Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 PM

72 posts, read 142,215 times

Advertisements

Visited Porcupine State Park about 10 years ago and stayed in a motel with a Silver City address, the tap water tasted kind of funky, like sulfur or rust. I assume it was well water since it was a pretty rural location. Was wondering how the tap water is in the Marquette and/or Houghton-Hancock areas? For those with well water, how about your water? Do folks use filters or what? Couldn't find a lot online after a short search so thought I'd ask here, or if you know of any studies or info, maybe leave a link. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 PM

119 posts, read 284,663 times
For the most part the tap water is very good here. It depends where the water comes from of coarse. The lakes aren't as good as wells. I live not too far from PM and my well water is fantastic.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:18 PM

302 posts, read 768,936 times
I don't know about the water in the Marquette and Houghton areas, but the tap water here on the East side, in the Sault Ste. Marie area is fantastic. Kinross township, about twenty miles away from the Soo was voted the best water in Michigan a few years ago. The water in the city of Sault Ste. Marie is of the same quality.

When I went down for school to Kalamazoo, I was pretty shocked to discover how terrible the water was in comparison. I went from exclusively drinking tape water to being a bottled water addict. I guess I was spoiled by the water up here!

Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,080 times
Tap water here in Iron Mountain tastes good, and boy does it get cold! Haven't tried well water, but did when I was in N. MI, not only was it a funky color (like light rusty colored), but it tasted funky as well, lol.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 PM

51 posts, read 67,109 times
The water has a lot of minerals and tastes amazing. I used a Brita filter and it was fine.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 AM

88 posts, read 93,955 times
Never had a problem with the water here in Marquette. I'm on city water here but have also tasted the well water in other parts of the U.P. and it tasted surprisingly good.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
I have relatives in Trenary that sunk a well and are tapped into the most pristine water ive ever tasted. No filters no sofener I couldnt believe it. Somethig to do with the way the glasiers retreated and the rock and gravel was left to naturally filter the water. I guess you can not run an industrial operation where demand swould be heavy for water. But for someone who wants to build a home or camp I dont think you will find fresher water on the planet

Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
I have relatives in Trenary that sunk a well and are tapped into the most pristine water ive ever tasted. No filters no sofener I couldnt believe it. Somethig to do with the way the glasiers retreated and the rock and gravel was left to naturally filter the water. I guess you can not run an industrial operation where demand swould be heavy for water. But for someone who wants to build a home or camp I dont think you will find fresher water on the planet
That is why drilling water wells in Michigan is so touchy.

I have drilled a 40 foot well and the next one very close go 400 foot.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,239,745 times
I don't know why anyone would want anything but good fresh well water.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:13 PM

29 posts, read 49,019 times
The water in the Houghton-Hancock area tastes good, a little minerally. We haven't had it tested, but are not here long-term, so I can't speak to leeching from past mining ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan