Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 AM

19 posts, read 41,666 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am moving to Grand Rapids very soon for a job transfer.
NEVER been there but all I have researched looks great.
More snow that where I grew up in Southern Illinois but that's what Timberlands are for, right?
I am thinking about breaking a common rule and buying right after moving there (rather than renting first)
This is in part because I have pets, I hate to rent and dearly want to buy a home again. (After renting in Hawaii for the last four years)
Anyone with any insight regarding buying right away?
I have a realtor and she seems experienced.
I am not worried about school districts, but want a nice area with things close enough to walk to, but still peaceful. I do like older homes with character. House is a must (no condo).
Have heard a little on Heritage Hills, Eastown. Any particular areas that are nice, but fun and easy to get to downtown via walking or bicycle? Any particular downtown areas that are better to be close to? (I like fun and maybe a little classy bars or restaurants, coffee shops, little shops, etc....)
I am clueless about GR at this point, so any input, on any topic would probably be enlightening.
Really looking forward to getting settled in and making some friends.
Thanks for any input. Can't wait to get there and let it all unfold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 05:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
You might not care about schools, but what about when you ready to sell?

We really like EAst Town. Right now we are looking at renting (or buying) if the terms / price are right for us. Great business area that is very walkable and houses that are bursting with character.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
You might want to post this in the Grand Rapids sub-forum~you might get a better feel for neighborhoods etc. I'm really impressed with how areas in East Grand Rapids have held their value and been kept up. The area(s) around Bretton Woods School seem pretty decent. Rose Lake has a great walking/bike trail path and a cute little village area that is busy year round. Downtown is fun, lots of bistro's, bars, shopping, museums, and Meijer Gardens has a great line up of summer concerts.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:02 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperstarK View Post
Hi
I am moving to Grand Rapids very soon for a job transfer.
NEVER been there but all I have researched looks great.
More snow that where I grew up in Southern Illinois but that's what Timberlands are for, right?
I am thinking about breaking a common rule and buying right after moving there (rather than renting first)
This is in part because I have pets, I hate to rent and dearly want to buy a home again. (After renting in Hawaii for the last four years)
Anyone with any insight regarding buying right away?
I have a realtor and she seems experienced.
I am not worried about school districts, but want a nice area with things close enough to walk to, but still peaceful. I do like older homes with character. House is a must (no condo).
Have heard a little on Heritage Hills, Eastown. Any particular areas that are nice, but fun and easy to get to downtown via walking or bicycle? Any particular downtown areas that are better to be close to? (I like fun and maybe a little classy bars or restaurants, coffee shops, little shops, etc....)
I am clueless about GR at this point, so any input, on any topic would probably be enlightening.
Really looking forward to getting settled in and making some friends.
Thanks for any input. Can't wait to get there and let it all unfold!
If schools aren't a big concern, don't overspend in East Grand Rapids. You can get an identical house across the city line for way less, in a same type neighborhood (same house character, similar age, same crime rates, virtually identical services, lower taxes).

What's your price range? Homes in Heritage Hill, Cherry Hill Historic District, East Hills, Eastown etc. vary from $50,000 (for a foreclosed home) up to $300,000 or $400,000.

The Wealthy and Union area has small shops, coffee (Rowsters), Wealthy St Bakery, The Winchester. You can definitely bike or walk to downtown from there.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:37 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
Old Grandville has some nicer old homes and for the most part has keep relatively safe. There are also older homes in the North side of GR. The city of Rockford has very nice older and well kept homes. Downtown Rockford has a few bars, restaurants, and shops. You may want to go into short term rental so you can check out all of the nicer areas and see what works for you.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 AM

19 posts, read 41,666 times
Thank you all for these posts.
It seems like I continue to get pointed toward some similar areas, so those will be a great place to start.

I may still need a short term, month to month rental before I close on something. Hopefully the perfect home will show itself soon to me!
Zthatzman I do understand your point on the schools and resale and will keep that in mind.
Teach each I will try posting this in the other forum.
Magellan I would like to stay under $200k. Lower would even be better and give me the budget to personalize and furnish nicely. I have noticed nice places lower than $189k.
I think a garage is imperative so the scraping ice and snow at 7am can be kept to a minimum.
Cassy I thought about Grandville and will check it out, but is it as walkable to restaurants, shops, etc as the Heritage Hills or Eastown areas?
I may need to take a month to month or short term rental that accepts pets, until I close on a home. Any suggestions?
Thanks again all!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Cassy I thought about Grandville and will check it out, but is it as walkable to restaurants, shops, etc as the Heritage Hills or Eastown areas?
Grandville = suburbia. I think you could technically walk to certain things if you lived in the right spot, but for the most part it is not what I could consider a walkable community.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,966 times
Fulton Heights. Perfect.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,695 times
Michigan83 is correct, not really a walkable community. There is an older part with bakery, and small shops, businesses, etc. but not like other smaller areas (ones known for walking). There is everything within a 5 to 10 minute drive tho. My daughter lives in the older part, and I really like it. Younger people are buying up the older, more affordable homes.

I live in Rockford, and it too is suburb, but the city of Rockford is all walkable. Check all of them out.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Michigan83 is correct, not really a walkable community. There is an older part with bakery, and small shops, businesses, etc. but not like other smaller areas (ones known for walking). There is everything within a 5 to 10 minute drive tho. My daughter lives in the older part, and I really like it. Younger people are buying up the older, more affordable homes.

I live in Rockford, and it too is suburb, but the city of Rockford is all walkable. Check all of them out.
True, the "old" part of Grandville does have a main street with quite a few businesses. If someone lived in one of the old neighborhoods right there, you could walk to quite a few things.

But I'm not sure if it's a place where people really walk much. Most people are driving everywhere and you have to be careful and dodge traffic.

The city of Rockford is definitely walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan