Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM

27 posts, read 116,943 times

Advertisements

Moving to MI in a few months and one of my job prospects is in Saginaw while my fiance's job will be in Flint. What are the nicer areas to live in?

We currently live in NYC and are realistic it will be a big contrast; however, if we live somewhere in between Saginaw & Flint, are there active cities nearby? I assume AA and Lansing are the closest ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,046,806 times
Still a distance to Lansing. Ann Arbor is probably not a realistic drive for most activities. Realistically you would be inbetween nothing. Vassar to the east and Chesaning to the west? May be Clo? Saginaw and Flint would be the closest cities for activites.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM

92,004 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Frankenmuth?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:29 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmoral View Post
Moving to MI in a few months and one of my job prospects is in Saginaw while my fiance's job will be in Flint. What are the nicer areas to live in?

We currently live in NYC and are realistic it will be a big contrast; however, if we live somewhere in between Saginaw & Flint, are there active cities nearby? I assume AA and Lansing are the closest ones?
No big city action there - about what you would expect from either Flint or Saginaw themselves. That is farming country - even all around the thumb. Rustic recreation starts at Lake Huron.
This satellite view says a lot. The lighter areas are farmlands and the darker are rustic forestlands. Tourism is along the lakes. Yes, get ready to downsize your existence to cities like Flint, Saginaw, and Bay City. That's politically conservative outstate Michigan. There is enjoyable touring along Lake Huron, but lots more along Lake Michigan, a favorite area of Chicagoans and other out-of-staters.

Google Maps

Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback. That was what I initially thought about (rural) when I looked at the area between Saginaw and Flint. It will be hard transitioning from the heart of NYC to farms. It will definitely factor in where we want to live. I may have a good job opportunity there but maybe taking a risk when it comes to employment and finding something south of Flint (closer to AA or Detroit) would be better.

Always hard moving and trying to find a job...

Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,861,341 times
I would live in Frankenmuth

Old 03-29-2013, 07:59 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,893,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmoral View Post
Thanks for the feedback. That was what I initially thought about (rural) when I looked at the area between Saginaw and Flint. It will be hard transitioning from the heart of NYC to farms. It will definitely factor in where we want to live. I may have a good job opportunity there but maybe taking a risk when it comes to employment and finding something south of Flint (closer to AA or Detroit) would be better.

Always hard moving and trying to find a job...
The question is, how badly do you need those big city amenities, how much, and what type?
I see different qualities in each of the cities - Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Ann Arbor, Detroit and suburbs, Lansing, Pontiac, whatever.
Ann Arbor is what you would expect of a larger college town. Detroit - sprawly neighborhoods with not much going on, gritty, pockets of blight and crime, trendy areas, underground art and music scenes, a metro area with neat places to visit, uncertainty and change.
Definitely more interesting overall than outstate and plenty more to do, but on a smaller scale than NYC.
Then too, assuming you do some research, what are your skills and where are they marketable. That's about it...

Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM

104 posts, read 240,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
I would live in Frankenmuth
Frankenmuth is a really nice community but it's situated around the Bavarian Inn and would get quite cheesy after the novelty wore off. It's also a very religious and conservative town, which could dissuade OP.

I would tell you to check out living in Saginaw. Commuting on the expressway is only about 40-45 minutes to Flint, all on 675 and 75. Not to mention, if you're living in Frankenmuth, it's going to take an extra 10-15 minutes to the expressway and more in winter since the country roads have to deal with blowing snow.

I know quite a few people who commute from the Tri-Cities to Flint regularly and have heard no real complaints.

Living in the Flint area of course will offer you more opportunities to travel deeper into the Detroit metro area, but I am not as well versed on good communities in the Flint area. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Last edited by MSwartz; 03-29-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:41 AM

302 posts, read 764,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post

Living in the Flint area of course will offer you more opportunities to travel deeper into the Detroit metro area, but I am not as well versed on good communities in the Flint area. Maybe someone else can chime in.
In this situation, closer to Flint might be the way to go: Grand Blanc, Davision, maybe? If the OP is used to big city amenities, they will want to be able to get down to the Detroit-Ann Arbor area on the weekend, which is much more doable from the Flint area then Saginaw. Flint has a decent sized airport too, don't they? That might be an important factor for the OP.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 AM

Thank you everyone from your input. Should work out a position in Saginaw, maybe it would be better to stay around the Flint area compared to Saginaw just to have to opportunity to get some "big city" culture. Frankenmuth geographically might be something to consider but the conservative and religious culture might be a big shift from liberal hedonistic NYC.

Occupationally, my job market is either in healthcare or academia (I just mention Saginaw since there might be a specific opening there) so I assume Lansing/AA/Detroit will prove to be a bigger job market for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan