U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,843 times
Default Ann Arbor to Dearborn Commute

Hi,

I am considering accepting a job located in Dearborn and would like to live in Ann Arbor. I would, however, like to get some opinions on the commute time between the two cities.

1) What is the average commute time by car? (travelling into Dearborn in the morning and towards Ann Arbor in the evening).

2) I noticed there is an Amtrak station in both locations. Is the train a feasible method of commuting? I noticed that the time between the two stations is about 30min?

Thank you for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
Depends on the time of day and where in Dearborn and where in Ann Arbor. I you are reasonably close to the 94 freeway on both ends, you can probably make it in less than 40 minutes. Rucsh hour may make that a bit more difficult, but things move along pretty well. It will vary when there is snow, construction, accidents. It will also change when they start ripping up the 94 to rebuild it.

The train is not very reliable. It can be an hour or more late.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:18 PM

I would be need to be in Dearborn before 8am and leaving around 5PM. Is there planned construction on 94 fairly regularly?

The train is that unreliable? That's a shame..

Has anyone has success with the train on this commute?

Thank you for the information and any additional comments are welcome.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:39 PM

3,059 posts, read 2,552,608 times
Part of the reason is because the rail line is also a freight route. Much of the time, passenger trains are held up by slower moving freight trains. There's plans to maybe upgrade the network and have dedicated passenger rail lines and commuter trains, but I wouldn't be able to give you a definitive date on that.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM

895 posts, read 842,619 times
There is no other way besides driving - there are no commuter trains in SE Michigan, and next to no other intracity public transit (AATA serves Ypsi and AA, but nothing else, etc.)

Your two basic options would be I-94 (construction is often, but not constant) or Michigan Ave. I-94 will be a whole lot quicker, but if you need any surface driving, your looking at about an hour commute.
Michigan Ave is quick compared to most streets, but at best it's a 55mph street (Canton area) and like 35mph east of 275. During rush hour, probably 90 minutes minimum.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM

15,820 posts, read 30,869,110 times
THere is a plan to rebuild I-94. However whether it will ever get funded is anybody's guess.

My daughter can get to the Henry Ford form Lyon township in 44 minutes. I think she takes Michigan Ave.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:20 AM

305 posts, read 200,506 times
I work in Dearborn with several coworkers that make the daily commute from Ann Arbor. They don't seem to mind the trip, but I do hear the ocassional complaint about traffic/weather.

Depending on where you live in Ann Arbor and where you work in Dearborn, you have the option of taking either I-94 of M-14/I-96/M-39.

The reality is that Dearborn-Ann Arbor is no worse, and in many ways a better commute than going to/from Dearborn to Northern Troy, Rochester Hills, Shelby Twp. At least there is more freeway driving and less cross-town congestion and surface streets.

I've done Dearborn to Ann Arbor during evening rush hour on several occasions and its not bad.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM

743 posts, read 763,130 times
I did the commute from Ann Arbor to Dearborn for a year and it wasn't too bad. I lived closer to 23 than 94 so I spent some time getting to 94 and my Dearborn destination was right off 94 but 40 minutes sounds about right. In the morning, it should be bad if you are leaving A2 pretty early. Leaving Dearborn at 5 might be busier. And yes, snow/ice can slow you down but it was only ever really bad a few times during the winter. I do know people who have done the commute daily for years and are fine with it.

Second the suggestion, though, to try and live closer to I-94.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:37 PM

340 posts, read 331,358 times
I live on the Taylor/Dearborn border. On school days I commute from Dearborn (U of M campus) to Ann Arbor at the hospital.

The average commute is around 30-35 minutes, depending on how far you are away from 94/96. Being that you will be leaving from AA to Dearborn, you won't have the busing issue.

Curious, why AA over downtown Detroit?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:36 AM

AA sounds like a cool place to live from my research and has a lively 'scene'. I haven't really considered Detriot but I guess that could be an option as well. I'll have to visit both cities before making any decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan