Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 32,982 times

Advertisements

I love Traverse city! It seems like it has got it all. Just curious what anyone might feel it is lacking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
To us, TC has it all. Great location, great food, almost every kind of store you could want, boating, skiing, beaches, wineries, awesome breweries, hiking...what more could you want? That's one of of the many reasons we will be moving there asap. Love it!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM

12 posts, read 18,714 times
Traverse City has all of the modern conveniences that people need. It is a hip town for people to visit and many of them decide to stay. Which is good other than Traverse City has not kept pace with its population growth. The roadways within the city limits are in poor shape, with routes leading in and out of the city being narrow and congested. There are basically two major roads for crosstown traffic, each being a hassle during morning/evening commutes. There is a reason that many locals refer to it as "Traffic City". I'm not sure how to address the problems or if there is a way to remedy the situation. We used to have summer tourist season traffic issues, but now the traffic is year around.

I'm 35 and have lived and worked in Grand Traverse county for most of my life. Other than college in East Lansing and 6 years in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti. I have been a lurker here on CD for about 5 years and see a lot of posters relate information about the TC area. Many of them do not live here and I thought I'd finally post a little of what I experience daily.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvondrummer View Post
Traverse City has all of the modern conveniences that people need. It is a hip town for people to visit and many of them decide to stay. Which is good other than Traverse City has not kept pace with its population growth. The roadways within the city limits are in poor shape, with routes leading in and out of the city being narrow and congested. There are basically two major roads for crosstown traffic, each being a hassle during morning/evening commutes. There is a reason that many locals refer to it as "Traffic City". I'm not sure how to address the problems or if there is a way to remedy the situation. We used to have summer tourist season traffic issues, but now the traffic is year around.

I'm 35 and have lived and worked in Grand Traverse county for most of my life. Other than college in East Lansing and 6 years in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti. I have been a lurker here on CD for about 5 years and see a lot of posters relate information about the TC area. Many of them do not live here and I thought I'd finally post a little of what I experience daily.
Congestion = commerce, embrace it. If you build a ring-highway around TC, you will forever regret it.

Incorporate more shuttle buses or a trolley from the hotel area on 31 to downtown.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM

104 posts, read 241,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvondrummer View Post
...with routes leading in and out of the city being narrow and congested. There are basically two major roads for crosstown traffic, each being a hassle during morning/evening commutes. There is a reason that many locals refer to it as "Traffic City". I'm not sure how to address the problems or if there is a way to remedy the situation.
I definitely sympathize with you. Traffic is one of the main reasons I haven't vacationed in the Northwest towns in several years. They are just too congested and stressful during the summer months. The older I get, the more I appreciate a quiet getaway, and in spite of the beauty of cities like TC and Petoskey, the traffic can be completely overwhelming. But, that is going to come naturally to a place like yours.

I think Magellan is right though-- constructing thurofares has a high potential to backfire. Those roads will end up just as congested as all the others soon enough, but instead of having a city congested, you'll have a slightly uglier, congested city. I think the trolley could be a real solution.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:40 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I agree traffic can be bad in TC. However, the town has so much to offer that I don't consider it to be more than a minor distraction. I can see how those who live there can tire of it on a day after day basis.

Traverse has everything I could ever want. Shopping is great and food is really excellent. The natural setting around the bay is gorgeous. It's got culture and many things for people to be involved in. I feel so lucky we have such a great city here in northern Michigan.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I agree traffic can be bad in TC. However, the town has so much to offer that I don't consider it to be more than a minor distraction. I can see how those who live there can tire of it on a day after day basis.

Traverse has everything I could ever want. Shopping is great and food is really excellent. The natural setting around the bay is gorgeous. It's got culture and many things for people to be involved in. I feel so lucky we have such a great city here in northern Michigan.
I totally agree about traffic being a minor inconvenience. We usually just park wherever...and walk. Whenever we have been caught up in the traffic, I usually just find myself staring out at the bay, or just thinking I really didn't care because I am just happy to be in a city I love so much.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
Needs more non-tourism or non-service industry jobs.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 AM

14 posts, read 41,083 times
Traverse is beautiful. Stunning water views. It all depends on your want/need/desires. Place is expensive to many on a year around basis. Used to just be Summer now you pay for year around tourism. Traffic I still dont get as it is fine even on 4th of July compared to any metropolitan area. Jobs are mostly based on service industry. If you have the dough or live very simply without a family or kids Traverse is amazing. If you have the dough and can afford the area then Traverse is perfect. Young families starting out that need factory type work or tourism jobs then Traverse can be a struggle because of housing costs and commute costs. Restaurants are very expensive as far as I am concerned. I truly feel Traverse has lost its "it" factor but still is amazing for many people. Roads are horrific at best, just horrible. Go down 8th street or on the waterfont by the state park and you have pothole heaven.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
It's missing neighbors. Way too isolated up there, nothing is nearby except a lot of even smaller towns. For example, I love Lansing partly because of what it has, but also partly because it's by practically everything. Within 90 minutes (or less) you can get to Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Coldwater, Mount Pleasant, Bay City, and even Indiana or Ohio. Within 90 minutes of Traverse City... Charlevoix, Gaylord, Grayling, and Houghton Lake; and none of those really have much either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan