll just be a secondary bridge. Plus Matty still owns it, so it's not like anyone else has any control over what would happen to it.
Oh? Why wouldn't he just walk off and leave it? And you mean to tell me we will have to pay for customs at 2 bridges? What is the purpose of building a new bridge if the old one will still be used?

Does not compute.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Oh? Why wouldn't he just walk off and leave it? And you mean to tell me we will have to pay for customs at 2 bridges? What is the purpose of building a new bridge if the old one will still be used?

Does not compute.
It'll be just like the tunnel; providing an alternate route for those crossing the border. For some people, mostly those in Windsor, it'd still be pretty convenient to use the Ambassador bridge as opposed to driving down to the 2nd bridge.

But the 2nd bridge's main use is for freight traffic. I'd expect very few trucks to continue to cross using the Ambassador bridge considering how narrow it is and not being directly connected to a freeway on the Canadian side.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM

So with the tolls being divided between the old and new bridges, will either one be able to be maintained properly? Will the new one have enough toll revenue to pay off the Canadians? Will the old one have enough toll revenue for Maroun to justify keeping it open and maintained? Or will they both just raise tolls to cover the shortfall (in other words, the consumer loses)?

Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Does not compute.
The whole point is to have two bridges instead of one. It doesn't make sense for an international border in a fairly major city to only have one bridge.

There are two bridges across the border at Niagara Falls, which is basically podunkville.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 15,753 times
Default No on 6

Matty Moroun is doing the same thing that ferry companies were doing back in the early 1900s to prevent the Ambassador bridge being built. Ambassador Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM

164 posts, read 375,450 times
Man I wish I lived in Detroit and could vote against Matty Moroun. This guy is not some poor small business owner getting trampled on by the government. He is just one rich and greedy SOB that wants to continue to hold the Detroit border crossing hostage and collect the ransom (toll revenue). Wake up! Capitalism only works when there is competition. What is Matty Moroun afraid of? Must be a lot at stake for him, since he spent over $30M to try to get this amendment passed. If Matty Moroun wins Prop 6., you can kiss better relations with Canada goodbye and international trade in the region will suffer.

On another note, no roads should ever be owned by private individuals or companies. They never act in the public's best interest. They usually ask for 99 year lease terms and conditions to limit competition (new roads to be built nearby, etc.). Heck, why don't they add an amendment that no public international crossing can ever be owned by private individuals / businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan