Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 07:55 PM

39 posts, read 108,609 times

Advertisements

i was driving down grand river in east lansing between Park Lake and Hagadorn i passed what looked to be an abandoned trailer park, does anyone remember anything about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:19 PM

43 posts, read 86,604 times
I remember it, don't know much about it. I think the old East Lansing Inn was close by, don't even know if that is still there. It was just an beater of an old motel back when I lived in the area in the early 80's.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:31 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
I remember it. Yep, a trailer park on Grand River. It was very strange.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 AM

222 posts, read 811,021 times
It was there when I moved to Okemos 25 years ago, and probably closed 10-15 years ago now.

Don't remember the reason exactly, but I think there was an issue with the owner either not paying taxes or not maintaining the property to East Lansing code standards. (I also remember something about a fire.)

There was also an ongoing problem with long term renters and students who would come and go each school year. I think eventually the city shut it down and let people move out as their leases expired (took quite a while as I recall) and then there was supposed to be big plans for the land, but that never materialized.

Anyone know any more?

Old 01-22-2013, 05:22 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
The motel is now apartments.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:00 PM

39 posts, read 108,609 times
what about the trailer park On Park Lake Rd right before I-69.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
The one on Washington just south of 96 is stunning.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganbob View Post
It was there when I moved to Okemos 25 years ago, and probably closed 10-15 years ago now.

Don't remember the reason exactly, but I think there was an issue with the owner either not paying taxes or not maintaining the property to East Lansing code standards. (I also remember something about a fire.)

There was also an ongoing problem with long term renters and students who would come and go each school year. I think eventually the city shut it down and let people move out as their leases expired (took quite a while as I recall) and then there was supposed to be big plans for the land, but that never materialized.

Anyone know any more?
I grew up in the vicinity and there are a lot of kids (late 80s-early 90s) who went to school with me from there. From what I understand, it's an old trailer park that had been around since WWII times. A lot of the mobile homes there were in poor condition and moving them to another location was cost prohibitive. Also, the park is technically in Meridian Township, not East Lansing, so the kids there went to Okemos schools.

I do remember sometime around 2002-03 or so, there were a bunch of proposed developments on that site, but they involved really dense housing and commercial units that were opposed by residents in the area. After that, I think the park fell apart - I'm not entirely sure what happened, but I think the owner wanted out. It's kind of sad, because if you go by there today, there are a ton of abandoned utility hookups with only about 5-10 trailers still there.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:32 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Looks like Whole Foods will be going into this location. As soon as I read the article I remembered the thread on this site...

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/a...e-Foods-Market

Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 PM

27 posts, read 50,162 times
I went to elemtary school right next door to the trailer park. I use to get into fights with the kids that lived there all the time! Back in the late 70s and early 80s the parents in Okemos did not want there kids to go to school with poor and working class kids, so even though we lived in townhouses and apartments on the east side of Okemos, we were all bused to Wardcliff Elementary that sits in Okemos's working class community and sits next to the old trailer park on the west side. I had quite a shock when I got to Kinawa Middle School and relized I was looked down on for being working class. This is a example of how the Lansing area dose not segregate by race, but by social class. I guess it's better than racism. That trailer park was a bad place!! It is now being replaced with Whole Foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan