U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 AM

137 posts, read 385,543 times

Advertisements

Yes, I have internet access, hehe. I will try to find the website and try that. TY

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianhorselover View Post
I would go directly to the Marquette General website to find information.

Do you have internet access?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM

760 posts, read 1,514,550 times
The better jobs up here are rarely listed. You have to visit the websites of the companies you're interested in on a regular basis (google is your friend), let people know what you're looking for, and drive around keeping an eye out for help wanted signs. Example: My wifes job which is the reason we were able to move up here was never in the paper.
Word of mouth up here saves the cost of advertising. My boss decided to hire someone. After asking around she put an ad in the paper late tuesday morning. I heard about it (word of mouth) at noon. Was at her door interviewing at 2pm and was immdiately hired. Boss tried calling the paper to retract her ad but it was too late. She was mad that she hadn't waited too! So she recieved several applications. She kept them on file.
Fast forward 5 + months. One of my coworkers is leaving. Rather then running another ad my boss just went through the applications from FIVE months ago, called the best candidate and hired her. I start training her tonight in fact. Didn't even have to call anyone else. This is just a taste of how things tend to work up here which is why I tell people to move here, take whatever job you can to get by, then search for a better job. Pay off your debts beforehand so you can get by with less money. You will see very little of "keeping up with the jones's up here". We simply could care less what you drive/wear/etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:16 PM

That's what we like about the UP.....Not having to care what people think about our duds and car.....An example of that down here......My fiance workED with a guy who had to work overtime to buy each of his kids $150 sneakers......then, got fired for stealing toilet paper from the plant lol! I'm getting conflicting opinions about jobs though....Some say make sure we have employment before moving....some say move then look around. I'd kinda like to have a handle on it. I am so afraid we'll get there and not get employment. Our home IS up for sale now so things are starting to move ahead. I guess I'm just a worry wart.....I worry things aren't going to work out and we'll be jobless and homeless lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
The better jobs up here are rarely listed. You have to visit the websites of the companies you're interested in on a regular basis (google is your friend), let people know what you're looking for, and drive around keeping an eye out for help wanted signs. Example: My wifes job which is the reason we were able to move up here was never in the paper.
Word of mouth up here saves the cost of advertising. My boss decided to hire someone. After asking around she put an ad in the paper late tuesday morning. I heard about it (word of mouth) at noon. Was at her door interviewing at 2pm and was immdiately hired. Boss tried calling the paper to retract her ad but it was too late. She was mad that she hadn't waited too! So she recieved several applications. She kept them on file.
Fast forward 5 + months. One of my coworkers is leaving. Rather then running another ad my boss just went through the applications from FIVE months ago, called the best candidate and hired her. I start training her tonight in fact. Didn't even have to call anyone else. This is just a taste of how things tend to work up here which is why I tell people to move here, take whatever job you can to get by, then search for a better job. Pay off your debts beforehand so you can get by with less money. You will see very little of "keeping up with the jones's up here". We simply could care less what you drive/wear/etc.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM

That's why I stress for people to get rid of as much debt as possible before moving up here (they should anyways). Personally, my wife and I would both work at one of the local gas stations if that's what it took to get up here. Thankfully we did not have to go that route (been there, done that).
If someone moves up here with two monthly car payments, three monthly credit card payments, still have to maintain their monthly living expenses, and think they're going to get a job right off the bat to pay for all of that............Well...... Good Luck!
If you plan it out carefully and are not too prideful about what job you take initially, then there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:04 PM

Ya certainly didn't describe us when ya said "If someone moves up here with two monthly car payments, three monthly credit card payments, still have to maintain their monthly living expenses, and think they're going to get a job right off the bat to pay for all of that............Well...... Good Luck!" That'd just be assinine to make a major move with that much on your plate....IMHO. We are just about as debt-free as can be and don't care what type of job we have......The point I'm trying to make is will even a gas station job be available?!?! Also, just becuz we are virtually debt-free doesn't mean we can go a month or 2 with no income. Maybe I just worry too much. I just hope it all works out properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
That's why I stress for people to get rid of as much debt as possible before moving up here (they should anyways). Personally, my wife and I would both work at one of the local gas stations if that's what it took to get up here. Thankfully we did not have to go that route (been there, done that).
If someone moves up here with two monthly car payments, three monthly credit card payments, still have to maintain their monthly living expenses, and think they're going to get a job right off the bat to pay for all of that............Well...... Good Luck!
If you plan it out carefully and are not too prideful about what job you take initially, then there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:41 PM

Okay, guess I just need to clean out the empty space between my ears! There are always basic service jobs available (gas station, retail, restaraunt work, etc). This city is no different from any other in that manner. Also with the tourist season revving up again soon there will be hospitality jobs galore soon. Plus the cleaning businesses are always hiring. Just the other day I was driving around and noticed three or four help wanted signs for jobs that aren't in the paper and I wasn't even actively looking. You may have to pound the pavement a bit but they're there.
Also once you get up here, keep in touch with nice residents like me (lol) who'll pass along job openings we hear about.
We also have a Michigan Works employment center right here in town for A LOT of jobs which are not advertised in the paper.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck!

I should note that I'm only speaking for the Marquette area. I do not know much about the economy of the rest of the U.P.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:11 AM

Sounds like we'll probably move then find employment. My fiance has his resume on the Michigan Works website. Keep your fingers crossed that our house will sell for what we're asking!!! It'll give us a little bit to live on but, not forever lol. I just can't wait! Every day that goes by is 1 day closer to our dream!!! Wooohooooooooo lol!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,076 times
People really dont know so that really isnt a problem. The cops have an idea though. Break Ins are from local punks and the drugs are locals and college students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Are you serious? That sounds more like a Chamber of Commerce initiative rather than a criminal gang.

How do folks know they are in a gang if they aren't causing problems?

Any idea on what the source of most of the crime is? Is it locals, college kids, or what? Are the break-ins mostly businesses, residences, or both?

Old 04-01-2007, 06:47 PM

32 posts, read 84,592 times
I would stay away form the up, it was hard to find work when the economy was booming, Your best bet is north michigan around petoskey,gaylord,traverse city.
There are many good opertunities to buy property at below market value, and you will have the best chance to find work.
They all have good shopping and medical facilities.
I dont know how long before there will be an up turn, but it is nice up north in the summer and fall.

Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 AM

That would defeat the purpose of moving to our dream I understand the northern LP isn't far from the UP but, the UP is where we want to be.....less employment opps. or not. Thank you for the advice though

Quote:
Originally Posted by adler2u View Post
I would stay away form the up, it was hard to find work when the economy was booming, Your best bet is north michigan around petoskey,gaylord,traverse city.
There are many good opertunities to buy property at below market value, and you will have the best chance to find work.
They all have good shopping and medical facilities.
I dont know how long before there will be an up turn, but it is nice up north in the summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan