U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,516 times
Thanks guys!
Also, what do you think about living in Saginaw Township?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:21 PM

9 posts, read 7,449 times
I would probably choose Saginaw just because my Grandmother grew up there. I would probably do some research and find out how safe Saginaw, Bay City and Midland are (Saginaw's probably the unsafest) and make your decision from there.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM

20,315 posts, read 15,763,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
oops........sorry......

Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM

20,315 posts, read 15,763,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michal34chi View Post
Thanks guys!
Also, what do you think about living in Saginaw Township?
In the township???.......better than the city.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 AM

528 posts, read 401,830 times
The township is fine and actually upscale. Saginaw City is pretty dangerous in a lot of areas, but what's more troubling I think is that the dangerous areas are changing quickly. You move to a safe area and it might not be safe in two years. At least, that's the impression I get.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 PM

90 posts, read 62,683 times
Saginaw Township, in spite of being the furthest from your job, would probably be the best option as far as apartment stock goes. I don't know exactly where, but during my time at the local community college, Delta College, I had several professors that rented in the Township. It can feel a little dingy in certain areas the further East you go, which isn't something that you will find to such a degree in Bay City or Midland. Saginaw does have some night life, although you might want to be choosy about where you find yourself more so than in Bay City. I only say this because it is true that Saginaw has had a succession of clubs that have been shuttered for various infraction, whether violent or otherwise.

That's not to say Saginaw doesn't have a lot to offer, though. You'll find that Saginaw has a more worldly feel. Midland too does, though it's in a slightly different manner. Saginaw, I would say, is more diverse in a more traditional sense, with a mix of people of all social classes and races. Midland is upstanding, though significantly more professional. If you do choose to live in Midland, you'll find that the immigrants there are probably more highly educated than those found in Saginaw when evaluated in general. Bay City on the other hand has relatively few immigrants as it doesn't have the population draw of Saginaw nor the professional climate of Midland.

Saginaw also has a greater variety of retail compared to the other two. As far as restaurants go, the three are probably pretty equal.

If you are seriously considering living in Saginaw, another place aside from the more suburban township to check out as far as living arrangements are concerned would be the area around Old Town. This would increase your total commute time to close to forty minutes, but you would also be incredibly close to a lot of the things that makes Saginaw a great place to live. A good place to start may be the recently renovated Strouse Hamilton Apartment building.

Bay City is, in my opinion, the most pleasant of the three. It's not too dull, and it has a respectable array of amenities. As far as apartments go, I would agree with an earlier poster who claimed that stock is limited. But that's not to say that there aren't some good places to live. I'm from the Bay City area, so I have more insight into this locale than either Midland or Saginaw.

The bar scene in Bay City is excellent, but here too I think you might be best to be a little choosy over what venue you go out to. Midland Street is the premier bar district, and while there are a lot of young people that show up there to have a good time on any given night, there have been quite a few troublemakers stirring things up as of late. I wouldn't call the situation bad, but it's just something to keep in mind if you're out hitting the bars.

In relation to places to live in Bay City, there aren't many rentals in the area outside the historic district's subdivided Victorians; from what I've seen those apartments, for the most part, aren't extremely nice and are relatively cheap, though there are a few that are nice. There will be some respectable suburban townhouses, but those are less in quantity than both Midland and Saginaw. Still though, downtown Bay City has some decent rental spaces. If you search for the Mill-End building which was recently demolished, there is a new mixed-use complex going up in its place which is set to have around twenty rental units of varying sizes. That building won't be complete for a while yet, though.

There is an additional mixed-use development going up on a former brownfield site nearby that is also set to include rental units, though it won't have the same historic vibe as the building mentioned previously due to the fact that the site is being completely rebuilt, so it will include modern elements like minimum parking requirements. This very development actually is set to include an expansion from Dow Corning, which is moving and or creating, as I've read, 500 jobs in this centrally located area. You'll be able to see this area being developed while you live in the area.

With Bay City you should know that most of the bars here are located on the West side of the river whereas most of the non-suburban rental properties are on the East. We do have taxi services, but there are relatively few, though you should be able to get one with relative ease if you're just heading home from a bar on Midland Street.

Midland is a really upstanding community, although it's a little sterile IMO. You'll find that they often have more resources than both Bay City and Saginaw, and the general quality of life may be slightly higher as a result. This is largely due to the presence of Dow Chemical (they do spread the wealth though; you'll find that both Bay City and Saginaw contain numerous things carrying the Dow namesake).

Midland does have bars, but their environment may be slightly more mature due to the local demographic. Midland is a real family town. I would call it fiscally conservative, and socially, for lack of a better term, politically correct. Bay City and Saginaw are both working class environments, so the people tend be more in line with pro-worker, union ideals. Socially, they might be slightly less religiously conservative than Midland, if that's important to you.

I'm not sure about Midland's downtown as far as places to live, although they do have the second best downtown behind Bay City (IMO), the area is more geared toward suburban living. I know there are a lot of decent, suburban townhouses there though.

wooooh

Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 PM

90 posts, read 62,683 times
One more thing. If you decide suburban living close to work is preferential, I would suggest living in Auburn. It's a small bedroom community of 2000 people situated around a high school, but there are quite a few rental units in the surrounding area. Auburn is closer to Dow Corning than both Bay City and Midland, but it doesn't have much to offer aside from being a decent place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan