Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 PM

69 posts, read 166,696 times

Advertisements

Lived in the UP and Detroit area for many years. I now live in San Diego, and boy do I miss the seasons Michigan had to offer. I wake up every day, and its the same thing. Sunny. It was great at first, but after being here 5 years, its gotten a little old. I miss a good thunderstorm, or even a cloudy day for that matter .I don't even remember the last time it rained here... And I would kill for a snowstorm.....Ahh, the good old days.Not to mention the cheap prices ....I miss it alot..

Last edited by Northern Drifter; 09-12-2008 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Drifter View Post
Lived in the UP and Detroit area for many years. I now live in San Diego, and boy do I miss the seasons Michigan had to offer. I wake up every day, and its the same thing. Sunny. It was great at first, but after being here 5 years, its gotten a little old. I miss a good thunderstorm, or even a cloudy day for that matter .I don't even remember the last time it rained here... And I would kill for a snowstorm.....Ahh, the good old days.Not to mention the cheap prices ....I miss it alot..
Easy stuff to write, but on a cold dark morning when you're trying to chip a heavy layer of ice off the car windshield to get to work you might have a less romantic view of winter. Especially when the freezing rain goes down your neck and your hands start to ache from the cold and the exertion.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:11 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
I just closed on my house this morning, and will move out this weekend. I plan on taking a roadtrip down south to find a job and a place I would like to live.

I think though, that if things work out for me the way I am expecting, I may be back in a few years. It would be a shame for my grandson to not be able to spend a few weeks in the summer in the Traverse City area.

I will miss it, but I need to get out of Dodge for a bit.
Good luck Rapunzll. I hope God smiles on your move and good fortune comes your way.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:48 AM

364 posts, read 877,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Easy stuff to write, but on a cold dark morning when you're trying to chip a heavy layer of ice off the car windshield to get to work you might have a less romantic view of winter. Especially when the freezing rain goes down your neck and your hands start to ache from the cold and the exertion.
I can see the posters point 100% about killing for a snowstorm. I could not survive a single year without a change of seasons, let alone 5. Some years we dont even get a bad ice storm, so as for freezing rain going down your neck...its something we have to deal with on its rare occurance, oh well. Id rather be freezing cold for 5 minutes than have to evacuate due to a hurricane.

Cant wait for the first snow in November!

Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM

123 posts, read 487,992 times
I am the first to say how the cold and winter is not very pleasant. I have lived in Mi most of my life and never can get used to it. I moved to Socal for 8 months and that was so wonderful the sunshine and warmth. I had to come back for health issues. Anyhow I do think people need to look at more then just the weather but what will give them a quality of life and the best opportunity. My friend moved to Socal and just could not afford it. I feel for her the stress of making ends meet and working 2 jobs with little free time made the move not worth it. On a side note with weather I am a warm weather gal but Fl I was there for 3 weeks thinking of moving there at one time and that is so humid and hot like hard to breath. Of course I knew it was hot but never would I have thought so uncomfortable. I know that the winters would be better and why many retired people go for the winter only. My suggestion is to visit the place before because when others tell you some of the cons of a place it is hard to believe that it can really be that big of a con when you focus on the positives.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:50 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Very true. I love looking at pictures and videos of ice and snow storms. I'm not sure I could ever get used to living them again. The bad thing is -- once you live where weather is almost always nice, it's hard to go back to shoveling snow or paying high heating bills.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I moved from Michigan to AZ for a teaching job. Probably the saddest thing I ever had to do. I intend to move back as soon as I can find a job.

1. Unbearable heat in AZ or mild cold in MI? This place was too hot in late March. Plus its so dry you constantly feel dehydrated.

2. Horrible education system. Underfunded schools, you can make so much more with a lot less education here. I know teaching is a calling but you need to make enough to live in a decent place and pay for all your class materials that the state doesn't help with.

3. People here are unfriendly and rude.

4. Housing overpriced. It will be overpriced until the median home price drops below 150k.
I don't blame you for wanting to move back.

We were transferred to Scottsdale, AZ 1 1/2 years ago, and returned to MI this past July.

*People in AZ are very unfriendly! It's all about them, what they drive, own, looks, NO Midwest Values.

**Dry heat??? Please, 100-110 degrees in the summer is unbearable! Don't let anyone fool you.

**Housing is still expensive and you surely don't get much for the money.

**Believe me, not seeing grass, rainy/cloudy days is hard. People may think they want to see the sun everyday, but you'd be surprised.

**Illegal immigration is terrible.

**I've read in the major newspaper there, is when you move to Phoenix, you must be able to fit in. It's becoming California.

**I wouldn't want to raise a family there, and I'm glad I didn't have too. So happy to be back in MI!!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Moved to Tucson 3 years ago for work. I've regretted it ever since. Noting holds a candle to Michigan.
I understand. We just re-located back to MI in July from Scottsdale. We were there for 1 1/2 years and everyday I wished I was back in MI. I could never adjust to the different lifestyle and the rudeness of the people. No matter what people say, MI is a great place to live! I hope you can get back soon!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 PM

132 posts, read 461,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
I can see the posters point 100% about killing for a snowstorm. I could not survive a single year without a change of seasons, let alone 5. Some years we dont even get a bad ice storm, so as for freezing rain going down your neck...its something we have to deal with on its rare occurance, oh well. Id rather be freezing cold for 5 minutes than have to evacuate due to a hurricane.

Cant wait for the first snow in November!
I lived in MI for 29 years and never had freezing rain running down my neck (and it's not too regular an occurance anyway)...Scraping ice off the windshield is usually made easy if you just start your car a few minutes early.

I agree with you... four seasons is the way to go!

Old 09-17-2008, 06:30 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota94 View Post
I don't blame you for wanting to move back.

We were transferred to Scottsdale, AZ 1 1/2 years ago, and returned to MI this past July.

**Believe me, not seeing grass, rainy/cloudy days is hard. People may think they want to see the sun everyday, but you'd be surprised.
I'm with you. I find just a couple of weeks straight of sun and 80+ days gets to be oppressive. And so does our landscaping, as the grass begins to brown (even with UG sprinkling), the shrubs begin to wilt, the bugs come out in force, ugggh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan