Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 AM
YAZ

7,700 posts, read 14,039,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Baldwin is one the the more desirable areas to draw a bear tag.
I've heard that.

But it's my understanding that they're not issuing many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,253,282 times
DNR - 2012 Bear License Quotas

YAZ.......here is some stats for you.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,273,501 times
We own a smallish apartment building that is a quarter mile from the Michigan state line in Toledo, Ohio. Toledo's economy is very similar to that of most of SE Michigan, due to its heavy reliance on the domestic automotive industry and high unemployment due to manufacturing jobs fleeing the area over the past couple of decades. Our building is nice and in what was a decent neighborhood until the recession caused an uptick in petty crime and the overall increase in the drug culture. We are currently trying to sell our building for $60,000 less than we paid for it ten years ago and aren't getting a single bite. We will continue to try to sell it though, because the trend in property values in this area is still nowhere but down, with no recovery in sight. If we hold on to this property, we are faced with a continually declining value combined with no longer being able to find decent tenants with decent jobs. Right now, three of our twelve tenants have their rent paid by parents or grandparents, which is kind of risky but all that we could get.

I realize this could be an apples and oranges scenario since you are talking about an area far north of us, but personally, I would not invest another dime in any part of the Rust Belt again, based on the way things are going right now. If there is a recovery going on, you sure couldn't tell it based on how things are in this area of SE Michigan/NW Ohio.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:24 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
DNR - 2012 Bear License Quotas

YAZ.......here is some stats for you.
Wow.

Drummond Island is the only area with fewer licenses than the Baldwin area.

One way to spark the economy in MI is to promote hunting and fishing.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I would not invest another dime in any part of the Rust Belt again, based on the way things are going right now. If there is a recovery going on, you sure couldn't tell it based on how things are in this area of SE Michigan/NW Ohio.
In 2004, I sold my home in MI (Brighton), for 30% more than I paid for it in 1997.

Now the comps are 50% lower than what I paid for it.

And we're not talking about a depressed area either.

So, folks are in quite a spot.

Do we sell in the near future and take a HUGE hit?

Or do we remain and hope for the best?

We've been looking at some recreational property in NM and MI (summer getaway), and we had to eliminate MI 'cuz of the distance. We'd like to get there in less than a day's drive.

Sux, 'cuz Michigan has a lot of appeal for us.

We're afraid also that IF we had to sell our 2nd property, we'd lose our arse.

How low can it go?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,798,652 times
I don't think you can paint Michigan with one broad brush. Each region is as different as the next. Some rely more heavily on the automotive industry, some rely on tourism, some rely on higher ed (Ann Arbor), some rely on technology and R&D (Oakland County).

To say that there is a "Michigan" market is presumptuous at best. The unemployment rates in Michigan's counties go from 3.5% up to 14%. Home sale prices and appreciation/depreciation vary all over the board.

Take a look at November 2012 real estate sales stats for the State:

http://www.mirealtors.com/content/up...Nov12stats.pdf

Most of the home sale price increases are double digit over last year, and the number of sales have increased double digit percentages over last year. Are there some poor performing markets? Of course.

Can I pull out avg sale price of Detroit of $19,000 and say the sky is falling? Of course I could. Or could I pull out that the average sale price in Sanilac County went from $47,000 to $104,000 in one year? I could do that too.

The overriding factors that affect it all are jobs and income. Some parts of the State have regained all of the jobs lost in the recession, and incomes are growing. Other parts have a long long way to go. Gross Domestic Product for each individual metro area does not really depend on how close or how far it is from the State line (frankly an arbitrary imaginary line in space).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan